What's new

The TRACTOR thread

Alpine4x4

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Central Washington
OK so this came up back in February and it seems a lot of people here have experience with tractors and tractoring. Lets use this thread as a general discussion for all things tractors!

I'm about to invest in a new Kubota L3902 with blower, cutting deck, and probably a box blade. Currently using my FIL's Kubota 4740 around their place, but they dont do anything with it but push some snow and till a garden once a year. We have 20 acres, inlaws bought 20 next door. About 5 of it needs mowed/managed while the rest is timber and hillside we'll tinker with here and there.

What implements have you found worth the investment? Do you think a 39hp unit is going to restrict me too much? Is a 64" blower big enough and worth the $4000 price tag?

In.

I've been hunting for something older since I have a low budget. I figured it would be better to buy something old and higher hp vs new 26 hp.

New shit over 25 horse is subject to emissions from what I've heard.

I used a deere 4020, a 2305, an old gasser for jubilee, and other deere 2wd tractors thats relevant to this convo.

I'd definitely stay old enough to remain all mechanical, linkages, and cables. Fuck electric tractors.

I am in the process of getting me a Kioti CX2510 myself for similar applications, but it would be more comparable to a Kubota L2501/2502. I'll have to keep an eye on this thread.

Backhoes are cool, but I don't think I would use one enough to justify the additional cost.

Front end loader and a backhoe attachment, if you can't rock a traditional backhoe.

They are ok at everything, excel at nothing. But a damn useful tool.
I am putting a loader on it. FIL has a backhoe on his and honestly, its pretty lame. Tiny bucket and poor digging depth. We have friends with a mini so when it comes to actual dirt stuff we will just borrow that. They're letting us use it to do our new house foundation.

The do everything excel at nothing is really true. The lifting capacity on the buckets is horrid compared to real equipment and they do not like to move dirt at all.

I'm probably going to get the John Deere 1025R with 3rd function loader and grapple that mounts on pallet forks.

Small enough to mow my yard but with loader capabilities. And being under 26hp means no DEF/DPF.

JD 5065e 4x4 with 520 loader. A tractor without a loader is a lawnmower. Implements I personally can’t live without are loader, bush hog, pallet forks, and I guess landscape rake. I want a 6’ tiller and a 2 row planter for this upcoming years planting season.

John Deere 410b backhoe, bobcat 316 mini x, case 1818 skid steer. I can’t imagine my life without them. More tractors is better! That’s all I got to add to the thread.😎

I wouldnt buy a new l3901 with the prices being as high as they are. I could save you at least $10k and find you a clean one with sub 500hrs under 5 years old.

But I also wouldnt buy a 3901... go l2501 to avoid the emisions equipment or step up to a M series.

Last edited:
2020 Kubota L2501 TLB here. I Love it!

I've never felt a lack of power with it being "just" 25 HP.

** If I did it again I would order ALL the light packages, and get the cruise control as it would be nice about 5% of the time. You absolutely need it if your gonna be mowing fields. I dont use mine for mowing **

Grapple bucket and Pallet Forks a must have.

1 bottom plow and 3pt tiller if you ever plan on planting a garden.

I want to get the skid steer post hole digger that runs off the third function...

Love my L2501. I feel the lack of power going up some of our steep hills, but it’s not terrible. There is a guy who came out with a turbo kit that uses an OEM Kubota snail. Stock pump supports it fine. Dyno’d at 35hp pto iirc. For an extra $2500, that’s an easy choice. Still cheaper than a 3901.

I use my pallet forks all the time. Wish I’d gotten a quick hitch, I forgot how much of a PITA three point hitches are when you don’t have any level spots.

I wouldnt buy a new l3901 with the prices being as high as they are. I could save you at least $10k and find you a clean one with sub 500hrs under 5 years old.

But I also wouldnt buy a 3901... go l2501 to avoid the emisions equipment or step up to a M series.
Only looking to go new as the used market here in WA is retarded. Used units are maybe a $2-3000 discount and anything pre-emissions people think is gold. A DPF doesnt really scare me and once its out of warranty I'd just delete it.

That said saving money is always nice and the 2501/2 would save me a solid amount over a 3901/2. Biggest concern is running a snow blower and having enough tractor to move snow. Besides mowing in the summer this will be my tractors main use. Is a 25 enough for real snow moving? We're talking 1-2ft at a time, sometimes more, not little 4" flurries. I'm at 2200ft in the Eastern Cascades. M series is out of my price range. The 3902 spec'd with a blower, loader, mower, and a few little things is at the top end for me. If a 25 is enough tractor the lack of emissions and lower price is intriguing. Bucket lift capacity is only 90lbs less than the 3901/2 so thats negligible.

1987 JD 750 4x4. It’s my right hand. Love that machine. Have 5’ brush hog, post hole digger, wood chipper, box blade (neighbors), sub soiler, and a carry all. Neighbor has pallet forks too. Oh and a backhoe, it’s wimpy, I need to narrow the bucket and make it more of a trenching bucket.

Only looking to go new as the used market here in WA is retarded. Used units are maybe a $2-3000 discount and anything pre-emissions people think is gold. A DPF doesnt really scare me and once its out of warranty I'd just delete it.

That said saving money is always nice and the 2501/2 would save me a solid amount over a 3901/2. Biggest concern is running a snow blower and having enough tractor to move snow. Besides mowing in the summer this will be my tractors main use. Is a 25 enough for real snow moving? We're talking 1-2ft at a time, sometimes more, not little 4" flurries. I'm at 2200ft in the Eastern Cascades. M series is out of my price range. The 3902 spec'd with a blower, loader, mower, and a few little things is at the top end for me. If a 25 is enough tractor the lack of emissions and lower price is intriguing. Bucket lift capacity is only 90lbs less than the 3901/2 so thats negligible.
Idk much about new tractors, but if you look at the for sale forum, 2big is constantly flipping tractors and probably knows his shit.

Buy the cleanest, low hour, mechanical diesel you can find.

I’d listen to these guys if I were the OP.

The 2501 is 100% enough. We get real snow here in WI and it doesn’t skip a beat. Fill the rear tires with beet juice before you leave the dealer. The snowblower is easier on the tractor than pushing, and last year I had to push everything. Getting a blower before next winter for sure.

The 2501 is 100% enough. We get real snow here in WI and it doesn’t skip a beat. Fill the rear tires with beet juice before you leave the dealer. The snowblower is easier on the tractor than pushing, and last year I had to push everything. Getting a blower before next winter for sure.
Good to know. Wet snow or dry snow in your parts? We get a fun combo of both, usually on the wetter side on average. Beet juice and chains are a must.

Good to know. Wet snow or dry snow in your parts? We get a fun combo of both, usually on the wetter side on average. Beet juice and chains are a must.
Depends on temp, but this year was a whole lot of wet with ice under it for some reason. No chains and she did ok. Few times had to push myself out with the bucket, but that’s life. Chains are also on the list for this year :laughing:

One thing I didn’t know about the 2501 until I was buying one, it’s very low HP, but makes tons of torque. Saw a YouTube video of a guy messing with the fuel and timing and he got it over 100ft/lbs at the PTO. I think stock was ~75?

I had an 18 L3901 with a FEL. for a few years. I wasn’t impressed. It’s not big enough or heavy enough to do real tractor stuff. The loader could tip the bastard over if you had the bucket all the way in the air.

My dad has a 1979 Ford (New Holland) 60 hp 6600 with a FEL. That thing is big enough and heavy enough to do some shit. Then I have a 79 Ford (New Holland - shibauru) 1500 which is a 20hp lawnmower. We can a bobcat mini X when we need a Hoe.

He posted a lot of useful information in the last thread too. I was hoping he would reply:dustin: Time to pick his brain.
I 100% can not comment on the power needed to run a snowblower but as far as pushing/pulling the 2501 has more power then traction so im not sure a 3901 would be of much benifit in that area.

You could afford an M if you keep your eyes open. That one I posted for sale a few days ago was cherry with 700hrs. I paid $21k for it.

I bought a Deere 790 4wd mostly because it was easy purchase from the original owner 1k hrs and the attachments that came with it. I think I paid $11k 2ish years ago. Just a basic non computer no BS little tractor. Listen to others here and I agree with buying a used low hour simple machine.

I bought a Deere 790 4wd mostly because it was easy purchase from the original owner 1k hrs and the attachments that came with it. I think I paid $11k 2ish years ago. Just a basic non computer no BS little tractor. Listen to others here and I agree with buying a used low hour simple machine.

If I personally was buying a small tractor for simplicity and easy of maintenance I would buy a mid 2000s jd 790 or 970.

I 100% can not comment on the power needed to run a snowblower but as far as pushing/pulling the 2501 has more power then traction so im not sure a 3901 would be of much benifit in that area.

You could afford an M if you keep your eyes open. That one I posted for sale a few days ago was cherry with 700hrs. I paid $21k for it.
Only reason for the 39 was for snow pushing/blowing needs. If the 25 will do it, the 25 is the way. I honestly wouldnt mind the smaller size overall as well, less storage space and easier to manuever.

Trying to finance through Kubota. In the middle of a house build so low/no interest and low down is key. Used market is going to eat me alive on interest rates since we cant spare a ton of cash to buy one outright. That said if we find a deal its doable.

Depends on temp, but this year was a whole lot of wet with ice under it for some reason. No chains and she did ok. Few times had to push myself out with the bucket, but that’s life. Chains are also on the list for this year :laughing:

One thing I didn’t know about the 2501 until I was buying one, it’s very low HP, but makes tons of torque. Saw a YouTube video of a guy messing with the fuel and timing and he got it over 100ft/lbs at the PTO. I think stock was ~75?
Chains help a lot. We'd be dead in the water on that 4740 without chains. My FIL is too lazy to put them on the rears and gets himself in all sorts of stupid scenarios.

Only reason for the 39 was for snow pushing/blowing needs. If the 25 will do it, the 25 is the way. I honestly wouldnt mind the smaller size overall as well, less storage space and easier to manuever.

Trying to finance through Kubota. In the middle of a house build so low/no interest and low down is key. Used market is going to eat me alive on interest rates since we cant spare a ton of cash to buy one outright. That said if we find a deal its doable.
That’s why I went new…0% freed up cash for our house build. We’d have been screwed without the tractor last winter.

Top Back Refresh