What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

Yup. And when you don't know what you don't know the best course of action is to just ignore it all and listen to people you've vetted personally.
The problem is when you don't know enough to do that vetting so you listen to whoever reinforces your preconceived notions...

Aaron Z

And that's how you wind up dying in a submarine on your way to the Titanic. :laughing:
I would say that would be the difference between ignorance and willful stupidity...
This guy has a bunch of random people of various skill levels shouting at him (plus whoever he is working with in the background).
Mr. Implosion had credentialed experts in the deep sea manned submersible field who he was paying to advise him that he took to court to silence when they did what they were being paid to do and pointed out the problems/dangers with his design.

Aaron Z

I would say that would be the difference between ignorance and willful stupidity...
This guy has a bunch of random people of various skill levels shouting at him (plus whoever he is working with in the background).

Yep. Just look at any thread here. Or go and look at the original McBallgargle thread on PBB and all of the "advise" that was thrown out and pretty much being demanded that he take. There are 2700 opinions on how you should do something. And every fucking one of them is correct, according to its author.

The best thing about the Internet is that it has given everyone a voice. The worst thing about the Internet is that it has given everyone a voice.

Yep. Just look at any thread here. Or go and look at the original McBallgargle thread on PBB and all of the "advise" that was thrown out and pretty much being demanded that he take. There are 2700 opinions on how you should do something. And every fucking one of them is correct, according to its author.

The best thing about the Internet is that it has given everyone a voice. The worst thing about the Internet is that it has given everyone a voice.
I mean in that case, most any of the opinions would have worked, but there was a whole bunch of options to choose from.
Sort of like with beekeeping (or many other subjects), everybody has their own opinion (or three) about how best to go about doing something, most of them work pretty well for whoever is giving the advice, but you need to figure out if it will work in your situation.
In this case with what sounds like a drive shaft end that is not welded on square, it seems like a no-brainer to fix that first if you talk to anyone who knows anything about drive shafts.

Aaron Z

I finally watched the welded transfer case video.

He's for sure from Tulsa. :laughing:

I guess I missed it, why is he running hydraulic fluid through the transfer case, filling it with 90W is too easy?

From some cliffs on this.
I posit..

Posts shit on youboob...
Gets a metric shiton of freebies.
Starts living for free,gains access to more freebies.

Now (?)
Who's the :homer:?
:flipoff2:

I finally watched the welded transfer case video.

He's for sure from Tulsa. :laughing:

I guess I missed it, why is he running hydraulic fluid through the transfer case, filling it with 90W is too easy?
If I read the comments correctly, he is running it in low range and thinks he needs extra cooling?

Aaron Z

If I read the comments correctly, he is running it in low range and thinks he needs extra cooling?

Aaron Z
I think its because the TC is sitting 90* from normal and the input is running "dry". The idea is to pour the incoming fluid in the top and bath the input.

Having worked on AG drivetrains with cascaded oil systems it is problematic at best to get this to work.

Why? External waterfall of oil not result in it getting slung into all the same places as an oil bath from below?
In our case it was keeping the oil levels consistent with out scavenge pumps for each compartment.
When roading the rear axle would fill completely, spike oil temps over 500* and melt gears.

In our case it was keeping the oil levels consistent with out scavenge pumps for each compartment.
When roading the rear axle would fill completely, spike oil temps over 500* and melt gears.
That's what most of the videos have been about. Whatever needle valve he added last time supposedly got it tweaked to where the oil level was staying consistent. Before, he could get it pretty leveled out, but as soon as he the changed the prop pitch, hundested would change flow and either drain or overfill the case.

This welding idea is DUMB.
I really don't know why the didn't just connect the case to the trans with a splined coupler.
The implementation of the TC just went wrong, good idea and needed but bad execution so far.
Well predictably the super short drive shaft overheated and spit all the needles out in the first real test.

He's looking pretty clueless on it so he put new u-joint in it, I guess he'll retest...

I still think he needs to spline/flange couple the TC to the trans then run a driveshaft to the hunderstead.

Haven't watched it yet but doesn't look like anyone here will be surprised.

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 8.27.48 PM.png

Haven't watched it yet but doesn't look like anyone here will be surprised.

Screen Shot 2023-10-27 at 8.27.48 PM.png
Watching it now and yeah not really.
I don't understand how he has not come around on this yet. I also don't get how he just hasn't swapped the Allison for one with the correct ratio...

didn't read
did he kill himself yet?

Or is he busy installing a new spare tire mount on the back of the house ?

didn't read
did he kill himself yet?

Or is he busy installing a new spare tire mount on the back of the house ?
He didn't die but totally wiped out the 205, ordered all new parts to rebuild the 205.

I could be wrong but I don't know if the 205 is as much as a problem as it is taking up too much driveline room and running everything at the ragged edge.

You really needs to build a planetary gear reducer or buy a SCS single speed box.

He didn't die but totally wiped out the 205, ordered all new parts to rebuild the 205.

I could be wrong but I don't know if the 205 is as much as a problem as it is taking up too much driveline room and running everything at the ragged edge.

You really needs to build a planetary gear reducer or buy a SCS single speed box.
You can't tell him anything he is smarter than anybody else because he used to work in IT

Watching it now and yeah not really.
I don't understand how he has not come around on this yet. I also don't get how he just hasn't swapped the Allison for one with the correct ratio...
or just put a manual with a clutch in there. He runs the Allison in high gear so it doesn't build heat then uses the transfer case to slow it down. what he needs is a 1st or 2nd gear. He's being stubborn using the cheap parts he got from the bus 10 years ago instead of getting the right parts now when he has a real budget.

You can't tell him anything he is smarter than anybody else because he used to work in IT
I work in IT and and I'm smarter than everybody and even I aim for the center of the "shit will for for this" range. :flipoff2:

You only need to brown out ports on a six figure motherboard once to learn that lesson for good. :laughing:

IIRC he's a database guy, not someone who did much of anything with hardware so he didn't spend his career learning that shit rated for X and Y doesn't actually do X if you run it at the ragged edge of Y.

Top Back Refresh