What's new

The TRACTOR thread

Anyone have an idea on where to look for the values on testing the alternator regulator on a 2001 Massey 251xe?
Parts department wants me to buy a new alternator,but I found out it's a Bosch,and a regulator only costs $25 instead of $135 for a reman.
Parts stores here still test alts. Probably also an off the shelf automotive part that's a direct swap for half the price of the dealer.

I had a shitty little Massey 1010 and found a starter from a 90's Altima that was a direct swap for like 1/3 the price.

Looks close enough. The john deere loaders are generally a little wider then others where they swallow the frame so it should work.

If the width of the bucket is close to the outside width at your rear tires you should be golden.

I gotta check the width of the bucket
Does it have the controls? Does yours have a hydrolic pump?
I think yes. And then no. I’ll have to figure out how I want to do pump if I think I can make it work

This seems reasonable for what you get around here $5-6k

Man wish that was in VA. I'm still on the fence about buying new. That little Yanmar at the dealer is sweet. But I don't know if its making payments sweet.

If I stumbled on a affordable unit like that little Ford in the ad, where are parts bought? Unobtainium? Thanks

Man wish that was in VA. I'm still on the fence about buying new. That little Yanmar at the dealer is sweet. But I don't know if its making payments sweet.

If I stumbled on an affordable unit like that little Ford in the ad, where are parts bought? Unobtainium? Thanks
I’ve bought stuff for mine off of eBay and Amazon. I got a brand new not reman starter for my 79 Ford (New Holland (Shibaura)) off Amazon. Glow plugs from eBay. Been able to find anything I could think of on the internet somewhere

Chinesium mini skid. I keep running numbers on my projects. I don't want a bunch of machines, but I came across this. Its gas, seem to be lots of them imported all of a sudden. Toro, vermeer, bobcat units are exceedingly pricey. Thought maybe grab this for cash, use on my projects, dump it when I'm done. Thoughts?

Chinesium mini skid. I keep running numbers on my projects. I don't want a bunch of machines, but I came across this. Its gas, seem to be lots of them imported all of a sudden. Toro, vermeer, bobcat units are exceedingly pricey. Thought maybe grab this for cash, use on my projects, dump it when I'm done. Thoughts?
that's certainly a tool to consider if you want to lift 660 lbs to a height of 3' or so (after chain/sling rigging to lift point). beyond spreading mulch in tight quarters there's not a ton of utility to a 23hp machine. not ideal for your primary/only machine though.

the big vermeer units are 40hp diesel and weigh 4k lbs with a lift capacity of almost a ton, so they have a lot more versatility.

I've been debating about importing a handful of those. There are a few different level models and that appears to be the cheapest of the cheap. I haven't dug too deep in to the specs, but some have only 1 pump while others have 2 or 3. I believe you want the 3rd pump if you want to be able to operate the aux. hydros while crawling.

There are also cheaper engines (Chinese off brand), the standard Briggs and I think you can also get them with Rato or Kubota diesels.

If you don't mind doing a little tinkering right off the bat, you can usually find that machine much cheaper at the big auctions as well as the nicer ones around that price range. It's just crap shoot if the carbs gonna be clogged up right off the auction lot or if other little things are going to need attention as they come right out of the container from China and on to the lot with nobody running through them before they sell.

For automotive products, diesel is cool, but never saw it as imperative as someone who wants one make it out to be.

I’ve pulled a lot of heavy shit with gas trucks.

For equipment…. Gas fucking sucks.

Shit sits too long, and even when I drain the fuel after use, the shit is still not as reliable as diesel.

Yea for my intended uses, it'd be a glorified wheelbarrow, light landscape use, very light land maintenance piece.

I'm not a professional that needs large lift capacity, I'm not moving tons of dirt. Not dropping giant trees daily. If it could pickup 300 or 400lbs, and is maneuverable with low ground impact, I'm interested.

Just a harry homeowner trying to tighten up my lot who's got a shoulder and lower back in iffy shape.

I like that they have a SSQA, my local equipment rental says I can rent implements. I think the unit with a small bucket and some forks is 90% of my use. No point in buying a grapple, or anything serious when I could plan ahead and rent just once or twice.

I need to educate myself. I need to understand brands, engine and pump specifics.

Is anybody using a chain for the top link?

Discuss….

Uhh...for what implements? Anything ground engaging would roll forward under load going forward. I guess it would work if you did everything in reverse. :laughing:

If I stumbled on an affordable unit like that little Ford in the ad, where are parts bought? Unobtainium? Thanks
It’s really an “Iseki “

Rebranded as Ford Kubota and several others .

I gotta check the width of the bucket

I think yes. And then no. I’ll have to figure out how I want to do pump if I think I can make it work
There's a tractor thread? Cool.

If the loader is too wide, cut it down the center, like center line of tractor. Make sense?
I was planning on doing that when looking to fit one on a lawnmower.
Cut the loader frame and bucket. Narrow up, one weld seam on bucket and one cross brace to weld. Easy.
To me the key was find one that was not overbuilt and heavier than ya need. Just wasting weight.

Amazon had a joystick control for loader for like $75. I was eyeing this if I had to build one. I prefer 2 sticks so you can run them both at the same time

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Is anybody using a chain for the top link?

Discuss….
I replaced the rear supports on my brush mower with chain to make it quick hitch compatible. Works awesome. I took out two of the bolts on the front frame so it could pivot and replaced the circled bars with chain.

1711851928463.jpeg

(starts at 7:10)

Interesting concept. Seems like it's only for "floating" type implements. I can't see it working with something really hogging like a plow or ripper or even a box blade trying to take a heavy bite .

When I have time, I'll give it a shot for my rake. I have that exact problem when hitting bumps or grade changes and it either buries or lifts the rake.

Although in that first video, it seems like the rake was still lifting and diving on little bumps.....maybe not as much as it would with a fixed top link, but hard to say without a side by side comparison. I'd also like to actually see that tilling in action with the chain. Seem like it wouldn't be nearly as effective unless he was just doing a light mixing turnover on loose soil.

I picked up some wheel weights off of marketplace over the weekend. 4 of them for $200. Seemed cheaper than most others I was seeing. Im going to paint them and I need to get some all thread and some hardware. I’m planning on 1 inside and 1 outside on each side.

IMG_5808.jpeg
IMG_5810.jpeg

I'm probably going to get the John Deere 1025R with 3rd function loader and grapple that mounts on pallet forks.

Small enough to mow my yard but with loader capabilities. And being under 26hp means no DEF/DPF.
I've been very happy with my 1025r's
I have a 2025r too,and I do like the 4+/-mph more ground speed for reading it around town.
20220808_120309.jpg
20210707_100050.jpg
20210707_100050.jpg
20221005_124618.jpg
20200604_153749.jpg
20211103_134854.jpg
20240119_121650.jpg
20201110_141506.jpg
20201105_084001.jpg
20210128_224459.jpg
Screenshot_20221211-161852_Instagram.jpg

They are kinda shit. The only reason I have one is because it was free. It does ok. My machine is only rated for 18hp at the PTO. It will chip 6” soft if I jam it in and work the machine. The weak point is definitely the feed roller. It’s dinky. Straight from China- likely alibaba. “Chipper 6”. But…free, so 🤷🏻‍♂️
Chipper was my first attachment purchase. Like you,glad I got it cheap at an auction. Very under-whelmed by it's performance.

Looks like I just bought myself this for my new personal yard tractor. Get to pick it up Saturday

Screenshot_20240403_083249_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20240403_083256_Facebook.jpg
ASk him if it's available and if he may be interested in a trade!!!

ASk him if it's available and if he may be interested in a trade!!!
I already got him a $750 deposit and told him id throw in an extra $250 to hold it for me till Saturday

Edit: it ended up costing me 500 over asking but its all settled

Last edited:
I replaced the rear supports on my brush mower with chain to make it quick hitch compatible. Works awesome. I took out two of the bolts on the front frame so it could pivot and replaced the circled bars with chain.

1711851928463.jpeg
:laughing:I did the exact same thing to mine
works great

Found this on my route last week. I stopped the big truck and went took a peek at it. Owner had just put it out, guy in his 30s. Home on Maternity leave with his wife.

Anyway, he let me poke around on it, drive it, use the loader. I took it up and down the hardtop, across a field, found a pile of riprap to test the bucket. He's had it 10 years or so. Ran like a top with no smoke, loader worked, he's put a bunch of bits on it, so we made a deal, we shook on it, I ran got him a deposit, went back got it today.

He's replaced most lines on the loader, repacked the cylinders, one line looks shady but is holding. Dripping up at the divertor valve. Its a gray market tractor. L2201DT, supposedly same as a L245DT stateside from same era.

I didn't really have major concerns, my buddy said gray market tractors have good support, and even with its age I should be ok on most major parts.

Regardless, I'm in this and the zero turn about $5500 between the two. Could use tires but I'm not really sweating that right now. :homer::laughing:

Attachments

• received_424087166883962.jpeg
    received_424087166883962.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 3
Got the new toy home. Super awkward to get used to 4ws with a 6' track width and 6' wheelbase. Works awsome with a ton of power on flat ground but falls flat pretty quick up hills. Its a 1 speed hydrostatic with a huge range... all kinds of torque off idle yet has a super tall top end.... to tall. Feels like its starved for fuel as soon as you try to go up hill with any speed.

the thing weighs more then my case 480 backhoe at just over 10k lbs.

Scored the big 6' toothed bucket for $500 when I went to pick it up. It has the stock 5' smooth bucket right now
20240406_114917.jpg

Top Back Refresh