What's new

The TRACTOR thread

1000002161.jpg
1000002162.jpg

A few pics of my old tube frame.

I know that’s what they had. I was asking if it still had it, or if it had been upgraded. Last I worked on a 188D, parts were getting pretty hard to come by.
Also came with the 207 not long before the b's.

I had to make rocker shafts and sleeve rocker arms for it but after that it ran quite nice.

Also came with the 207 not long before the b's.

I had to make rocker shafts and sleeve rocker arms for it but after that it ran quite nice.
I actually didn’t know that. Never seen one with a 207. 188 or the Cummins.

Loose rocker shaft: tightened. Yep, that would help. I don’t remember if the 188 had bushings in the rockers. Been too long. They didn’t have bronze bushings in them?

Any 9N/8N fans in here?

I’ve got a ‘51 8N that I’ve had for 23 years. It mows 3-4 acres of yard. Brush hogs an acre or so every Fall. Sometimes blades some snow. Plus other random things…pulling/moving trailers, used to plow and disc a small garden, has a boom for lifting things, a dirt scoop for moving dirt. No FEL though. But I’ve got a small skid steer with buckets and pallet forks for those type duties.
Bought another 8N several years ago that had a Sherman overdrive/underdrive in it and swapped it in. Need to fix up the other 8N and sell it.
My brother has a ‘52 8N that our great grandfather bought brand new. It needs gone through and painted someday. Doubt it will ever get done though.

Awesome, I might need to do something like this. Been wanting a little tractor but don’t have a major need for it, hard to justify spending $10k on a “toy.” Is it hydraulic drive, and how fast would it go?
That appears to be similar to the Bolens 1050 we had growing up.
Ours had 2 ranges, a 3 speed transmission and stick shift and scooted along pretty well.
From MTF: Best bolens tube frame
1000, 1050/53/54, 1220, 1253/54, G12/14 for the gear drives.
1225, 1256, 1556, H14/16 for hydro's. The gear drive models I listed have the better 6 speed transmission with h/l lever, not sure how else to describe it. 6/7/8/9 series and g10/11 do not.

Edit: I would start with something like a older Kubota B series like this: Log into Facebook
1000093695.png

This: Log into Facebook
1000093697.png

Or this: Log into Facebook
1000093699.png

That way you start with 4x4, possibly power steering and built in hydraulics for not much more than a well preserved Bolens tube frame would cost once you add hydraulics and power steering to it.

Aaron Z

Last edited:
I actually didn’t know that. Never seen one with a 207. 188 or the Cummins.

Loose rocker shaft: tightened. Yep, that would help. I don’t remember if the 188 had bushings in the rockers. Been too long. They didn’t have bronze bushings in them?
No bushings, but it did after I was done with it. I guess it's a common issue. Someone sold reman ones but they were expensive.

Awesome, I might need to do something like this. Been wanting a little tractor but don’t have a major need for it, hard to justify spending $10k on a “toy.” Is it hydraulic drive, and how fast would it go?

That appears to be similar to the Bolens 1050 we had growing up.
Ours had 2 ranges, a 3 speed transmission and stick shift and scooted along pretty well.
From MTF: Best bolens tube frame

Edit: I would start with something like a older Kubota B series like this: Log into Facebook

This: Log into Facebook

Or this: Log into Facebook

That way you start with 4x4, possibly power steering and built in hydraulics for not much more than a well preserved Bolens tube frame would cost once you add hydraulics and power steering to it.

Aaron Z
It is a 1050. I built a loader and added hydraulic steering. Worked well for what it was, just a little project. Surprised how well it held up to the loader and counterweight. The new owner found a hood and finished it up.

Started stripping down the motor on the f2000 (d950 3 cylinder Kubota)

Checking compression via glow plug ports:

200/250/350 respectively.

there is no obvious damage/corrosion to the front cover as mentioned previously. Moving on to the head gasket at this point and hoping to not need a full rebuild.

Started stripping down the motor on the f2000 (d950 3 cylinder Kubota)

Checking compression via glow plug ports:

200/250/350 respectively.

there is no obvious damage/corrosion to the front cover as mentioned previously. Moving on to the head gasket at this point and hoping to not need a full rebuild.

Good luck with that.

I've overhauled several of those engines. Especially after they got overheated. They have to get stupid hot for a long time to hurt them, but eventually they cook. I think you'll find a cracked block, but could be wrong. I'd pull the pan before pulling the head. Fill the system with water and pressure it up with the pan off and see where the water is running in.

I was thinking of making my own PTO powered skidding winch for my Kubota L3901, but with the price of cheap 8000lb electric winches these days, that would be an easy way to get something up and going for this years firewood season.

I haven't looked into what the alternator on the tractor can put out, but I know the battery isn't the biggest. If I dropped a couple bigger batteries on the Skidder winch setup, added an electric forklift battery connector to hook to the tractor.

Think this will get me a decent winching setup? I don't need to be winching stuff for hours. a few minutes pulling in a 600-1000lb log so i can hook it up the tractor and drag it out.

My heart says a pto driven, clutched winch would be way cooler...but I got other things in life to be doing, then anothe rmonth long project that may never get finished :homer:

I was thinking of making my own PTO powered skidding winch for my Kubota L3901, but with the price of cheap 8000lb electric winches these days, that would be an easy way to get something up and going for this years firewood season.

I haven't looked into what the alternator on the tractor can put out, but I know the battery isn't the biggest. If I dropped a couple bigger batteries on the Skidder winch setup, added an electric forklift battery connector to hook to the tractor.

Think this will get me a decent winching setup? I don't need to be winching stuff for hours. a few minutes pulling in a 600-1000lb log so i can hook it up the tractor and drag it out.

My heart says a pto driven, clutched winch would be way cooler...but I got other things in life to be doing, then anothe rmonth long project that may never get finished :homer:
Worst case, run a PTO shaft to a 10:1 pulley (or a jackshaft and to a 15:1 or higher ratio if you want to be able to idle when them running at full output) and drive 1-2 high output alternators to power the winch.
Make a completely separate from the tractor electrical system.
The tractor probably doesn't have more than a 40 or 50 amp alternator in it.

Aaron Z

Worst case, run a PTO shaft to a 10:1 pulley (or a jackshaft and to a 15:1 or higher ratio if you want to be able to idle when them running at full output) and drive 1-2 high output alternators to power the winch.
Make a completely separate from the tractor electrical system.
The tractor probably doesn't have more than a 40 or 50 amp alternator in it.

Aaron Z
I could see that working. Thanks

Top Back Refresh