What's new

Tom's 79' SSII @woodbinebeastssii time for Tons!

I wondered if it would "never" see a hardtop again. On my old Scout, I had to use a porta-power to get the tub to fit the hardtop..

Those two girls in the backseat? One is driving, the other will be within a year.

Darn kids grow up to become adults - but they're still (for now) in the backseat - I was planning ahead for that.

But reality with my suspension seats up front, you're right - "big" adults are not getting back there very easily / often.

Did you do any sort of cross bracing on the B pillar

So finally got it out for a rip today! After I put the Poly trans mount in.

The clutch is very noisy, like notchy, almost sounds like it rubs on something. Does it when you let clutch out quick or notice more down shifting.

The clutch pedal is pretty heavy.

How did you do the clutch linkage? Based on the factory stuff?

I've had the stock clutch rod rub on the gas pedal - that makes the engine race when you push the clutch in and can make more noise.

I've also had the clutch get heavy and/or loud when I pushed down and it hits the exhaust pipe - heavy, because you're moving the exhaust, noisy because the exahust pipe amplifies the noise from the linkage.

Two easy things to check.

Did you do any sort of cross bracing on the B pillar
It was X-ed, but I cut it out, so no bracing now, inside the B pillar.

I opted for access for my kids.

I did, however, mount my seats on 1.5" tubing frames mounted to the cage (and tilting) so I had a place to attach the 5pt harness straps for my wife.

They attach not "to the seat" but to the tilt-frame I built for the seat.

I do have supports at the backseat that angle in/down to the frame providing a little bit of triangulation, but mostly a place to attach the 3pt belts for the back seat.

How did you do the clutch linkage? Based on the factory stuff?

I've had the stock clutch rod rub on the gas pedal - that makes the engine race when you push the clutch in and can make more noise.

I've also had the clutch get heavy and/or loud when I pushed down and it hits the exhaust pipe - heavy, because you're moving the exhaust, noisy because the exahust pipe amplifies the noise from the linkage.

Two easy things to check.

GM hydro clutch.

By by shitty TJ cage, hello 2" 120 DOM. Finally got started on building my cage. Redneckery at its finest. 2 main A to D pillar tubes bent.

Was fun! Pretty much the only bends in my cage.
20230321_182341.jpg
20230321_152416.jpg
20230321_162819.jpg
20230321_151310.jpg
20230321_150950.jpg

Man I wish I knew what I was doing haha.

frigged up an upper cross piece so moved on to lower windshield bar and B pillars.

Wasn't sure how to figure out how much to add to the bends vrs radius etc. I've only got a 7" radius 2" die. So I need far less bend than what I did. Learning how to hand cope notches sucks. My protools notcher works amazing on straight sections.
20230324_181641.jpg
20230324_181650.jpg

Man I wish I knew what I was doing haha.

frigged up an upper cross piece so moved on to lower windshield bar and B pillars.

Wasn't sure how to figure out how much to add to the bends vrs radius etc. I've only got a 7" radius 2" die. So I need far less bend than what I did. Learning how to hand cope notches sucks. My protools notcher works amazing on straight sections.
20230324_181641.jpg
20230324_181650.jpg
Check put Fabrication Series on youtube. He has some good videos going into good detail on tube bending. Worth a watch.

Check put Fabrication Series on youtube. He has some good videos going into good detail on tube bending. Worth a watch.

Thanks. I think I have sub'd but never watched. I think it's worth it.

Here's some updated photos of what I've got done so far.

Going to order a ton of roll bar padding from summit. Especially for the back seat area as head tolerance is closer.
20230326_145609.jpg
20230330_135714.jpg
20230330_184212.jpg

not trying to say you’re gonna hit your shins right now, but I would put rollbar padding on them nonetheless, not pool noodles but raw bar padding, the thick, dense padding

It’s more of the situation where you get fucked up enough that your legs fly forward and that could be anything from just driving down into a ditch and having a sudden stop to a rollover. But you are correct normal driving probably never even contacted.

still a cool cage😁😄😄😄

not trying to say you’re gonna hit your shins right now, but I would put rollbar padding on them nonetheless, not pool noodles but raw bar padding, the thick, dense padding

It’s more of the situation where you get fucked up enough that your legs fly forward and that could be anything from just driving down into a ditch and having a sudden stop to a rollover. But you are correct normal driving probably never even contacted.

still a cool cage😁😄😄😄
Haha thanks. :flipoff2:

Yes ordered 36 feet of roll bar padding from summit racing.

Its finished!

Aside from frame tie ins. Not sure if I'm just going to weld in a piece of tube to the frame or if I order some poly bushings.

20230404_165235.jpg

i was thinking thats all it was, i would be able to weld inside the frame so i need to think out side the box a tiny bit. maybe able to weld nuts to my support structure prior to installing them. but thanks

I didn't weld inside the frame persay. I drilled a hole big enough for the nut to just fit inside, then welded around it, ground semi smooth.

Enough of the weld penetrates the side of nut and frame that they should be good N tite. Will see how it holds up. I think most who use the thicker uhmw plastic use 1/2" counter sunk heads.

I am one paint day away from being ready for wheeling season aside from getting the guy who did my tune to come out and do an on board tune to clean up the idle (need more than 600 rpm for my power steering to be happy, I'm thinking 800-900 as a base would be good.)

And he was sposed to have removed the rear 02 sensors from the tune but I keep getting codes for them. Turning on check engine.

Got the cage finished, got the padding all installed.

Put the soft top back on. Took it for a rip. Not sure I'm in love with the NV4500.

Everything is tight but something seems loose as fuck in the drive train. I get a bunch of shitty rattly noise when the clutch is half way out. Seems to happen in all gears, and 4low or 4hi 2hi. 2lo. Also double low.

So not sure I'm going to keep the NV4500.

Might just say fuck it and do a 4L80 or 6L80.

Its fucky and I can't tell if it's the pressure plate or the trans.

That friggen trans was rebuilt with a new main shaft etc. It shifts like butter.

fuck :flipoff2:!

Ill drive it til it fucking blows.

Got the cage finished, got the padding all installed.

Put the soft top back on. Took it for a rip. Not sure I'm in love with the NV4500.

Everything is tight but something seems loose as fuck in the drive train. I get a bunch of shitty rattly noise when the clutch is half way out. Seems to happen in all gears, and 4low or 4hi 2hi. 2lo. Also double low.

So not sure I'm going to keep the NV4500.

Might just say fuck it and do a 4L80 or 6L80.

Its fucky and I can't tell if it's the pressure plate or the trans.

That friggen trans was rebuilt with a new main shaft etc. It shifts like butter.

fuck :flipoff2:!

Ill drive it til it fucking blows.
Noise coming from transmission? Every truck I have ever driven with a manual makes a shitload of noise when the clutch is out and its in neutral. Kind of weird you say when the clutch is halfway out. Maybe an issue with the slave? Maybe watch it while someone pushes the clutch in to see if it hits something.

Last edited:
Noise coming from transmission? Every truck I have ever driven with a manual makes a shitload of noise when the clutch is out and its in neutral. Kind of weird you say when the clutch is halfway out. Maybe an issue with the slave? Maybe watch it while someone pushes the clutch in to see if it hits something.
Slave is external, it's like the gears are chattering or and output is chattering.

Just feels sloppy when letting clutch out and going to take off in 1st or 2nd.

Looking good.

Too late now, but while I have a notcher I don't use it.

Tube Coping

Put in the figures and print out the result - cut it out, wrap it around your tube, trace it, then cut the lines - and it's a straight cut (if you can hold the angle right) with a bandsaw or chop saw or grinder.

Been driving it around for a week or so. Had it tuned to give me a base idle rpm of 900 all the time. With the pulley size (larger than what I had on the IH engine) the steering just didn't have enough jam at 650 rpm. It would bog down way too much.

Originally started getting 02 sensor heater codes, seem random, then now randomly getting bank 1/2 lean codes. Wonder if my 02 sensors aren't close enough to the manifolds.

Seems to be getting a whopping 11.5-12 mpg... About same as the worn out IH 345 with throttle body injection...

Not sure it was worth the 6+K I wasted on converting over to the 5.3 and nv4500 just to have a doubler, NP205 and an overdrive...

Guess wheeling time will tell.

Might be swapping that nv4500 for a 6L80e. Should still be able to use my doubler as it's 32 spline.

but you have to admit it is nice just jumping in and cracking it over and it pops off and purrs super easy.

the idle is a tricky one. at least i feel it is. with an auto to high of an idle and in low low the brakes are not enough, but normal operation they are. anyway good deal your out driving it around:beer:.

Top Back Refresh