What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

He's a hard headed mofo for sure..
No bow thruster on a single screw boat that size seems just foolish.

What I am talking about with the torque converter is a scenario where during docking you engage fwd and prop at 1/2 pitch. 1/2 pitch doesn't have enough force to move the boat due to wind, current etc. so you either increase pitch or RPM. If you increase pitch the prop could theoretically slow down due to converter stall speed making the problem worse. Then if the RPM was increased to a point where the converter locks the instant speed increase to the prop may be less desirable.

I have mentioned it to him but he is a wait and see type, nothing wrong with that.

On another topic where he had those 24v CAT hydraulic pumps I and others tried to help him with wiring/cable sizing as they are a product I am familiar with.
He avoided my input then much later suggested he was on the right track to getting them working, who knows if he did.

His style doesn't bother me but It is odd to see someone with so much conviction to ignore help. To be fair I have read the comments and he getsA LOT of help from some real dip shits. :homer:
I did catch the part where he used the Cummins out of the school bus
I did miss the part that he installed it weird
Those motors are in every third boat in Alaska, I just assumed that it was installed correctly, but I guess he is doing his own thing
But knowing that, I guess he will be popping the clutch doing dock burnouts and such maybe :laughing:

I like his git-it-done attitude though.

I did catch the part where he used the Cummins out of the school bus
I did miss the part that he installed it weird
Those motors are in every third boat in Alaska,
He didn't want to spend $$$$ on a fancy marine gearbox. Frankly I think he made the right decision. A marine gearbox is basically a single speed automatic with no torque converter. He sized the prop so that 1st/reverse are the right ratios to make the motor happy.

You don't think it's going to make the prop feel "variable speed" at below stall speeds?
I don't boat

but hey if it is really fucked up, could just drill a hole in the converter to install a nice lockup bolt through the whole mess
maybe drilling would be bad because it'd be impossible to get the shavings out, m2AP might do it cleaner?

either way, auto trans with a locked solid TC seems a lot like the "velvet drive" dingus that is on my boss' boat

He didn't want to spend $$$$ on a fancy marine gearbox. Frankly I think he made the right decision. A marine gearbox is basically a single speed automatic with no torque converter. He sized the prop so that 1st/reverse are the right ratios to make the motor happy.

I don't boat

but hey if it is really fucked up, could just drill a hole in the converter to install a nice lockup bolt through the whole mess
maybe drilling would be bad because it'd be impossible to get the shavings out, m2AP might do it cleaner?

either way, auto trans with a locked solid TC seems a lot like the "velvet drive" dingus that is on my boss' boat

Yeah exactly. I just figured why deal with the TC in the first place. He had the equipment to cut it open and machine full lockup versions of what ever he needed to. I tried to figure out how the power glide circle track guys used to do this, they had something similar but I couldn't find anything.

I could be way wrong, this is just my arm chair critique.

If you are going that far on a boat build, why wouldn't you put the proper transmission in

If you are going that far on a boat build, why wouldn't you put the proper transmission in
Because if you decide you need it later it will be cake to fit a marine transmission in the massive void formerly occupied by the free AT545 that came with your 5.9. Cash flow management has been a big theme of his build.

Back in "the day" people ran Powerglides in some racing boats because engine technology wasn't where it is today and the low speed helped get you through that "lopey turd that makes no torque down low" part of the power curve and then the torque converter allowed the slip you needed for the up-shift.

I'm solidly in the "it'll be fine" camp.

I don't boat

Cut windows in the side, weld spinny shit to shit that doesn't spin, weld holes back up. That way all your chips are small enough to pass through and be caught by the filter that it has to go through after the torque converter :smokin:

I don't boat

There was/is a torque converter delete that was a flat plate with a TC snout splined into it.

650A424C-91D8-4A72-ACEB-36A0DF5D81D5.png

I have no idea what the boat looks like hold wise or how the hatches are set up. When I'm looking for leakes in black pipe I pressurize it to 5-10 psi and wait for it to leak down. The utility usually pulls an inch of vaccume, you could do that as well. In my experience its easier to find leaks with positive pressure than negative pressure.

If the plate was 6x8 you would have some way of bolting it down evey foot or so as well as whatever gasket material you were using. Conservatively a bolt evey foot would be 28 bolts if you used 3/8 they have a clamping load of 3k lbs each. So 84k lbs of clamping pressure with 35k of force applied by the air pressure pushing out.

I was just trying to make the point there has to be some way of pressure testing the hull on dry land before dropping it in the water.
Leaks aren't the issue. Well they are but any leak on this thing should be more than manageable.

It's form stability and righting moment that the insurance companies and Coast Guard are worried about. These measurements can only really be done in the water. Without a naval architect signing off on the plans, it's up in the air. The easy way to visualize this is a nail through a cork. If the head of the nail (keel) isn't heavy enough to balance out the part sticking out of the water (hull structure, mast and rigging) the cork falls over.

This is the expensive part, if it all goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

Here's an extreme example of a badass hot rod doing stability testing

Here's an example when the plan goes wrong

There used to be a Clutchflite transmission that had a clutch instead of a torque converter, I never saw one only read about them
Pretty sure he started with someones plans, how far he deviated from them is unknown, I know they poured thousands of pound of lead into the keels

There used to be a Clutchflite transmission that had a clutch instead of a torque converter, I never saw one only read about them
Pretty sure he started with someones plans, how far he deviated from them is unknown, I know they poured thousands of pound of lead into the keels
Well that's a trip down memory lane. I think to just make a damped solid torque converter would be pretty easy for the guy.
It will add more tech videos if it doesn't work so that's a win/win for me.

Leaks aren't the issue. Well they are but any leak on this thing should be more than manageable.

It's form stability and righting moment that the insurance companies and Coast Guard are worried about. These measurements can only really be done in the water. Without a naval architect signing off on the plans, it's up in the air. The easy way to visualize this is a nail through a cork. If the head of the nail (keel) isn't heavy enough to balance out the part sticking out of the water (hull structure, mast and rigging) the cork falls over.

This is the expensive part, if it all goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

Here's an extreme example of a badass hot rod doing stability testing

Here's an example when the plan goes wrong

the boat from the second video is still sitting in the yard in town here. what an epic fuck up

my brother was the crane opp on the job and i regularly work at the yard its stored in. story since the epic fuck up the boat has changed hands many times and never been worked on. but whoever the owner is pays the yard bills... so it sits

its the one to the right of the boat i'm working on
3yZl4GPWWmtqJl0pGbslh34_Vj=w521-h694-no?authuser=0.jpg

also i only have one experience with the guy that built the seeker boat. he's a douche.

i had problems with a pos HTP welding machine, and apparently this dude works for them in some capacity.

HTP told me i wou;d be getting a call from their tech... and i got a few voicemails, that i immediately erased as soon as i heard "you probably know me from the youtube videos you watch..." turns out this dude is the tech that was supposed to call me. once i finally got through to him i have no clue who he is and dont care, i quickly found out he's retarded and couldn't help, the machine was a $3k waste of money. performs like crap and auto detunes rather than shutting down when reaching duty cycle.

i'd laugh my ass off watching that seeker turn into a sinker, its only a matter of time.

***correction; seeker guy i dont know, i talked to a 'peter zila' thru HTP. fuck peter and HTP.

Last edited:
also i only have one experience with the guy that built the seeker boat. he's a douche.

i had problems with a pos HTP welding machine, and apparently this dude works for them in some capacity.

HTP told me i wou;d be getting a call from their tech... and i got a few voicemails, that i immediately erased as soon as i heard "you probably know me from the youtube videos you watch..." turns out this dude is the tech that was supposed to call me. once i finally got through to him i have no clue who he is and dont care, i quickly found out he's retarded and couldn't help, the machine was a $3k waste of money. performs like crap and auto detunes rather than shutting down when reaching duty cycle.

i'd laugh my ass off watching that seeker turn into a sinker, its only a matter of time.
That doesn't sound accurate at all. Surely him working for HTP would have been brought up in the videos or at least some reference to it on the web. I don't think he even had any HTP products in any of his vids.

That's weird as hell. At one point he was shit talking HTP I thought even sent a welder back and said it was trash on the video.
BUT I think he was suggesting them at one point too, iit was a high freq pulse AL rig I think.

Weird

That doesn't sound accurate at all. Surely him working for HTP would have been brought up in the videos or at least some reference to it on the web. I don't think he even had any HTP products in any of his vids.
do i need to dig up emails for you?

100% no lies. the machine i had was a pro pulse 220, this was before the 300 came out, he apparently had work into the pulse programming and machine testing.

fuck off with your bs:flipoff2:

do i need to dig up emails for you?
Yeah, I'd love to see them. Obviously there's the vid posted above, but I though Zila brought the welder.

The Zila guy from the vid above is one of the ones I remember pushing HTP on his channel and the think "The Fabrication Serries" had a bunch of videos on them.

If he worked for or were sponsored by them you'd think there would be a lot more of them featured in his vids.

Apparently HTP's shit is so good it gets passed around like a cheap whore. :laughing: Zilla -> Seaker -> 42fab

Yeah, I'd love to see them. Obviously there's the vid posted above, but I though Zila brought the welder.

The Zila guy from the vid above is one of the ones I remember pushing HTP on his channel and the think "The Fabrication Serries" had a bunch of videos on them.

If he worked for or were sponsored by them you'd think there would be a lot more of them featured in his vids.
here's one;

photo

Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 3:38 PM

Bart,

Peter tried to give you a call. He could not leave a message because your voice mailbox was full. He did send you a text.

Please try to give him a call at your convenience. 414-779-4303

Jeff Noland
HTP America, Inc.
180 Joey Dr.
Elk Grove Village, IL 60007
www.USAWeld.com
847-357-0700

the guys name was peter... is that the seeker guy, or one of his helpers??? i have no clue who the peter dude was. hed referenced youtube and the seeker boat ALLOT!

i can pm you the other emails
this is the only one that didin't have any of my info in it (and regarding this emails content, my voicemail wasn't full... the peter guy is lying piece of shit)

the only problem that i had with the HTp welder that i received, was that it would change the weld settings on its own as it reached duty cycle.

thats not acceptable for what any welder is used for. you dont know whats changing when the hoods down!!

as for HTP as a company they have asshats like this effwad, thinking they are youtoob gods. as tech support. they are supposed to help, but must first thoughly inform the user of their youtoob creds. fuck 'em

for every moment of help/insight there was 10min of "i'm so great, look me up on the innerweb, you'll see" fuck that business model

I'm pretty sure the SVseeker guy's name is Doug and he made all his money doing Oracle database stuff.

the guys name was peter... is that the seeker guy, or one of his helpers??? i have no clue who the peter dude was. hed referenced youtube and the seeker boat ALLOT!
I'm pretty sure the SVseeker guy's name is Doug and he made all his money doing Oracle database stuff.

Correct. Doug Jackson.

I'm betting that's "Peter Zila" from this video. Most likely a paid shill that makes cash or gets free shit for pimping them in his videos.....and obviously gets them on other channels too.

Probably trying to live off the "fame" of beeing on some of seeker's clips. I don't remember him so no clue how many videos he was actually in.

Top Back Refresh