What's new

Tom's 79' SSII @woodbinebeastssii time for Tons!

Axles all in. Brakes all finished just finalizing my parking brake cables. Went with two of the left side cables for the 133" wheelbase trucks. And a 30" intermidiate/center cable. Should hook up to my stock scout front cable no problem. Just need to weld in some new cable end mounts. Then swap in the 1 7/16" master cyl and bleed the brakes.

Got the anti wrap all figured and welded in. Hangs a bit lower than I wanted but shoukd work mint and be a nice skid to save the drive shaft.

1000002470.jpg

I got the brakes working mint! I was pissed at first as I bled the master the way the stupid instructions say (put the plugs in and bleed till its hard) that's bullshit and don't work. Had to pull it back out and bench bleed old fashioned way with tubes back into the master. Now the pedal is rock solid and a nice feel!

This is an early 2000's GM master. Aluminum with plastic res. Both fittings are 1/2-20 in the master not metric which is perfect.

The pedal feel is very much like a modern vehicle now, bout 1-1.5" of travel.

Think I'm finally happy!

The late model gm 14 bolt rear end, ended up being about 1" narrower than the 1981 GM 1 ton front Dana 60. So should still have a decent turning radius.

I'm cruising it on Christmas I think! Might even take it for a rip tomorrow!

All I have to finish now is the RJ's Buggy harnesses and I'm ready for another season of wheeling.

The only other thing I'd change is the front leafs but that is only if I found a super deal I can't pass up lol.

Merry Christmas everyone! God bless!
20231220_141039.jpg
20231218_133647.jpg
20231218_133638.jpg
20231218_133621.jpg
20231218_133606.jpg

Well, had a bit of time to work on my junk.

Engine still leaking out the back... Meh. 1 more season like that unless it completely calves and let's loose.

Cut more out of my front fenders at the top and forward edges, and cut the front inner fender core support back a few inches as I was always rubbing on that.

Smashed in the main rib seam on the firewall since my tires always eat it too. (need to move the axle another 1" forward if I do a 3 link, radius arm or longer leafs) maybe next year, no more money for this winter. And need to help a friend build his heep LJ with a full 16" Rock Slayer suspension w/ ORIs.

And added some new rock lights.
1000002677.jpg
1000002736.jpg

Out of curiosity do you have to worry about smog or any other inspections?

Out of curiosity do you have to worry about smog or any other inspections?

Just a safety inspection when you initially register it. (talks is that's going to go to bi-annual safety)

But biggest issue with the Scout is the lack of a standardized VIN numbers.

Any vehicle older than 20 years is an instant classic and majority of insurers don't want to insure anything.

Suprised I can get my kids car insured it's an 87 Shelby Z Daytona but it has a standard VIN. $100/month for that for a 37 yr old car but that's on a normal policy not classic.

I had 1 too many claims so got the Scout reg'd in my dads name and ran it on a classic policy for the first 4 years. But they don't allow real use of it nor towing which im now towing a ln 8ft popup. So he wants it changed. Got a call out to the broker to see what she can do.

100 dollars a month for insurance is pretty crazy. I pay 60 bucks for the year...
Ya Canada is retarded. Some provinces insurance is upwards of $2k per vehicle per year.

My standard policy on my truck and car combined is near $2500...

1000003120.jpg
Got some goodies from Jeff and the team at IHPA.

Plan is to put GM 4" lift springs up front. Got a set of Zones. They have the pretty near same free arch as my stock scout springs but might be a touch stiffer so I may pull a leaf.

Going to move front axle forward another 1/2" to get the 40s off the firewall. (should have just gone with the 38" Nitto from the get go. Too late)

This will bring wheel base to 105". Hoping the front will be far nicer riding cause right now it's a friggen buck board chuck wagon. (stock front 2" leaves with 1 extra main leaf added.)

Well got the front suspension swap completed over the last 3 days.

Old hangers cut off, new 3" ones installed 2.5" further forward. Was able to use the exact same rear shackle holes I had the stock springs in. I did order the 6" dog legs from IHPA, ended up re-drilling to 5".

9/16" hardware on all points. Shackle/ bushing points.

I did pull the second from bottom leaf out of the new zone 4" pack. I may still pull the bottom if it doesn't settle 1/2" or more.

Still ended up 1" higher than it was before, which isn't too bad but like I stated may pull the short bottom leaf yet but I'd need shorter u bolts on the drive side.

Over all spring rate is much better, softer than the original scout springs that were super worn out and flat.

I also added an extra gusset to the side of the frame to the spring hanger plates just to help spread the load.

Awesome build!.

How do those front springs handle axle wrap compared to the old with the added top leaf?

How would you compare the power below 2000 rpm with the 5.3 & 345?

:beer:

Awesome build!.

How do those front springs handle axle wrap compared to the old with the added top leaf?

Thanks man. New springs have absolutely zero miles on them... Waiting on the new insurance slips. No planned runs til end of June for me unfortunately.

345 was a better engine in my opinion but mine was so worn out. But anemic over 3500 rpm and couldn't handle highway cruising with the 1:1 T19 and 5.38s. Far too much blowby that the PCV couldn't keep up oil starts blowing out of orifices over 70 mph...

The 5.3 would be better replaced with a 6.0 or at least a thumper torqy cam and associated tune. Right now it's completely stock. Don't go much over 75 mph but don't really need it. NV4500 gear splits freaking suck. I could have went 4.88s but the 5.38s were already in it before the engine/trans swap.

When I'm in double low... Who friggen cares. Under 2k. I've got so much gearing it don't matter.

I only get 1mpg better with a 40 year newer engine, and an overdrive trans than I did with the 345 and gm tbi, w/o OD...

Mind you more drag from a doubler and NP205 vrs a single dana 300.

I hear ya on gearing, Ive always been unimpressed with the 5.3 and 6.0 for low end when compared to slobbering old school shit:usa:.

Anxious to keep watching this build.

Im still wheeling leaf springs and a 14b/kp 60 so i tend to gravitate:emb:

I hear ya on gearing, Ive always been unimpressed with the 5.3 and 6.0 for low end when compared to slobbering old school shit:usa:.

Anxious to keep watching this build.

Im still wheeling leaf springs and a 14b/kp 60 so i tend to gravitate:emb:
Awesome. Yep old simplicity is nice.

Once I get it out I plan on taking it up a few of the climbs the old springs used to get pretty hoppy on.

Hoping the anti wrap bar in the back takes care of most of it.

Top Back Refresh