What's new

Siberian Express....

Had a power surge here last night didn't lose power but it fried the inducer motor on the furnace , $1000.00 later we're good to go.

Oh and FUCK YOU COM ED and your shitty power grid.

1671823309874.jpeg

We've gone from 40 below to 4 below in about 8 hours. While I am happy it warmed up some, I am not happy with the massive amount of snow coming down right now. We are supposed to get 8 or 10 inches by midnight.

Just a little nipply around here...

Attachments

• 20210215_093121.jpg
    20210215_093121.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 2
Guess a water main broke in downtown sandpoint. Does not look like fun! :laughing:

IMG_20221223_141118.jpg
I'm so glad I install them new in the summer and don't have to deal with that.

Rained all day and there was 2' of snow on the ground. Rivers are swollen. It's now snowing like a bastard and supposed to be single digits tonight. I have a feeling power will be out and lots of frozen trees down.

Rained all day and there was 2' of snow on the ground. Rivers are swollen. It's now snowing like a bastard and supposed to be single digits tonight. I have a feeling power will be out and lots of frozen trees down.

At least yall will have a good solid base for snowmobiling the rest of winter when that freezes up.

Climbed up to 1 degree. The wind is whipping around something wicked.

My chickens are huddled together on a roosting bar but seem ok

I'm so glad I install them new in the summer and don't have to deal with that.

We actually do some work for the city of d sand point and my first thought was "not it!" :laughing:

Usually we get water leak calls in the spring. The only one I have done this winter was luckily in sand and all the water disappeared by the time I got there.

Layers of ice. Current one is about 1/4 of an inch. Forecasted high was 42. We already peaked at 32 and are dropping. Forecast is for 3/4” of precipitation. Fuck I dont know whats worse, 8ish inches of heavy wet snow over ice covered trees vs. 3/4” more ice on the trees. I think this may result in a generator storm by tomorrow. Going to cook the pies tonight so we really inly have to improvise prime rib tomorrow if the power is out. I was promised 5-8” of snow this morning and all I got was some lousy ice. I am not amused.

Climbed up to 1 degree. The wind is whipping around something wicked.

My chickens are huddled together on a roosting bar but seem ok
As long as they are dry and out of the wind they should be ok. I wrapped up my coops with 4mil plastic sheet to keep them dry and safe in winter.

As long as they are dry and out of the wind they should be ok. I wrapped up my coops with 4mil plastic sheet to keep them dry and safe in winter.
The henhouse has 2” styrofoam in the walls and the run is wrapped in tarps as best we could get it. With hay bales around the bottom.

Might pick up a heater tomorrow to throw a few extra degrees in the henhouse. Already have electricity run out there for their water, so I might as well.

The henhouse has 2” styrofoam in the walls and the run is wrapped in tarps as best we could get it. With hay bales around the bottom.

Might pick up a heater tomorrow to throw a few extra degrees in the henhouse. Already have electricity run out there for their water, so I might as well.

Lady I know said she doesn't like heaters since they can cause fires. She had a good point. "chickens are cheap" :laughing:

We used a couple of heat lamps on the ceiling for our chickens and let them huddle together, from what I read the biggest problem is making sure the roost is air tight

Don’t.

Close the door to run to keep them inside and keep winds out. Chickens will be fine with no heat as long as their coop is dry and draft-free.

Heaters of any kind can actually be harmful to them.

Lady I know said she doesn't like heaters since they can cause fires. She had a good point. "chickens are cheap" :laughing:
Small chicken coops are your friend in cold climates. Helps them stay warmer. That said I aint doing shit for my chickens aside from unfrozen water in the mornings. Teens multiple times a year and overall they hang in there well enough

6F here in Central Ny now with 50 mph wind up here on the hill. It was 50F this afternoon with flooding along streams from a foot of snow melt and 2 inches of rain.

Switched over to Beech and Hop Hornbeam in the wood furnace to keep the 225 year old farm house at 68F.

We used a couple of heat lamps on the ceiling for our chickens and let them huddle together, from what I read the biggest problem is making sure the roost is air tight
Ceramic heater on top of the henhouse. Won’t be touching anything combustible.

Sure chickens are cheap, but I don’t need them freezing to death

Ok. It’s been fun, but that’s about enough o this bullshit. Wood stove is gettin it done, but im lookin froward to next weekend when its 60 lol.
D2DF062C-7AB4-4DA5-B5B9-3300140AD184.jpeg

Lost power for a bit, was going to drag out the generator and it came back on. I need to get a 36v inverter so I can run stuff off my forklift batteries.

Ran around outside checking on the coops and making sure the plastic was still good with the winds, and stuffing some paper in the door gaps. Got a ceramic heater up top in the one where the serama lives, she roosts high away from everyone so I was worried when power was out with her being alone and not a cold hardy breed.

Top Back Refresh