What's new

The TRACTOR thread

FC0850D2-6DFB-4DBF-94AC-0071A8C31DCB.jpeg
26B8E75B-C843-423C-8184-21269DF760A2.jpeg
FEC8B99B-0DFE-4720-8D86-0CF1FFA13771.jpeg
37275E93-2C83-4C94-AF00-14E676C43D7D.jpeg
18FF8CAB-3816-451C-8555-C60E4A83227A.jpeg

Excavator isn’t mine.
Tractor in the last pic was just traded for the wheel loader in the first picture.
Down to 4 tractors now, but added the loader. Was planning to buy an excavator this year, but I might wait.
2 of the Kubota’s (in the picture with the excavator) I bought brand new. One with the cab in Dec of ‘21. The one next to it in Sept of ‘22. Both have over 200 hours as of today.

Alright, back to the F2000 with a milkshake problem

Pulled the head today and found a few interesting things

3 of the head bolts were loose and 1 was broken. It’s also missing the little rubber o ring on the oil feed tube.

Unsure if the PO pulled it apart, said fuck it and hap-hazardly through it together to sell, or it was just a really shitty rebuild.

I don’t see any indication of a cracked block or cracked head but not sure if there is a specific area I should be looking?

Cylinders aren’t scored.

Tearing it down didn’t take any time so I’m going to at least through a head gasket at it.

A new head with valves and gaskets is around $350 vs just gasket kit and finding a shop to machine the head.

Questions of the day:
Something I’m missing in these photos?
Problem with a new head on the existing block if I don’t have the block machined?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Been a while but i think the o ring is used with the mls gaskets.

What am I looking at on the #2 prechamber?

Alright, back to the F2000 with a milkshake problem

Pulled the head today and found a few interesting things

3 of the head bolts were loose and 1 was broken. It’s also missing the little rubber o ring on the oil feed tube.

Unsure if the PO pulled it apart, said fuck it and hap-hazardly through it together to sell, or it was just a really shitty rebuild.

I don’t see any indication of a cracked block or cracked head but not sure if there is a specific area I should be looking?

Cylinders aren’t scored.

Tearing it down didn’t take any time so I’m going to at least through a head gasket at it.

A new head with valves and gaskets is around $350 vs just gasket kit and finding a shop to machine the head.

Questions of the day:
Something I’m missing in these photos?
Problem with a new head on the existing block if I don’t have the block machined?

image.jpg
image.jpg

It isn’t required to machine a block to replace a head gasket. Just clean it up.

Why is that #2 prechamber cap look shiny? Or open… something.

Was the head stuck to the gasket? Or was it like it had been part before?

It isn’t required to machine a block to replace a head gasket. Just clean it up.

Why is that #2 prechamber cap look shiny? Or open… something.

Was the head stuck to the gasket? Or was it like it had been part before?
The piston head? I rubbed it to see the condition. The others clean up the same

Head gasket came off the head without too much issue. Was not “stuck” on by any means

The piston head? I rubbed it to see the condition. The others clean up the same
No. Pistons don’t have a head anyway.

The pre ignition chamber. #2, on the head.
Tell me you know what I’m referring to…

The problem with posting pictures like this is, between the glare, and not seeing it before you wiped things off, it’s hard to diagnose and “read parts” since they’ve been touched and cameras hide things. Hard to see much.

center one has had something beating around in it. maybe not recently, but might want to make sure the piston isn't missing a piece. also the prechamber opening looks shiny in the pic, instead of a hole in it like the others. Might change the angle of the pic and try again.

center one has had something beating around in it. maybe not recently,
I thought that too, but couldn’t decide if it was just the camera, him wiping on things…

Looking again and really zooming in, I agree.

center one has had something beating around in it. maybe not recently, but might want to make sure the piston isn't missing a piece. also the prechamber opening looks shiny in the pic, instead of a hole in it like the others. Might change the angle of the pic and try again.
The #2 piston does have some damage on top of it but the wall feels like the others. I was in a hurry between work and playing with the kid tonight. I’ll go back out after bed time and see if there is other damage on #2

It was probably run low on coolant, and it will crack at the prechamber real quickly because you get a massive hot spot. I'd think the marks are probably from a part of the prechamber come apart. I really want to know if we're seeing daylight at that prechamber.

It was probably run low on coolant, and it will crack at the prechamber real quickly because you get a massive hot spot. I'd think the marks are probably from a part of the prechamber come apart. I really want to know if we're seeing daylight at that prechamber.
This being the pre chamber?
IMG_1401.jpeg

If so, you can see daylight through all 3 of them. It’s open on the other side where the injectors thread in

Definitely, and good eye!. with all the pock marks in that cylinder surface it’s both sat, and been ran with coolant in it.

It’s a low rpm tractor. The bottom end of it should be fine with a good head back on it.
thats exactly what i want to hear. Ha

Ordering a head, gasket set, new water pump, head bolts.... and hopefully these exhaust manifold studs that i can't find a part number for

It’s a low rpm tractor.

That’s a relative statement. Just because it’s low by other engines doesn’t mean it’s not pretty fast for that engine build.

I’m just curious, have you ever rebuilt one?

At least pop a rod cap and look. If it had water in the oil, I bet the bearings are toast.

Crank has to come out to change the mains.

That’s a relative statement. Just because it’s low by other engines doesn’t mean it’s not pretty fast for that engine build.

I’m just curious, have you ever rebuilt one?
I haven’t rebuilt one of those 3 cylinders. I’ve rebuilt engines before. I’ve repaired tractor engines before. 2500 max rpm is a low rpm engine
At least pop a rod cap and look. If it had water in the oil, I bet the bearings are toast.

Crank has to come out to change the mains.
Possible, coolant is definitely not good for babbitt. But it’s not like he’s gotta drive this thing across the country, or make a living with it. It’s a hobby tractor. If it were mine I’d put that reman head on it and try to run it.

On the kubota, there is a freeze plug behind the timing cover that will leak also. It got me once When it has the head on and before adding oil, leave the drain plug out and put pressure in the cooling system Mine would run water out the drain plug.

Top Back Refresh