What's new

The TRACTOR thread

Any 9N/8N fans in here? I know there’s a lot of haters, even got a member who’s father was killed by one.

I have an 8N with no engine thanks to my grandfather and my little brother. Was a clean tractor before I let my grandpa touch it and I’d like to find an engine to put it back together. I can buy whole running driving 8N’s for $2500 bucks or less so I’m not interested in spending that much on an engine only. I have no core either. Any leads?
V8 swap it? IIRC this guy's kit bolts up to a 302:
1000093660.jpg

If not, here is a tractor and loader for $550: Ford 8n Tractor - farm & garden - by owner - sale - craigslist

Aaron Z

I have about an acre of grass/weeds I want to keep looking decent-ish as well as orchard rowes to maintain. Currently doing it with a rotary mower behind a ford 4610 but looking for a more dedicated machine. Was looking for a zero turn then this came up.

Supposed to check it out tomorrow morning. Would you run? Something to be aware of?

Fuck yes. Get that.

Rebuilt my grandfathers 8/9n hybrid and gave it to my god-kid. Been in the family for 50+ years.

Had another 8n for a while but sold for profit. Just didn’t get used here.

Best bet is to find another parts tractor…. Most of the stuff for these is pretty darned cheap on the intertoobs.

get you some angle iron and make some steel lug "tires" for it
I keep meaning to do that for my mini loader.

I'll use some 1/2" square bar at tight intervals so I don't fuck up asphalt too much. Put a little V in it so it digs when I spin them in the snow.

I have an 8N with no engine thanks to my grandfather and my little brother. Was a clean tractor before I let my grandpa touch it and I’d like to find an engine to put it back together. I can buy whole running driving 8N’s for $2500 bucks or less so I’m not interested in spending that much on an engine only. I have no core either. Any leads?
Flathead shit can be had cheap these days because of demographics. I bet you could lowball someone into selling you a core and then lowball other people into pistons/rods, etc.

Give it the dingleball and all new consumable parts and you should have something running under a grand.

I'm a grand into that Mercruiser but that's because I went full retard on the top end. Could've had a 460 head with stamped rockers and stock everything for a hundred bucks.

Rebuilt my grandfathers 8/9n hybrid and gave it to my god-kid. Been in the family for 50+ years.

Had another 8n for a while but sold for profit. Just didn’t get used here.

Best bet is to find another parts tractor…. Most of the stuff for these is pretty darned cheap on the intertoobs.
When I was 8 my Grandpa had me help him restore his old 9N. I’m sure I was more in the way than help but I was there for the whole thing. Disassembly, engine overhaul, reseal the rear end and 3 point pivots, paint, put it all back together with new tires on it. Then I used it a lot as I grew up. I think he thought I wanted to relive that with my 8N that I got for $200 bucks. It didn’t run but had new tires on it so I thought I could get it running as is.

The next thing I new it was separated in two and the engine was sitting down at my brothers shop completely disassembled. Pretty well pissed me off so I never made any decisions. Brother got evicted from his shop and my basket case got disappeared.

I have a flathead but it would need rebuilt. My goal is to drop in a runner without breaking $1000 bucks

I don’t want to mess with a flat head. I want this. Dude says he got an entire kit to put a 5.0 in it from Awesome Henry. I cannot get ahold of anyone at any phone number or email from AH

I don’t want to mess with a flat head. I want this. Dude says he got an entire kit to put a 5.0 in it from Awesome Henry. I cannot get ahold of anyone at any phone number or email from AH

That would be cool

I have about an acre of grass/weeds I want to keep looking decent-ish as well as orchard rowes to maintain. Currently doing it with a rotary mower behind a ford 4610 but looking for a more dedicated machine. Was looking for a zero turn then this came up.

Supposed to check it out tomorrow morning. Would you run? Something to be aware of?

Well I bought it. Wouldn’t start and water was pouring out of the water pump when I filled the radiator. Guessing it over heated at some point. Gave $1k for it. Not sure I want to rebuild it or just make a bit of money and move it down the road

Every time I see one of these I think it needs to become a forklift.
Xfaxman on TBN has the Toro version that he put a loader onto:
1000093680.jpg

Aaron Z

Well, it did finally start. Milkshaked the oil real quick. Ran enough to confirm the rest of it works though
This is my personal thread now :flipoff2:

It’s got a shit load of water in the oil now after running for a couple min. Seems more than would pass with a bad head gasket in that amount of time

Is there anyway the bad water pump can pass directly into the block? Something else to look for other than head gasket?

This is new to me(if that wasn’t obvious)

Xfaxman on TBN has the Toro version that he put a loader onto:
Tl/dr, does it work worth a shit?; seems like it’s begging for an accidental spinal injury by dumping a load on your head.

I have a Deere diesel powered front mower that’s been on jackstands for 4 yrs in the corner of my shop that needs a new owner, but if the market is soft, this might be an idea.

Tl/dr, does it work worth a shit?; seems like it’s begging for an accidental spinal injury by dumping a load on your head.
He likes it (has had it for over 10 years now as he started it after he built it and he started the thread in 2013), my concern would be that, getting crushed by a loader arm, or a hydraulic fluid bath from a burst hose.

I have a Deere diesel powered front mower that’s been on jackstands for 4 yrs in the corner of my shop that needs a new owner, but if the market is soft, this might be an idea.
The market has never been too solid for them IMO.

Aaron Z

Is there anyway the bad water pump can pass directly into the block? Something else to look for other than head gasket?
Might be a gasket at the timing cover

I’m betting cracked block. Anything other than that would likely have just been fixed and it sold for more money.

This is new to me(if that wasn’t obvious)
It is.

He likes it (has had it for over 10 years now as he started it after he built it and he started the thread in 2013), my concern would be that, getting crushed by a loader arm, or a hydraulic fluid bath from a burst hose.
at least looks like its not going to scissor slice your arm off at the elbow
1710728868683.png

The market has never been too solid for them IMO.
yeah I bought it for a song so I should be able to get out of it for what I've got into it.

Yeah, cause that could never happen on an open station tractor or SSL. 🙄
i dont think anything else has quite as close proximity to your face between the hydraulic line/fitting on the compression side of a loader cylinder.

1710729046625.png

but a bobcat aint too much better
1710729226632.png

Front cover can leak into oil. Worth pulling and checking out. Right under/behind water pump is the passage. Cracked heads are common but won't milkshake but push coolant out.

i dont think anything else has quite as close proximity to your face between the hydraulic line/fitting on the compression side of a loader cylinder.

1710729046625.png

1710729226632.png

SSL= skid steer loader = “Bobcat”

1710729046625.png

1710729226632.png

I’m quoting you this time to avoid downloading the picture.

The guy who built his own mounted the cylinders upside down. No idea why he did this, as he had to run a lot more hose, and deal with hose flex at the main pivot. If he had mounted them the other way (I’ll argue “correctly”) it would have been easier, and kept the pressure hoses to his sides. Jacketing the hoses in this application would be a good idea too.

On another note, appears he put the controls on the left side too, which would be very awkward for anyone who’s ever ran a commercial machine. Loader controls are always on the right hand side.

I used to think like that guy. “I’ll just build it” attitude/thinking. Then I got older. I don’t build as much stuff as I used to. Custom stuff, and things you can’t buy is about all I care to do anymore. He basically built a skid steer.

Top Back Refresh