What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

Did y'all watch the video?

Pretty well addresses all the trim/ballast issues.

Have to be a supporter to see it early.
I send him $12/year well worth it too me.

if it is an unlisted youtube video you can just link it for us
As much as I would love to do that I think that would violate the spirit of Doug allowing any price donation to achieve Patreon status.

Similar to the fireball vise thread, buy the plans for $5 and Panzer will build the parts.

As much as I would love to do that I think that would violate the spirit of Doug allowing any price donation to achieve Patreon status.

Similar to the fireball vise thread, buy the plans for $5 and Panzer will build the parts.
No one cares enough to feed the drama queen more money. Let us know if that bitch sinks..

I kind of skipped
did I see him struggle to pull the anchor with that winch?

if so that is going to be a problem :laughing:

I kind of skipped
did I see him struggle to pull the anchor with that winch?

if so that is going to be a problem :laughing:

I think he was running only on the VMAC. The main engine has a bigger pump that should be sized for the windlass.

Edit: Derp. Hadn't made it to the end of the vid yet. Seems like it's an undersized motor on it.

From FB. Apparently they're already headed down river and passing through the locks:

1646796511658.png

1646796439381.png

1646796576406.png

I think he was running only on the VMAC. The main engine has a bigger pump that should be sized for the windlass.

Edit: Derp. Hadn't made it to the end of the vid yet. Seems like it's an undersized motor on it.
He's so fucking hard headed he probably had 10 people tell him how to size that motor but he didn't listen... Or he never put oil in the winch, been there done that...:lmao:

I mean Tusla winch is in Tulsa... How could you not size it to pull a 200 lb load?

Every hydraulic winch truck I have been around or involved in building had a motor about 4 times that size.

Last edited:
If it was at the beginning, he had a valve open or closed that wasnt supposed to be and wasn't building pressure properly.

Aaron Z
That was why the deck crane didn't work, of course he can't/won't label ANY valves because someone on the internet told him he needed to.

That was why the deck crane didn't work, of course he can't/won't label ANY valves because someone on the internet told him he needed to.
I see that now.
Why would you want to label valves, it couldn't be important to know what valves do in the dark when you're half asleep because you're 36 hours into a storm with 2 hours of sleep and things are broken... :confused:
He should really have every line (air, hydraulic, water, etc) tagged with what it contains, flow direction, pressure (for hydraulics at least, whether it's high pressure or return to tank) and where it comes from / goes to.

Aaron Z

Has he said “ the Titanic was built by professionals “ yet?
Will he eat those words soon if so?

I see that now.
Why would you want to label valves, it couldn't be important to know what valves do in the dark when you're half asleep because you're 36 hours into a storm with 2 hours of sleep and things are broken... :confused:
He should really have every line (air, hydraulic, water, etc) tagged with what it contains, flow direction, pressure (for hydraulics at least, whether it's high pressure or return to tank) and where it comes from / goes to.

Aaron Z
It's a fools errand to say some of the shit he does.
I am a supporter for what it's worth but some of the shit is just dumb.
Watch him flip 50A in-feed breakers across from each other on the electric load center.
A simple tie bar interlock he could make in 5 minutes might keep him from destroying several thousand $ worth of equipment but he takes this position that competent men don't need it.

It will be interesting to see if some of his positions have changed after actually going sailing, getting his ass kicked and finding out he gets sea sick really easily.

Watch him flip 50A in-feed breakers across from each other on the electric load center.
A simple tie bar interlock he could make in 5 minutes might keep him from destroying several thousand $ worth of equipment but he takes this position that competent men don't need it.

It will be interesting to see if some of his positions have changed after actually going sailing, getting his ass kicked and finding out he gets sea sick really easily.
Exactly, it seems like he's gone about doing many things in whatever way he thinks is good without paying attention to why you don't normally do things that way on a boat.
The anchor hoist is a great example, it shouldn't be overly difficult to figure out what the weight of the anchor is going to be and how much force it will take to lift it up when the drum is full to the outside, multiply that by 2 to account for friction or being stuck on the seabed and use that to size your hydraulic motor.
From what I understand it's supposed to be some kind of boat where you can rent time to do scientific research at sea (although given that he is running a YouTube channel, perhaps part of the experiment is how much people will pay to watch people do stupid things at sea?)? Not sure I'd want to entrust any kind of expensive equipment to that boat.

Aaron Z

He's so fucking hard headed he probably had 10 people tell him how to size that motor but he didn't listen... Or he never put oil in the winch, been there done that...:lmao:

I mean Tusla winch is in Tulsa... How could you not size it to pull a 200 lb load?

Every hydraulic winch truck I have been around or involved in building had a motor about 4 times that size.
Exactly, it seems like he's gone about doing many things in whatever way he thinks is good without paying attention to why you don't normally do things that way on a boat.
The anchor hoist is a great example, it shouldn't be overly difficult to figure out what the weight of the anchor is going to be and how much force it will take to lift it up when the drum is full to the outside, multiply that by 2 to account for friction or being stuck on the seabed and use that to size your hydraulic motor.
From what I understand it's supposed to be some kind of boat where you can rent time to do scientific research at sea (although given that he is running a YouTube channel, perhaps part of the experiment is how much people will pay to watch people do stupid things at sea?)? Not sure I'd want to entrust any kind of expensive equipment to that boat.

Aaron Z

To be fair, the internet is full of experts that don't know shit about fuck. Just look at the comments on every one of his videos or FB posts (or anything about anything posted on the 'net). Hell, just look as the Askey Macballgargle threads on PBB and how many experts in life there were.

If the worst thing you have to deal with after 13 years of building a boat is a simple hydraulic motor swap, I wouldn't call that too bad.

You shouldn't "need" to label your valves and switches but having the redundancy will help, especially for stuff that rarely gets used. For a project that sized I would label things. He has a CNC so it's not like he can't just engrave a bunch of aluminum plates and pop rivet them on. Since he is going to have a bunch of transient people on the boat who won't have time to familiarize themselves with all the systems and their theory of operation it seems like an oversight to not label things.

That said, after 10yr dealing with "internet experts" who are more often than not just teenage idiots who googled shit 10min ago and think they know everything I can see how one would start doing the opposite of what they tell you by default and 9x/10 when he's done that it's worked well.

Last edited:
Everyone on this sit should know that "normal" includes a hell of a lot of baked in assumptions about labor costs, regulatory compliance, materials cost and other things that don't apply in the slightest when you're building a 1-off from fairly fluid plans using free labor and whatever material is cheap/available in the minute.

I think a lot of the shit he did is dumb and not how I'd have done it but when you spend a life building things you develop skills, techniques and materials you prefer working with and you tend to err toward those even though there may be other marginally better ways of doing things. I don't agree with everything he did but a lot of that is just difference of opinion and what he did will work as well as what I'd do in most cases.

To be fair, the internet is full of experts that don't know shit about fuck. Just look at the comments on every one of his videos or FB posts (or anything about anything posted on the 'net). Hell, just look as the Askey Macballgargle threads on PBB and how many experts in life there were.

If the worst thing you have to deal with after 13 years of building a boat is a simple hydraulic motor swap, I wouldn't call that too bad.
Man you aren't wrong. The comments on those videos are from some real winners.
Most responders have not basic working knowledge of the systems they are trying to help troubleshoot.

The reason I asked if it had oil in it is personal...

My first mechanic job at the foundation drilling company we started building a three axle winch truck. They had welders build the rack and for the equipment they had they did a great job.
We mounted 40k lb Tulsa oilfield winch to it just like Seeker has. The mentor I worked for had it all designed with a chain reduction driven hydraulic motor and a PTO mounted pump. It could reverse, free spool etc.
We where all pretty stoked on how well it came out and it worked perfectly.

We backed it down to the back of the yard and attempted to winch a drop neck trailer up on to the hitch.
It started pulling in line and every thing was looking awesome.
About the time it got to the rolling tailboard it stopped and pegged the pressure gauge. Figuring it was hung he reversed pulled the truck forward a bit and started again pulling the line more forward than vertical.
Again it stopped in the same spot.
We are all sort of confused, if this was as strong as it was then he/we fucked up.
We kept fucking with it with the same results, very low power.

Finally someone says "does it have any oil in it?"
We pull the level plug and it's full alright full of brass shavings from the bull gear.

As it turns out worm gear drives need lubrication. So for the next two days we pulled it down I spent a day with a die grinder and some files and got all the "flash" trimmed off and we put it back together and it's been running ever since.

It really makes me wonder if that thing has oil in it.

Last edited:
I wish them all the success in the world, but from what I've seen, this crew doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Top Back Refresh