What's new

Siberian Express....

AEC77787-D29F-4449-AD55-545624ABC435.jpeg

Now this is when it gets cold, 33* and raining.

Time to get out the life rafts, we gonna be flooding soon.

Serious question:

How does 26* and rain work? I'm assuming it's going to be a mess if it happens

Screenshot_20221224_145349_Wunderground.jpg
If the ground is frozen and you get a lot of rain it gets bad. Had 1000’s houses basements flood when this happened a few years back. Water fills in spots that never had water sitting before.

If the ground is frozen and you get a lot of rain it gets bad. Had 1000’s houses basements flood when this happened a few years back. Water fills in spots that never had water sitting before.

It's been below freezing ex except a few hours here and there since early November. Then Thursday was -20* low and -5* or so high, with almost a little bit higher yesterday. So I'd say the ground is pretty frozen :laughing:

There is also at least 2' of white stuff on the ground......

Tonight is only supposed to freeze rain for just a bit, but next week is going to suck...

Screenshot_20221224_154938_Google.jpg

We, as a species, have gotten really fucking soft. In the matter of a few generations.
Check out Wim Hoff, it's all conditioning, and us simple soft folks can bring that back, fairly quickly.
Friends moved to Norway. She came back to visit and told us we coddle our children. They leave there outside in the buggy while they are in the store. Yup kids outside in freezing temps just bundled up while lom or dad is inside doing stuff.

Friends moved to Norway. She came back to visit and told us we coddle our children. They leave there outside in the buggy while they are in the store. Yup kids outside in freezing temps just bundled up while lom or dad is inside doing stuff.

I find that extremely hard to believe

Ok, looks like it's true. But only for very short times while there just inside a window. Not like in Walmart :laughing:

Is there a real concern about a thin layer of ice on a pool?
Not really, as long as the pipes and pump are drained. You either have to keep the water moving, or drain the water out. If it gets cold enough, long enough even keeping it moving isn’t going to stop it from freezing.

Not really, as long as the pipes and pump are drained. You either have to keep the water moving, or drain the water out. If it gets cold enough, long enough even keeping it moving isn’t going to stop it from freezing.

What he said.
I plan to build a fake rock out of cement to cover my pump/filter and exposed pipes. It will have a door on the back for access. When done I can put a heat lamp in there for cold nights. Until than, I run the pump all night.

What he said.
I plan to build a fake rock out of cement to cover my pump/filter and exposed pipes. It will have a door on the back for access. When done I can put a heat lamp in there for cold nights. Until than, I run the pump all night.

Aren't these temps super rare where you're at?

When going to bed last night, found a wet spot on the edge of the bed. Dripping from a can light.
Metal 6/12 pitch roof. Vaulted ceiling with the insulation on the inside (cold roof).
My guess is from this Siberian bitch storm, we had such abnormally high winds that snow blew up under the ridge cap and accumulated snow and now it's above freezing for a few days and the accumulation is melting and running down the ceiling.
Gonna crawl in the attic and investigate today. Just hoping I don't have to go up and make repairs to the roof.

When going to bed last night, found a wet spot on the edge of the bed. Dripping from a can light.
Metal 6/12 pitch roof. Vaulted ceiling with the insulation on the inside (cold roof).
My guess is from this Siberian bitch storm, we had such abnormally high winds that snow blew up under the ridge cap and accumulated snow and now it's above freezing for a few days and the accumulation is melting and running down the ceiling.
Gonna crawl in the attic and investigate today. Just hoping I don't have to go up and make repairs to the roof.
Probably just condensation that froze to the underside of tin and then warmed up enough to drip, seen it many times.

Aren't these temps super rare where you're at?

We get 28-30 about a dozen nights a year. That won’t freeze anything except your best plants. Every three or four years we get in the teens. That is not really a problem if it is warm (55) in the day. (It’s not below freezing long enough) But if we get a day in the low 40s and a night in the teens, all hell breaks loose. I installed the pool and I really didn’t set it up right. It works fine, but if I ever had the pipes freeze/break, I would be in a world of shit. (Pipes come out of cement)

That really sucks. Hard to believe it blow enough snow up there. Do you have drifts up to your eves?

Probably just condensation that froze to the underside of tin and then warmed up enough to drip, seen it many times.
Nope. Was exactly what I suspected. Pile of snow 2-3" deep at the ridge of the vaulted ceiling, on top of the insulation.
Usually we are much drier and colder, and the snow that blows in must evaporate rather than melt and run down. No prior watermarks on the drywall that I could see, but definitely marks on top of the insulation.
There's an attic vent fan that's non functional I just found out. Going to throw a box fan up there for a few days. Snow all slid off the roof today, pretty damn warm.

We get 28-30 about a dozen nights a year. That won’t freeze anything except your best plants. Every three or four years we get in the teens. That is not really a problem if it is warm (55) in the day. (It’s not below freezing long enough) But if we get a day in the low 40s and a night in the teens, all hell breaks loose. I installed the pool and I really didn’t set it up right. It works fine, but if I ever had the pipes freeze/break, I would be in a world of shit. (Pipes come out of cement)

That really sucks. Hard to believe it blow enough snow up there. Do you have drifts up to your eves?
No, two story house. Existing snow on the roof plus 50 mph gusts blew it in under the ridge cap.

Nope. Was exactly what I suspected. Pile of snow 2-3" deep at the ridge of the vaulted ceiling, on top of the insulation.
Usually we are much drier and colder, and the snow that blows in must evaporate rather than melt and run down. No prior watermarks on the drywall that I could see, but definitely marks on top of the insulation.
There's an attic vent fan that's non functional I just found out. Going to throw a box fan up there for a few days. Snow all slid off the roof today, pretty damn warm.
I stuck some scotch-brite floor scrubber pads under the ridge cap on my steel roof, for exactly that wind-blown-snow reason

I stuck some scotch-brite floor scrubber pads under the ridge cap on my steel roof, for exactly that wind-blown-snow reason
Yea, I was reading his post and thought it would be perfect to block it all off with wads of porch screen. It'll still let the air do ventilation shit, but keep out the 40mph sideways frosty blast.

Ya that, or the corrugated vent screen made for it. I put that in my shop when I converted from a pole barn to finished shop, worked well.

I also found that the builder used tyveck or similar as roof underlayment, not tar paper or bituthane/rubber sealing material.
So I may be tearing the metal off and properly sealing anyway, if I do, I'll do a bigger ridge cap and snow/leaf blocking material.

Top Back Refresh