What's new

Shopping for a concealable Pistol

Wife got me a sig 365xl this week and so far I like it. Was originally looking at the glock 43 but this sig felt better.
My wife won a Sig P365 in a raffle. Came with 2 10 round mags. The grip felt really small. The guy at the store had us try a 12 rounder in it. Game changer for sure. Nice to have a place for your pinky finger and 2 more rounds lol. Feels great in the hand now.

Only thing I'm not sure of is the mag release being flush. I know why they did it. On smaller pistols people hit the mag release while shooting and that will fuck your day up if it happens at the wrong time.

I have no idea if CZ addressed the issue.

For me personally double stack all the way lol. I want the extra rounds. otherwise I'd carry my Colt Cobra. I'll take the 12 over 6 rounds.

Part of the draw of the glock 43x/48 is using 15+1 mags. The shield plus is 13+1 and the 365xl is 12+1.

Sorry for rambling this thread up :flipoff2:

Definitely liking the 365xl on paper. 12+1 is only bested by the shield plus, I do not like the stubby grip with the entended mag of the shield plus though, just seems like a pain to change mags with no benefit.

Sig sells 15+1 mags also, they stick out a ways, but would be good for back up?

It cost more than the glock, but the s15 mags eat up that cost difference....

I need to stfu and go shoot them. Might try to go tomorrow.

Definitely liking the 365xl on paper. 12+1 is only bested by the shield plus, I do not like the stubby grip with the entended mag of the shield plus though, just seems like a pain to change mags with no benefit.

20220218_111426.jpg

Shoots very nice. I don't think 12vs15 is enough to fret over. I actually like it more than my M&P.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone put this much discussion into what should be a basic carry pistol decision. They all work. Buy one. Carry it. If you don’t like it, buy another one. They don’t go bad like produce. They rarely decrease in value to nothing. They cost relatively little compared to the ammo you’ll put through it for training.

Shoots very nice. I don't think 12vs15 is enough to fret over. I actually like it more than my M&P.

It adds up, 3 more in the gun, plus as crazy as it sounds, the 15 rnd mag for the sig is about the same size as the 20 rnd s15 mag. So between the gun and 1 spare you get 28 vs 36. Pretty impressive either way for that size.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone put this much discussion into what should be a basic carry pistol decision. They all work. Buy one. Carry it. If you don’t like it, buy another one. They don’t go bad like produce. They rarely decrease in value to nothing. They cost relatively little compared to the ammo you’ll put through it for training.

Guess you've never read my posts on just about anything on here? :flipoff2:

I over think, I know it, sometimes it pays off and I get the best possible part/vehicle/gun for my needs. Sometimes I get spun out a little too much, OK, usually. :laughing:

But you're right. Looking at used ones, they are 95-110% of the cost of new. If I changed my mind, I doubt I'd loose much if any on selling and picking up a different one. Like I said, I just need to go shoot them. Specs don't mean shit if I hate shooting it.

Do you have a good range nearby with rentals? That's always a nice option to put rounds through a variety of guns.

Reactions: Clb
Do you have a good range nearby with rentals? That's always a nice option to put rounds through a variety of guns.

Yes, I stopped in yesterday and they had pretty much every gun mentioned here for rent. I was hoping to take the wife tomorrow, but she's been feeling shitty lately. I might go by myself though.

The only problem is they have a bunch of awesome full auto stuff like mp5s, aks, and I think even an m60 :grinpimp: so hopefully I don't get to distracted and blow all my pistol money on belts of 7.62 :lmao:

Yes, I stopped in yesterday and they had pretty much every gun mentioned here for rent. I was hoping to take the wife tomorrow, but she's been feeling shitty lately. I might go by myself though.

The only problem is they have a bunch of awesome full auto stuff like mp5s, aks, and I think even an m60 :grinpimp: so hopefully I don't get to distracted and blow all my pistol money on belts of 7.62 :lmao:

Unless you have a legit outdoor range with 100m+ reactive targets, beltfeds are just a lot of noise and flash. Definitely run a mag through the MP5 though. :grinpimp:

Unless you have a legit outdoor range with 100m+ reactive targets, beltfeds are just a lot of noise and flash. Definitely run a mag through the MP5 though. :grinpimp:

Ya, that's what I figured. Maybe if we did a guys trip or something. They do discounts for groups.

That was my thought, already buying 9mm. I've always liked mp5s, when I played airsoft, I had a couple mp5s and an mp7. Back then they were so accurate with them, they even had all the HK stamping on them. :laughing: never shot, or even held a real one though.

Ya, that's what I figured. Maybe if we did a guys trip or something. They do discounts for groups.

That was my thought, already buying 9mm. I've always liked mp5s, when I played airsoft, I had a couple mp5s and an mp7. Back then they were so accurate with them, they even had all the HK stamping on them. :laughing: never shot, or even held a real one though.

You definitely need to run the MP5 then. Keep it to short bursts and see how many you can keep on paper. It's the king of SMG's for a reason.

Beltfeds are fun as shit in the right situation (area targets at range), but I'd never pay much of my own money to feed one. But I guess I got that experience early in life on the taxpayer's dime...

Reactions: Clb
OK, some real info :flipoff2:

Went to the range (for the first time btw :homer:) guys were awesome and the experience was so much more lax than I thought, I'll be going more often.

Rentals are cheap or often free if you buy their ammo, had no idea.

Disclaimer, I'm no marksman, I've shot guns here and there growing up and as a young man, but slowly stopped going. I have not even shot that many pistols, so this is just a total novice point of view.

I rented the 365 (no xl) G43x and shield plus. I would have opted for the hell at over the shield, but they didn't have a rental.

I started with a mag through each. First thing I noticed is that the glock mag sucks dick to load, the 6th round is about as hard as the 13th or 12th round on the other 2, and gets harder from there. Not saying I wouldn't buy one because of it, but I just thought it was odd.

Shooting, the glock grip fits my hand the best, then shield plus, then 365 (I believe the XL is basically the same as this with the 12 rnd mag) despite that, I shot the 365 better, hands down. For reference, large gloves fit me snug, but my fingers are usually too long for them. An old man told me I'd better play the piano or become a mechanic :laughing:

1st time around @~10yrds.I put 1/10 in the diamond with g43x, 3/12 with the 365 and 0/13 with the shield. 2nd time, I brought it up closer to 5-6 yards and did somewhat quick follow up shots. 6/12 with the 365, 2/10 with the 43x and 3/13 with the shield.

Did not like the trigger on the glock, not only the pull, but it felt sharp and uncomfortable, the 365 wasn't great compared to my 1911 I also shot, but I was damn near just as accurate with the 365 as my 6" 1911.:laughing: I honestly didn't pay attention to the shield trigger as I shot it so bad the first time, I almost dismissed it off the batt.

I also brought the wifes s&w hammer less 38, and realized how terrible is is too shoot more than like 10'. I want to get her into something else also. I love the simplicity of the 38 with no hammer for shooting in a coat pocket, and dead rounds being a non issue but other than that, it's terrible.

So I went and ordered the 365xl deal I listed above. Not only did I shoot it best, but the gun is normally ~$600, plus ~$150 in extras. :smokin: I also ordered a hogue grip sleeve to try and bulk up the grip. For $13 it can't hurt. If I don't like it, there are full grip modules available since this is a common complaint with them. I figured if I shoot it that much better with it feeling slightly uncomfortable, it should only get better with practice.

Last edited:
Good choice! The 365XL is actually about 0.8" longer in the slide than the 365, although the grip length is essentially the same if you have 12 round extended mag in the 365. From a concealment standpoint, the extra length is not really noticeable, but the extra length & weight will likely help you shoot even better. That was definitely a great deal you posted. I thought I was doing good when I bought my XL w/ 2 12 round mags for $550 at the local Bass Pro Shops before Christmas. I have larger hands as well and did the same thing, purchasing the Hogue sleeve. However, I never actually tried it, and just ended up buying the new Wilson Combat grip. Very happy with it so far, but I would suggest shooting the gun as-is for a bit before you decide to try the Hogue or the Wilson. It does fill a little larger in my hands, but it's not like it was an earth-shattering change that made me an expert marksman :)

I don't know anything about the holster that comes with the Tac-Pack, but I can definitely say that I REALLY like my Vedder LightTuck holster. I'm fairly slim (5'11", 165) and Appendix Inner Waist Band carry and it is super comfortable, even sitting (wearing it as I'm typing). I bought it with the optional Claw to help it stay pressed against me a little more. Currently I have just been carrying it with a regular web belt, it seems to work fine and doesn't really sag significantly. May get a dedicated gun belt at some point, but what I have works for now.

The other thing you will likely find out with your new gun is that the mags (at least the 12's) are a real bitch to load full when new. I used a wood paint stick to cycle mine quite a few times to cycle the springs and loaded/unloaded a few times. They do seem to get a little easier after running a couple hundred rounds through the gun, not sure if the springs are breaking in a bit, or my hands are getting stronger, but it does improve over time.

Good choice! The 365XL is actually about 0.8" longer in the slide than the 365, although the grip length is essentially the same if you have 12 round extended mag in the 365. From a concealment standpoint, the extra length is not really noticeable, but the extra length & weight will likely help you shoot even better. That was definitely a great deal you posted. I thought I was doing good when I bought my XL w/ 2 12 round mags for $550 at the local Bass Pro Shops before Christmas. I have larger hands as well and did the same thing, purchasing the Hogue sleeve. However, I never actually tried it, and just ended up buying the new Wilson Combat grip. Very happy with it so far, but I would suggest shooting the gun as-is for a bit before you decide to try the Hogue or the Wilson. It does fill a little larger in my hands, but it's not like it was an earth-shattering change that made me an expert marksman :)

I saw that there were a few grip modules available, but for $13, I'll start with the hogue. I have thought about adding some thick tape on the back of the grip before I install the sleeve, but we'll see. I'm surprised they didn't make the XL version more........ XL with all the chatter about grip size.

Glad to hear from someone about the WC grip. Does it help with how your finger hits the trigger?

What about the hogue over the WC grip? :homer::laughing:

I don't know anything about the holster that comes with the Tac-Pack, but I can definitely say that I REALLY like my Vedder LightTuck holster. I'm fairly slim (5'11", 165) and Appendix Inner Waist Band carry and it is super comfortable, even sitting (wearing it as I'm typing). I bought it with the optional Claw to help it stay pressed against me a little more. Currently I have just been carrying it with a regular web belt, it seems to work fine and doesn't really sag significantly. May get a dedicated gun belt at some point, but what I have works for now.

I honestly have no experience with these type of holsters. The deal was good enough without it and it's at minimum a starting point.

The other thing you will likely find out with your new gun is that the mags (at least the 12's) are a real bitch to load full when new. I used a wood paint stick to cycle mine quite a few times to cycle the springs and loaded/unloaded a few times. They do seem to get a little easier after running a couple hundred rounds through the gun, not sure if the springs are breaking in a bit, or my hands are getting stronger, but it does improve over time.

Noted, I'll be sure to blast them with a tiny wood dildo :flipoff2:

Do you leave yours loaded all the time?

I'll admit, I didn't realize how little of 9mm I've shot/loaded. The 1911 45 mags are such a breeze compared to any of the ones I loaded today. :laughing:

You did not touch a hellcat? shame!

I held one just before, but no rental.

I don't like the idea of a stubby grip and extended mag for a pinky rest. Which is why I went for the XL. If they release a hellcat or cz p10m "XL" I'll take another look.

Have you shot the hellcat and 365?

I'm not married to the fuckin thing. For the price, I can probably off it in a few months for as much or more pretty easily if I find something I like better.

I saw that there were a few grip modules available, but for $13, I'll start with the hogue. I have thought about adding some thick tape on the back of the grip before I install the sleeve, but we'll see. I'm surprised they didn't make the XL version more........ XL with all the chatter about grip size.

Glad to hear from someone about the WC grip. Does it help with how your finger hits the trigger?

What about the hogue over the WC grip? :homer::laughing:

I honestly have no experience with these type of holsters. The deal was good enough without it and it's at minimum a starting point.

Noted, I'll be sure to blast them with a tiny wood dildo :flipoff2:

Do you leave yours loaded all the time?

I'll admit, I didn't realize how little of 9mm I've shot/loaded. The 1911 45 mags are such a breeze compared to any of the ones I loaded today. :laughing:
Fully agree with your logic on trying the sleeve first. I can tell you that there's no way you will be able to put some extra tape on under the Hogue sleeve or put it on the WC module. It fits super tight.

I leave mine loaded all the time. Although people worry about this all the time, there's really no risk about the springs taking a "set". Until I got this gun, my only real experience with a semi-auto pistol was accurized 1911's built by my dad for bullseye target shooting, so I can fully relate to the huge differences in trigger and mags :)

The other thing to realize is that it will never be the same as a full-sized gun, both from the perspective of how it fits your hand and how it's used. It's a small concealable pistol for short range defense. Your finger won't fit on the trigger like a 1911.

Best thing you can do is just spend time on the range to get used to it. Here's mine withe the WC module:

Attachments

• 20220207_185650.jpg
    20220207_185650.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Fully agree with your logic on trying the sleeve first. I can tell you that there's no way you will be able to put some extra tape on under the Hogue sleeve or put it on the WC module. It fits super tight.
Anything is possible with some lube:flipoff2:

The install I saw said to use the packaging like a shoe horn, so there is obviously some room for stretch.

I leave mine loaded all the time. Although people worry about this all the time, there's really no risk about the springs taking a "set". Until I got this gun, my only real experience with a semi-auto pistol was accurized 1911's built by my dad for bullseye target shooting, so I can fully relate to the huge differences in trigger and mags :)

Mine is just a rock island :laughing: the mags have been loaded for years and worked perfectly today so, I think it's fine. The newer pistols seem to be pretty aggressive on the mag springs. The 320 is shot wouldn't even take the 17th round, and that was a range rental.

The other thing to realize is that it will never be the same as a full-sized gun, both from the perspective of how it fits your hand and how it's used. It's a small concealable pistol for short range defense. Your finger won't fit on the trigger like a 1911.

Best thing you can do is just spend time on the range to get used to it. Here's mine withe the WC module:

Yes, I get that. The only reason I brought up the 1911 is because I shot it at the same time and honestly was almost equally accurate with the 365xl. I'm really not that great of a shot, I don't think and have never been able to really say if a gun was accurate or not. I was expecting to come out just as all over the place as I went in, but was surprised at the night and day difference. Shooting 6 guns back to back was a huge learning experience.

Anything is possible with some lube:flipoff2:

The install I saw said to use the packaging

Yes, I get that. The only reason I brought up the 1911 is because I shot it at the same time and honestly was almost equally accurate with the 365xl. I'm really not that great of a shot, I don't think and have never been able to really say if a gun was accurate or not. I was expecting to come out just as all over the place as I went in, but was surprised at the night and day difference. Shooting 6 guns back to back was a huge learning experience.
Yep, I did similar when I was looking, definitely was best way to experience the gun-to-gun differences.

I hear you on the accuracy part. I have a slight tremor, so I have never been a great shot. My dad on the other hand was a champion bullseye shooter and spent 30+ years building/shooting bullseye guns so I always felt inadequate seeing how he and his customers were shooting tiny groups one-handed at 50 yards...

Compared to the average Joe, I'm probably not really a bad shot, but compared to my dad it's like the difference between a 15 yo learning to drive for the first time and somebody who drives Formula One.

I remember taking my dad to a bowling pin match at a local range. One of the guys I worked with knew of my dad and wanted to meet him. Dad brought along one of his High Standard 22's to shoot. He watched a number of the other shooters holding their race guns with two hands and spraying rounds to clear the table. When it was his turn, he asked where on the pin was the best place to hit it. When the buzzer range, he assumed a standard one-handed grip and cleared the table with 5 shots in a time that was as fast as anyone else. Afterwards, he sort of had a "what's the big deal" look about the whole thing.

Yep, I did similar when I was looking, definitely was best way to experience the gun-to-gun differences.

I hear you on the accuracy part. I have a slight tremor, so I have never been a great shot. My dad on the other hand was a champion bullseye shooter and spent 30+ years building/shooting bullseye guns so I always felt inadequate seeing how he and his customers were shooting tiny groups one-handed at 50 yards...

Compared to the average Joe, I'm probably not really a bad shot, but compared to my dad it's like the difference between a 15 yo learning to drive for the first time and somebody who drives Formula One.

I remember taking my dad to a bowling pin match at a local range. One of the guys I worked with knew of my dad and wanted to meet him. Dad brought along one of his High Standard 22's to shoot. He watched a number of the other shooters holding their race guns with two hands and spraying rounds to clear the table. When it was his turn, he asked where on the pin was the best place to hit it. When the buzzer range, he assumed a standard one-handed grip and cleared the table with 5 shots in a time that was as fast as anyone else. Afterwards, he sort of had a "what's the big deal" look about the whole thing.

Ya, i can see just having the "why bother" attitude shooting :laughing:

The buddy I've done most of my shooting with is the same way. I remember one time bombing dirt roads and a few small quail cross the road, he hops out with a browning buckmark and decapitates a running quail at like 20 yds :laughing:

I've always thought I wasn't good, but now that I think of it, any time I've went shooting with any other person, I've been on part or slightly better than them. 🤷

Ya, i can see just having the "why bother" attitude shooting :laughing:

The buddy I've done most of my shooting with is the same way. I remember one time bombing dirt roads and a few small quail cross the road, he hops out with a browning buckmark and decapitates a running quail at like 20 yds :laughing:

I've always thought I wasn't good, but now that I think of it, any time I've went shooting with any other person, I've been on part or slightly better than them. 🤷
I guarantee you that you’re better than you think. Women are even better to teach. No preconceived notions.
Get your gun sorted and see if there is somewhere local to you and shoot some kind of steel match. You won’t be the worst one there.

I guarantee you that you’re better than you think. Women are even better to teach. No preconceived notions.
Get your gun sorted and see if there is somewhere local to you and shoot some kind of steel match. You won’t be the worst one there.
In general, my confidence in my abilities is like a ping-pong match. I know for certain there are many many guys better than me at shooting, there is natural ability and then guys who just put in the time. I think I'm middle of the road on the first and just haven't done much of the 2nd. I can hit center mass at 10 yards with my tiny 9mm, which is the first step right? :laughing:

A low key comp sounds fun. Would be funny to beat anyone with my $500 rock island or my cheap ruger ar and $15 pawn shop red dot :lmao: similar style to how I wheel, I enjoy having the underdog rig that nobody thinks will make it, then often blow past better built rigs. :laughing:

I believe in the woman comment, at least some women :laughing: my wife can pick up stuff fast. She probably would have gotten a college scholarship for softball had she not gotten hit by a van crossing the street at 15. Before any of you assholes assume, no, she's not a big softball dyke :flipoff2:

One of her Co workers/friends is an instructor. I would like for her to go do what I did at the range and pick a gun the she likes and get comfortable with it.

Also, went and shot about 150 rounds through the sig. I was shooting a little right and decided to pull the hogue off. It seemed to improve a little. I don't think I like the sleeve. They seemed to increase the width more than the length, which is the opposite of what I wanted. I also may need to adjust the sights because my grouping was pretty tight when I was right.

This shits all new to me :homer:

Man the p365 is really compelling with the wilson grip module......

In general, my confidence in my abilities is like a ping-pong match. I know for certain there are many many guys better than me at shooting, there is natural ability and then guys who just put in the time. I think I'm middle of the road on the first and just haven't done much of the 2nd. I can hit center mass at 10 yards with my tiny 9mm, which is the first step right? :laughing:

A low key comp sounds fun. Would be funny to beat anyone with my $500 rock island or my cheap ruger ar and $15 pawn shop red dot :lmao: similar style to how I wheel, I enjoy having the underdog rig that nobody thinks will make it, then often blow past better built rigs. :laughing:

I believe in the woman comment, at least some women :laughing: my wife can pick up stuff fast. She probably would have gotten a college scholarship for softball had she not gotten hit by a van crossing the street at 15. Before any of you assholes assume, no, she's not a big softball dyke :flipoff2:

One of her Co workers/friends is an instructor. I would like for her to go do what I did at the range and pick a gun the she likes and get comfortable with it.

Also, went and shot about 150 rounds through the sig. I was shooting a little right and decided to pull the hogue off. It seemed to improve a little. I don't think I like the sleeve. They seemed to increase the width more than the length, which is the opposite of what I wanted. I also may need to adjust the sights because my grouping was pretty tight when I was right.

This shits all new to me :homer:
Local competitions here are $10 plus 75 rounds of ammo. Some of our stages don’t even require holsters.

Top Back Refresh