What's new

The 3D printer thread

Was at a craft fair last weekend (the woman was a vendor there for work) and there was a guy selling prints. The kids wanted these little crabs so bad but had to be reminded that I too can print them.

Haven't touched the printer in almost a year since we moved. Forgot to glue stick the build plate. 12 hours in the trash :shaking:

PXL_20231212_232107840.jpg

Round 2 was fine. Round 3 is cooking now. The woman wants a whole army to give all the kids now so will probably adjust to fit more on at once.

PXL_20231213_225944388.MP.jpg
Cool spiders! Show us the crab! :flipoff2:

Was at a craft fair last weekend (the woman was a vendor there for work) and there was a guy selling prints. The kids wanted these little crabs spiders so bad but had to be reminded that I too can print them.

Haven't touched the printer in almost a year since we moved. Forgot to glue stick the build plate. 12 hours in the trash :shaking:

PXL_20231212_232107840.jpg

Round 2 was fine. Round 3 is cooking now. The woman wants a whole army to give all the kids now so will probably adjust to fit more on at once.

PXL_20231213_225944388.MP.jpg
I’ve got a plate of Cinderwing Tadlings running right now for my daughter to give her classmates. Need to run 3 plates total then two plates of frogs for the boys classmates.

i also just finished the 200 screws with 5 different drive types for the ultra annoying gift box 2.0 that is going to house Super Mario Wonder for my daughter. Gonna get it all assembled up tomorrow. It’s gonna take her an hour to open that present on the 25th

This is a completely different experience than the ender 3 I have. It’s printing with year old pla that has been left out in the air for that whole year. I’m impressed so far.

E8CBDAF2-B33E-44BB-9D84-35792B53C6A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Anybody run their printers with a UPS? Forgot the power company had a planned outage this morning, halfway through a 30 hour print :shaking:

Ender 5 was able to restart from where it stopped, not sure how it will effect the print though.

Also glad I stuck one of my Blink cameras in there so I could keep an eye on things. It was running fine when I left for work this morning, checked in on it a little bit ago and it was sitting still. Had the woman go peak at it and it showed power outage/she restarted it.

Anybody run their printers with a UPS? Forgot the power company had a planned outage this morning, halfway through a 30 hour print :shaking:

Ender 5 was able to restart from where it stopped, not sure how it will effect the print though.

Also glad I stuck one of my Blink cameras in there so I could keep an eye on things. It was running fine when I left for work this morning, checked in on it a little bit ago and it was sitting still. Had the woman go peak at it and it showed power outage/she restarted it.
mine you just push the button and it restarts where it left off:grinpimp:

I run my printers on UPS units. I’ve got everything on my print bench spread across 3 of them. I found 4 Bambu and 2 Ender printers were too much for a single one and it would beep at me when they were all warming up together. Works great and keeps everything running until the generator kicks in

Finally got around to setting my P1P up today. Benchy came out just fine. A draft of a logo keychain came out pretty darn good, and this little 3D keychain model of the Yosemite valley looks pretty darn good too. Tried to use PLA+ to print a scraper and it failed twice, I think it was bad G-Code because everything else I print with PLA+ is working fine?!?

20231216_180419.jpg
20231216_131310.jpg
20231216_223127.jpg

is there a easy way to link those topo maps together ?

I would print the whole state if I thought that it would work

Early Xmas gift for the printer, Micro Swiss hot end + direct drive conversion. I want to play around with some TPU prints eventually so figured why not.

PXL_20231217_185532093.MP.jpg

Last edited:
lithophanes for my brothers and sister. This is a picture of our day from ~ 1939 or 40, right before he joined the navy...

The P1P camera kinda sucks, but its better than nothing for now.

1702918620793.jpg
How does that work?
Is that shading, or filament color?

10578FF1-C269-4A0D-8F00-B4492AA0F2AA.jpeg

It’s amazing how fast this thing will print and at the quality of the prints. I got it last week and I’m already gone through 4 spools of of filament.

Last edited:
10578FF1-C269-4A0D-8F00-B4492AA0F2AA.jpeg

It’s amazing how fast this thing will print and at the quality of the prints. I got it last week and I’m already gone through 4 spools of of filament.
I got the P1P as my first ever printer. I'm already wishing I had added the AMS, manual filament changes are getting old already!

I got the P1P as my first ever printer. I'm already wishing I had added the AMS, manual filament changes are getting old already!
It still seems super clunky in my head. I mean, you only have the one nozzle. So doesn’t it have to run over to the poop chute, make a pellet to get to your next color, then go print again? And do that every damned layer? I’d be all about a second filament for one of those fancy water soluble support filaments, but I’m guessing those are kinda underwhelming, too. But since that’s my only current use case, I’d like it to have dual print heads to keep from swapping.

That’s if I understand the process, which I sourced from my own imagination, without bothering to look up a video.

It still seems super clunky in my head. I mean, you only have the one nozzle. So doesn’t it have to run over to the poop chute, make a pellet to get to your next color, then go print again? And do that every damned layer? I’d be all about a second filament for one of those fancy water soluble support filaments, but I’m guessing those are kinda underwhelming, too. But since that’s my only current use case, I’d like it to have dual print heads to keep from swapping.

That’s if I understand the process, which I sourced from my own imagination, without bothering to look up a video.

Yes but it does it all automatically. If you are printing multiple colors on a single thing it’s a no brainer. I actually ordered a second one yesterday.

This is probably my favorite print yet. Will be a 3x4 map when done of the Witcher universe.

407DB183-3741-47CF-8AAC-F20F5BA74DDF.jpeg

That’s exactly how it works. However it isn’t necessarily happening every single layer. Depends on the item you are printing, how you “paint” it, and how you orient it on the build plate. A simple sign for instance with raised letters, it will print the back plate however many layers thick it is, then change colors to start the lettering.

ive also had great success using PLA as a support interface for PETG. You can set it up to do say 2 or 3 interface layers on your supports and have the AMS automatically change to a different material for just those 2 layers for easy to remove supports. PVA (the water soluble stuff) is most likely too soft to run thru the AMS. TPU is a no no for that reason as well.

everyone likes to bitch about the amount of waste generated by the AMS and multicolor printing, but there are plenty of ways to reduce it significantly. First off the purge volumes are aggressively high. They can easily be tuned down quite a bit, especially when going from a light to a dark color. You can set it to flush to infill, supports, and you can even designate one object on the bed to be a dedicated purge item where all of the purged filament will go to building another model. Best thing by far to do though is always fill the bed. Color change amounts are the same for 1 model as it is for 50 of them. And adding additional models doesn’t add that much additional print time either.

Been printing ABS on the P1S the last week or so. Got some flexible PLA and it's not wanting to release from the plate. Gotta futz with the settings some more. ABS is dialed in and working great though.

Top Back Refresh