What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

Well you have to shift from FWD to REV... usually a lot when docking.
Check valve to bypass the restriction when decoupling the trans from engine would solve that. Maybe test and drill the restriction out until you have the quickest clutch dump you think you can get away with without being too hard on stuff.

If 1st and reverse are on the same shift rail then it should be a simple actuator to switch between them.

Not an insurmountable problem in any case. But then again neither are driveline angles and reduction gearboxes. :laughing:

Check valve to bypass the restriction when decoupling the trans from engine would solve that. Maybe test and drill the restriction out until you have the quickest clutch dump you think you can get away with without being too hard on stuff.

If 1st and reverse are on the same shift rail then it should be a simple actuator to switch between them.

Not an insurmountable problem in any case. But then again neither are drive line angles and reduction gearboxes. :laughing:
Exactly, at first glance that complication seemed to be not worthwhile but now that seems possibly the simpler solution.

I can find a velvet drive marine transmission for $400 all day everyday, there's one with a 2.56 ratio and one with a 1.52 ratio on Marketplace within 20 minutes of my house. This guy's an idiot.
I was under the impression that his torque retirements put him just barely above what those are happy with.

thinking about it now it would probably have been much easier to direct flange mount the TC output to the Hunderstead in put as it was already a flange. The single drive shaft could have then been straight from the trans output to the TC with the as designed drive shaft angles.
That would also reduce load on the driveshaft (higher RPM meaning less torque for the same HP passing through it and all).

Well you have to shift from FWD to REV... usually a lot when docking.
Does his controllable pitch propeller move enough to handle forward and reverse by altering the pitch?

Aaron Z

I can find a velvet drive marine transmission for $400 all day everyday, there's one with a 2.56 ratio and one with a 1.52 ratio on Marketplace within 20 minutes of my house. This guy's an idiot.
a 2.56 is worse than what he has now though, he needs 5-6.xx ratio.

That would also reduce load on the driveshaft (higher RPM meaning less torque for the same HP passing through it and all).

Does his controllable pitch propeller move enough to handle forward and reverse by altering the pitch?

Aaron Z
I don't believe so, it goes from 0 pitch (sailing mode) to full pitch (max thrust)

IIRC it has less than 90deg of throw. I remember him talking way back about how he can either have zero pitch for best sailing or infinite pitch for spinning the prop but going nowhere but not both.

with the whole world running 2.xxx ratios in boat transmissions, how did he back himself into a corner needing double that?
I’m sure it was the adjustable pitch prop.

I don’t know why he couldn’t cast a smaller od blade to increase the rpm. He casted the ones on the boat now.

I’m sure it was the adjustable pitch prop.

I don’t know why he couldn’t cast a smaller od blade to increase the rpm. He casted the ones on the boat now.
I don't know what limitations the adjusting gearbox thing imposed on the prop design. Maybe it had some stupid low max RPM hence the huge prop?

so he's cobblefucking his entire drivetrain together to accommodate his own personal decisions in the design phase?

well I guess you get what you get then.
no ragrets
honestly, I think this is part of his 'adventure' He is enjoying the R&D of making it work
shrug, good for him

....but all the tech is right there and exists!:laughing:

honestly, I think this is part of his 'adventure' He is enjoying the R&D of making it work
shrug, good for him

....but all the tech is right there and exists!:laughing:
like I said, if I were planning on being in the ocean, I'd want a real solid setup for the motor.

not trying to be that guy that the coast guard has to come rescue cause my hackfucked driveline shit itself out at an inopportune moment.

but hey, it's not my boat and it's not my life, so proceed sir.
this is the most I've thought about dude since he faked blowing himself up.

like I said, if I were planning on being in the ocean, I'd want a real solid setup for the motor.

not trying to be that guy that the coast guard has to come rescue cause my hackfucked driveline shit itself out at an inopportune moment.

It is a sail boat after all...

I agree though :flipoff2:

oh, he is going to be the cause of his own death for sure :laughing:

Turns out when you need a motor in a sailboat you really NEED a motor.
I agree in principal but he's built that thing so overkill I fully expect him to work his way up to sailing in a hurricane. It'll probably be mainsail only and he'll shread half a dozen sails getting there but still.

a 2.56 is worse than what he has now though, he needs 5-6.xx ratio.
I thought he was in 1:1 4th gear on the trans to keep temps down and low range in the 205 case, which is 1.96 :1. Velvet drive has liquid cooled though a heat exchanger and is MADE FOR A BOAT. He could put a keel cooler or HX on it with a big ass internal engine driven circ pump that would pump the correct amount of water through a proper water/oil HX. Keel cooler won''t hurt performance, this thing isn't going to sail for shit anyway.

( I can barely remember my own work phone number but I know dead nuts that a 205 is 1.96:1, wtf is wrong with me)

I thought he was in 1:1 4th gear on the trans to keep temps down and low range in the 205 case, which is 1.96 :1. Velvet drive has liquid cooled though a heat exchanger and is MADE FOR A BOAT. He could put a keel cooler or HX on it with a big ass internal engine driven circ pump that would pump the correct amount of water through a proper water/oil HX. Keel cooler won''t hurt performance, this thing isn't going to sail for shit anyway.

( I can barely remember my own work phone number but I know dead nuts that a 205 is 1.96:1, wtf is wrong with me)
I think you're sucking the Borg Warner cock a little too hard. Do they even make one that's both a deep ratio and up to his power/torque demands. The deeper ratios tend to be for smaller craft.

There's no fundamental reason what he's trying to do shouldn't work. Everything is proven to take what he's asking of it and more. He is just doing a bad job on the execution.

Not that i recall, he's running in 1st most and occasionally 2nd with the 205, only 1st in the trans only.

With the 30+" prop it's a slow speed deal but he can't over the torque peak so he's killing the engine trying to pull the prop at 1300rpm.

Adding the 205 was a 20% fuel reduction per his math.

10-4. Constant chatter load at those low RPM's will shear gears off, like it has. 30" prop is a lot. Velvet or ZF, tons of good solutions with liquid cooling. I saw the bottom of this thing, he's trying to push a brick. No wonder it loads up so hard.

10-4. Constant chatter load at those low RPM's will shear gears off, like it has. 30" prop is a lot. Velvet or ZF, tons of good solutions with liquid cooling. I saw the bottom of this thing, he's trying to push a brick. No wonder it loads up so hard.
Yep, I don't have any propeller knowledge but it's a giant fucker even variable pitch.

Compared to the 700 hp wakeboard boats I mess with it's a different animal.

Does anyone remember those cylindrical grinding wheels he had during the part of the build where the interior and exterior welds in plate were being ground smooth? I'm looking to buy a few for something.

I don’t, but what is something? Removing the seam from round or box tube? Either way what you’re talking about seems useful

Does anyone remember those cylindrical grinding wheels he had during the part of the build where the interior and exterior welds in plate were being ground smooth? I'm looking to buy a few for something.
Was it square tipped or pointed tip?

“Grinding cone” comes in 4 variations that I know of. Pointed, triangle with squared tip, plug, and round tip.

I don’t, but what is something? Removing the seam from round or box tube? Either way what you’re talking about seems useful
I'm making a stand to hold an angle grinder against something and let it move in a specific arc. I want more grinding wheel to lengthen the time between tool changes.

Top Back Refresh