What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

Does anyone remember those cylindrical grinding wheels he had during the part of the build where the interior and exterior welds in plate were being ground smooth? I'm looking to buy a few for something.
"flaring cup wheel" used to be available in every hardware store

"flaring cup wheel"
Holy shit those are expensive. Way more expensive than I can see Doug shelling out for. Maybe it was a sponsored deal.

Was it square tipped or pointed tip?
Grinding cones are much more reasonably priced but don't come in useful diameters.

Regardless, flaring cup wheel was probably it. Though I would have sworn what he had were solid, not hollow.

Might just say fuck it and stick a 6" bench grinder wheel on there. :laughing:

can’t wait to see lol

ETA: what ever happened with this guy and his boat?
He's sailing from Pensacola down to ? At the moment, it's mostly successful, he's broke a bunch of shit and most my I told you so's I messaged him about have been corrected but he knows better than most of us.

I still enjoy his content, just wish there was more of it, sailing, wrenching or wrecking :homer:

I hope he does well financially, maybe socked some of the yt money away.

He's always said his plan was airB&B research. That sounds sketchy to me.

I know I haven't watched one of his videos pretty much since launch.

Good lord is it typical for a windlass to be that slow?
It is when you ignore all the calculations and just build it:lmao:
Doug has a weird ability to think the laws of shit don't apply to him.

He had a similar realization with some 24v CAT emergency steering hydraulic pumps. He had them fused with 50 amp circuits and I explained they are going to draw around 300 amps at the rated pressure/flow and he told me he won't need that much. :homer:

Transfer case got uncomfortably warm again. :laughing:

Dude just doesn't appreciate that if you wanna full send it in low range for hours on end you're gonna either need active cooling or a tolerance for high temps. None of this shit would be an issue if he hadn't half-assed the cooling every time he revised it so far.

I still think he should have used a modern aluminum planetary case rolled on its side with the chain removed or the front output section lopped off.

Last edited:
Just watching him flip all those switches and turn knobs and close/open valves just to pull out of port made me think "damn I would not want to try and operate this vessel after a few beers" :lmao:

Seems way overcomplicated and the more of that kind of shit you have to do the more opportunity for you to make a mistake or something to go wrong.

Just watching him flip all those switches and turn knobs and close/open valves just to pull out of port made me think "damn I would not want to try and operate this vessel after a few beers" :lmao:

Seems way overcomplicated and the more of that kind of shit you have to do the more opportunity for you to make a mistake or something to go wrong.
Yeah and to that point he was purposely NOT labeling ANYTHING because "this isn't a safe space" "your mom isn't here" ETC. which while I agree it's a pretty dumb attitude to have when the idea is to have a boat ran by a volunteer (read unqualified) crew that rotates in and out.

I noticed in his last video the Throttle, Transmission and Propeller controls all have labels on them now...

I don't know if it was here, PBB or in a YouTube video comment but I told someone to check the fuckin oil in that winch cause I experienced that failure first hand in 1998 :lmao:

Is it just me or does dude have an incredibly smug way about him? Makes me want to punch him in the face when I watch his videos. Seems like the type of guy that thinks he knows everything. I'm certain I would be highly annoyed after spending about 10 minutes with him.
I agree 100%. I think he's an asshole, TBH. When he pulled that explosion stunt that everyone (but me) fell for and made money from it I knew exactly what kind of loser he was.

I agree 100%. I think he's an asshole, TBH. When he pulled that explosion stunt that everyone (but me) fell for and made money from it I knew exactly what kind of loser he was.
I'm relatively new to his videos and it was readily apparent what a tool he is. I have been around guys like him in person and they are insufferable.

I almost fell for it till I went and searched the OK news sites and ther was no meantion of an explosion, which you know there would have been. Then there was the deivorce and all the sudden his grandson quit showing up

Top Back Refresh