What's new

SV Seeker is on the move

i dont follow the youtube stuff...

so not the seeker guy? peter, yes peter zila rings a bell. on the phone he was the 'seeker' guy, youtube star etc...

i guess he mis represented himself more than i knew, and i was wrong. the person i talked with was not the seeker guy, it was peter

i dont follow the youtube stuff...

so not the seeker guy? peter, yes peter zila rings a bell. on the phone he was the 'seeker' guy, youtube star etc...

i guess he mis represented himself more than i knew, and i was wrong. the person i talked with was not the seeker guy, it was peter
I've heard of him but never watched any of his shit and don't even remember him from seaker videos. He's probably not even in the top 20 of youtube welding/fab channels.

Most likely what happened was he was in one of seeker's videos which brought a bunch of traffic to his channel and made him think he was famous. You must have talked to him right after his rise to fame. :laughing:

Back in "the day" people ran Powerglides in some racing boats because engine technology wasn't where it is today and the low speed helped get you through that "lopey turd that makes no torque down low" part of the power curve and then the torque converter allowed the slip you needed for the up-shift.

I'm solidly in the "it'll be fine" camp.
Shut your mouth about the two speed boats.
I have a 700 hp blown Chevy BB 24' Campbell V-Drive with a 2 speed powerglide.
It's a blast and one of my more fun boats to take out.:flipoff2::flipoff2::beer:

Shut your mouth about the two speed boats.
I have a 700 hp blown Chevy BB 24' Campbell V-Drive with a 2 speed powerglide.
It's a blast and one of my more fun boats to take out.:flipoff2::flipoff2::beer:
I think the trans he used is a good idea, just not sure about the torque converter part.

The only Peter I remember is the fake death/actor guy? He doesn't know shit about welders though right?

It only took almost 6 months longer than they expected, but they put her in the water a few days ago. There was no live stream and any type of announcement until after it was done. I'm guessing because the port didn't want any visitors showing up. Or Doug was afraid it wouldn't float. :laughing:
1646442975569.png

1646443325928.png

1646443045238.png

1646443193460.png

1646443305254.png

1646443175427.png

1646442920213.png

Even appears to be sitting at a pretty good line in the water.

I don't care for the body lines at all
but I can appreciate all the hard work that he put into it

though, he will probably kill himself with it

There are thousands of pound of lead in the keels
I am wondering if his light pole masts will stand a heavy blow

Those light poles are made to a take a pretty heavy wind load. No idea how that translates to a giant sail load, but we'll see soon enough.

Really curious to see how it sails. Not like there are a whole lot of junk rigs floating around to compare it to.

Is it just me or does it have a pretty good list to starboard? I thought it might just be the lens at first but I'm seeing it in every picture...

Definitely has a hard list to starboard - hopefully he's got some shit he can shift around in it to even it out. Otherwise, that'd get old quick...

IIRC he had ballast that could be shifted from side to side

He's got like 20k lbs of lead in the keel "wings" on the bottom and left space to add lead blocks on top of that to even it out as needed. Pretty sure he's got almost all of the equipment on board now so the only weight changes will be when they have new gear for whatever research crew they have on board. He's got a CNC mill/lathe, CNC plasma, router and 3D printer on board. 3 different hydraulic power supplies - main engine, VMAC and electric. Tons of batteries for the solar setup. There's a little weight below the water line. :laughing:

Reactions: DMG
He's got like 20k lbs of lead in the keel "wings" on the bottom and left space to add lead blocks on top of that to even it out as needed. Pretty sure he's got almost all of the equipment on board now so the only weight changes will be when they have new gear for whatever research crew they have on board. He's got a CNC mill/lathe, CNC plasma, router and 3D printer on board. 3 different hydraulic power supplies - main engine, VMAC and electric. Tons of batteries for the solar setup. There's a little weight below the water line. :laughing:
except it appears to be lacking significantly in the fulcrum department. it might be heavy, hopefully it is all far enough apart and away that it doesn't roll majestically under a good wind.

except it appears to be lacking significantly in the fulcrum department. it might be heavy, hopefully it is all far enough apart and away that it doesn't roll majestically under a good wind.
History has shown that majestic roll on a few high profile vessels. I'm with those saying that regardless of weight, she seems top heavy.

Would this vessel be required to complete sea trials?

I'm bored so I'm replying for the third time :laughing:

After my absolutely professional, thorough marine survey via pics on my phone I've determined that the vessel is fatally flawed. There seems to be not enough space below COG to reduce/ counteract the load above COG.

ESPECIALLY with a sail extended and putting massive side forces on her

This concludes my truly professional marine survey.

Signed: CPT 1981k20 :flipoff2:

I don't care if there's 50k lbs of lead there, this water line don't look right :laughing:

20220305_101429.png
The boat was engineered, not by Doug if that matters.
All the black is really just empty space, all the weight is at or below the water line.

Either way he's gonna send it.:lmao:

1646512886264.png

I have said it too going past these things back and forth to Alaska
why don't they tip over

its science, and you have to follow the science :grinpimp:

Top Back Refresh