What's new

Shopping for a concealable Pistol

I guess springfield just released the hellcat pro. Not sure how they're fitting 15+1 into that tiny gun, but it's pretty sweet.

They added about 3/4" to the grip. The "Pro" is almost identical in size to the Glock 43x.

To my eye both of them provide minimal gain in concealability when compared to the G19, they just lack the cheap mags and massive holster selection you get with a 19.

They added about 3/4" to the grip. The "Pro" is almost identical in size to the Glock 43x.

To my eye both of them provide minimal gain in concealability when compared to the G19, they just lack the cheap mags and massive holster selection you get with a 19.

It's basically identical size to my 365xl. Which is smaller than the 43x and drastically smaller than the 19, width being a huge difference.

I get it, the 19 is what everything is compared to, but hold them side by side and you'd be pretty silly to say they're similar in size.

Reactions: Clb
It's basically identical size to my 365xl. Which is smaller than the 43x and drastically smaller than the 19, width being a huge difference.

I get it, the 19 is what everything is compared to, but hold them side by side and you'd be pretty silly to say they're similar in size.
The only major difference is the width, 3/4" or so in length which is meh.

365xl vs a 43x, for reference

The only major difference is the width, 3/4" or so in length which is meh.

365xl vs a 43x, for reference

I've shot them back to back, there is a decent difference. I actually liked the size of the 43x better, fit my hands better.

Then held the 43x and 19 back to back and it's a decent difference again. If width isn't a big deal then, sure go for the 19.

The only problem I have with the 19 is that they're now being almost matched, and now equally matched in capacity by much smaller guns. Shield plus in 13, 365xl with 12, hellcat 13 and now the pro with 15, 43x with shield arms mags at 15. Seems like they should be able to cram way more in the 19 :laughing:

The regular Hellcat is 13+1.

Yes, with an extended mag. This is about the same size with a flush mag.

I've shot them back to back, there is a decent difference. I actually liked the size of the 43x better, fit my hands better.

Then held the 43x and 19 back to back and it's a decent difference again. If width isn't a big deal then, sure go for the 19.

The only problem I have with the 19 is that they're now being almost matched, and now equally matched in capacity by much smaller guns. Shield plus in 13, 365xl with 12, hellcat 13 and now the pro with 15, 43x with shield arms mags at 15. Seems like they should be able to cram way more in the 19 :laughing:
You'd think by now someone would've figured out a bigger mag for the 19. I do figure though that if I can't get through a self defense situation with 15, it's probably just not my day.

I've carried a clunky ol XD Subcompact for 10+ years now and I'm most likely going to move away from it and buy a 19 soon because I've come to want a light and a red dot, which can be done but there's one option for a light that isn't exactly stellar, and the light bearing holster selection is even less impressive. I'd give up a round or two of capacity (I carry with the full size XD mags) but as a system the gun is more established and better supported. Regular double stack Glock is also about the most common handgun on the planet, so if you're the SHTF type, it's good to run what's common should you need to source mags/ammo.

You'd think by now someone would've figured out a bigger mag for the 19. I do figure though that if I can't get through a self defense situation with 15, it's probably just not my day.

Thats the problem with getting too hung up on specs vs real life. I'm sure most experienced people would be more lethal with 10 rounds than me with 15. It's just a factor to me, but in reality if you include the shield mags in the 43x I chose the lowest capacity of these at 12. But I shot it just that much better.

I've carried a clunky ol XD Subcompact for 10+ years now and I'm most likely going to move away from it and buy a 19 soon because I've come to want a light and a red dot, which can be done but there's one option for a light that isn't exactly stellar, and the light bearing holster selection is even less impressive. I'd give up a round or two of capacity (I carry with the full size XD mags) but as a system the gun is more established and better supported. Regular double stack Glock is also about the most common handgun on the planet, so if you're the SHTF type, it's good to run what's common should you need to source mags/ammo.

Check out shadow systems if you're thinking about upgrading it anyway. They're basically a factory upgraded glock. They even make more traditional grip angle versions :laughing:

Check out shadow systems if you're thinking about upgrading it anyway. They're basically a factory upgraded glock. They even make more traditional grip angle versions :laughing:
Well, you're a terrible influence! Should be there in a few days so it can go in background check jail.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 1.43.18 PM.png

Just took the wife's 365 to the range for the time Saturday. I'm impressed with how well it shot. Ran two 12 round magazines through it at 10 yards and both groups would fit in a silver dollar. Shit... now I'm probably gonna have to get one :lmao: Got back from the range and she asked how her Sig shot. I said " Yours???? " :lmao:

Reactions: Clb
Just took the wife's 365 to the range for the time Saturday. I'm impressed with how well it shot. Ran two 12 round magazines through it at 10 yards and both groups would fit in a silver dollar. Shit... now I'm probably gonna have to get one :lmao: Got back from the range and she asked how her Sig shot. I said " Yours???? " :lmao:

Sale is still going :flipoff2:

The holster sucks balls, but the gun and 3 mags are still well worth it.

Just repaying the favor :flipoff2:

The other thing you could do is get the Wilson combat grip for the 365xl and the x/xl mags. It's like a 1 min swap. But then she's out a gun.

Picked up my MR920 tonight, apparently the email about passing my background check has been in my spam folder for a week. It's replacing the XD as my main carry gun.

PXL_20220326_002929810.jpg

It's a 19 copy more or less, the backstraps are interchangeable to adjust the grip some. The stippling is nicer than anything I would've managed on my own, optic cut is more like what you'd have done to a normal glock instead of the MOS plate arrangement. It's extremely comfortable in the hand and small enough to CC while being big enough to get my whole hand on the gun.

So there's 3 back straps, one that feels like a Glock, one in the middle then this one that is more 1911 like. This one + the mag well is my favorite so far.

PXL_20220326_022656203.jpg

Finally got a chance to take the wife to the range. She shot the shield plus, shield ez 9 and 43x. She did well with the ez, then I asked if she wanted to try mine again and..... :smokin:

20220326_170303.jpg

Those were both the 15 rnd mags. She has not shot much at all, either.

Got all my go fast shit, hopefully I can get out and get this broken in and zeroed this weekend

PXL_20220401_052955996.jpg

This hoister is really what pulls it all together for concealment. Prints less under a t-shirt than my XD

PXL_20220401_053023176.jpg

Got all my go fast shit, hopefully I can get out and get this broken in and zeroed this weekend

PXL_20220401_052955996.jpg

This hoister is really what pulls it all together for concealment. Prints less under a t-shirt than my XD

PXL_20220401_053023176.jpg
You walk around with all that shit in your waste band?

Concealable, that word, I do not think it means what you think it means. LOL
My IWB holster only covers the trigger. I don‘t need an extra magazine because I know how to shoot. Not a chance in hell could I walk around all day with all that crap shoved in my pants.

My IWB holster only covers the trigger. I don‘t need an extra magazine because I know how to shoot. Not a chance in hell could I walk around all day with all that crap shoved in my pants.
Ditto, maybe that is for people that have a skin fold they can hang down over it.

You walk around with all that shit in your waste band?
Good holster + good belt and I only know it's there if I bend forward far enough to shove the light into my leg. No less comfortable than my XD was in a Crossbreed AIWB holster and that gun is much shorter.

Extra magazines are much more for a malfunction/mechanical failure of the magazine/unintentionally dropping the magazine than they are extra ammo, Lots of folks that shoot a lot better than me still carry multiple spares because shit happens. If I ever have to go to the second magazine because the first one is empty I should've showed up with more than a handgun.

I went to the gun store 3 weeks ago to buy a Sig 365 but came home with this. I have an Alien Gear AIWB coming tomorrow for it. The Sig mags are 7 round but the 8 round mag for a Kimber Micro 9 fits just fine.
you're gonna really like how that guy shoots
I'm not a great shot and I can keep them all on an 8.5x11 at 30 yards pretty quick.

I do hate the 7rd mag though. Always carry with the 6 and end up with an extra round in the chamber 'when I'm done shooting' with the 7...

ETA: oh right, the disconnector will eventually get plugged up with pocket lint and make the trigger go dead, pull the grip panel and clean it out every 6mo or so

Top Back Refresh