What's new

Shopping for a concealable Pistol

I'm gonna get flamed for this but I carry 9MM Taurus PT111 G2. The gun is stupid reliable. It eats anything I feed it and always goes bang. The G2C and G3C are the later versions of gun. They are good and they are cheap. Even Taurus haters admit they are decent. Go read and watch reviews.

12 round mag and feels good in the hand.

Also, at $250 you give don't a shit about losing it.
Yep Taurus has really stepped up their game. You can’t beat the G2/G3 for the price. I picked up a G2 single stack for a cheap truck gun. I liked it so much I bought the G3C. Half the price of the P365 and goes boom all the same. When I saw the new GX4 micro 9 I had to snatch that up as well that I carry in my pocket sometimes. I already had a TX22 to plink. Probably the best semi .22 on the market. The common theme for them all has been cheap, reliable = good.

I used to hate on Taurus like everyone else and now am a little fan boy over here. Now all the haters are just icing on the cake.

Yep Taurus has really stepped up their game. You can’t beat the G2/G3 for the price. I picked up a G2 single stack for a cheap truck gun. I liked it so much I bought the G3C. Half the price of the P365 and goes boom all the same. When I saw the new GX4 micro 9 I had to snatch that up as well that I carry in my pocket sometimes. I already had a TX22 to plink. Probably the best semi .22 on the market. The common theme for them all has been cheap, reliable = good.

I used to hate on Taurus like everyone else and now am a little fan boy over here. Now all the haters are just icing on the cake.

I have no room to hate, I was a Kel-Tec fan for a few years... :lmao:

Taurus seems to make reliable, simple guns. Can't argue with that.

So for someone who's not at the range every week, can you really go wrong with any of these? I like rugers just because they seem to be reliable without trying to charge ridiculous prices, but I'm not brand loyal. I want a compact or maybe subcompact 9mm and they all seem good? Hard to not buy the taurus for the price :laughing:

So for someone who's not at the range every week, can you really go wrong with any of these? I like rugers just because they seem to be reliable without trying to charge ridiculous prices, but I'm not brand loyal. I want a compact or maybe subcompact 9mm and they all seem good? Hard to not buy the taurus for the price :laughing:

Honestly, get whatever you can afford from a known reputable brand that feels good in your hand and you can shoot well in a good caliber (9mm or .38 at minimum). A daily carry gun that costs more than $600 or so isn't going to do the job much better than a $400-500 carry gun.

Not to mention that a shooter with 500 more rounds ($200 these days) through his $400 gun will be more proficient and prepared compared to a shooter with minimal rounds through his $600 gun. These are basic tools, not some blinged out show piece. Get what works for you. Not everybody needs a Snap-On ratchet, Husky works for most people.

It's nuts that prices are at this level, as $300 used to be a good entry level price point for a carry gun a few years ago...

Honestly, get whatever you can afford from a known reputable brand that feels good in your hand and you can shoot well in a good caliber (9mm or .38 at minimum). A daily carry gun that costs more than $600 or so isn't going to do the job much better than a $400-500 carry gun.

Not to mention that a shooter with 500 more rounds ($200 these days) through his $400 gun will be more proficient and prepared compared to a shooter with minimal rounds through his $600 gun. These are basic tools, not some blinged out show piece. Get what works for you. Not everybody needs a Snap-On ratchet, Husky works for most people.

It's nuts that prices are at this level, as $300 used to be a good entry level price point for a carry gun a few years ago...

Not that I'm rich, but price isn't a huge factor (at least the difference from $400-600) if it's the better product. I like simple and reliable. The glock is appealing for that aspect. But if the taurus really is reliable at $250, I wouldn't mind picking one up. Also possibly looking at something for the wife. She has a nice s&w airlight or whatever 38, but the wide wheel (compared to a single 9mm) can be a pain to carry.

Actually what might happen is she gets a compact 9 and I take the 38. If she's willing to put in the range time to get comfortable with the auto.

Not that I'm rich, but price isn't a huge factor (at least the difference from $400-600) if it's the better product. I like simple and reliable. The glock is appealing for that aspect. But if the taurus really is reliable at $250, I wouldn't mind picking one up. Also possibly looking at something for the wife. She has a nice s&w airlight or whatever 38, but the wide wheel (compared to a single 9mm) can be a pain to carry.

Actually what might happen is she gets a compact 9 and I take the 38. If she's willing to put in the range time to get comfortable with the auto.

My daily carry is a 642 no-lock J-Frame. It carries really nicely for me in an older PHLSTER City Special holster. That's probably the most proven carry gun ever made.

My daily carry is a 642 no-lock J-Frame. It carries really nicely for me in an older PHLSTER City Special holster. That's probably the most proven carry gun ever made.

Thats exactly what hers is. I liked the ability to shoot through a jacket pocket, purse, ect. And to not have a dud round be an issue. Trigger pull sucks, but you aren't fucking snipping with it :laughing:

Thats exactly what hers is. I liked the ability to shoot through a jacket pocket, purse, ect. And to not have a dud round be an issue. Trigger pull sucks, but you aren't fucking snipping with it :laughing:

Pick up an Apex spring kit and clean up the sliding surfaces on the recoil slide, and the sides of the hammer/trigger. Doesn't take much. Mine feels better now than an LCR trigger (I would have bought an LCR but the ergonomics don't work with my long fingers).

Only one I'd avoid is the S&W MP subcompact 9. Just feels like junk. I feel like I was overcharged at $215 several years ago.

Key is whatever you get go actually put 400-500 rounds through it. And let it's wear itself in some. I think it's true for the autos but not really needed in an external hammer wheel gun

Go put hands on a Taurus G3C. It feels great in the hand. Stippling is not too rough. The 12 round mag means the grip is big enough to hang on to. And yeah... $250 :laughing:. It shoots as accurate as anything else I own. Like said earlier check out some videos and reviews.

Go put hands on a Taurus G3C. It feels great in the hand. Stippling is not too rough. The 12 round mag means the grip is big enough to hang on to. And yeah... $250 :laughing:. It shoots as accurate as anything else I own. Like said earlier check out some videos and reviews.

Swung into my local gun shop, they have pretty much every gun mentioned on this page besides the vp9 and kimber.

Finger fucked them all, the only thing I noticed was the g3c seemed overly rough, it had grip tape like shit on the grip and just didn't feel comfortable. Not that I have soft bitch hands, it just seemed like it would be easy to grab a little off when in a hurry if that makes sense.

All the others basically felt the same :laughing:

I liked the glock 43x for some reason, but the m&p shield was impressive with the 13 rnd capacity.

The guy also pulled out the glock 19 and it was hard to want to go that route. 1/2" longer barrel, and obviously slightly wider.

So in short, I went in trying to narrow my options and just expanded them :homer::laughing:

Another vote for the HK VP9SK. Fantastic gun, holds well in the hand, ambidextrous, 10-13rd mags, shoots anything and everything I put through it. Various brands of ammo, fmj, jhp, etc. Even ran some 25 year old shit through it. My BIL's Sig wouldn't fire em, took his "dud" rounds and ran them through the HK without a hiccup.

On the cheaper side, I also love my Canik TP9SF. Also ambidextrous, 10-15rd mags, and if you buy the 3d printed sleeves you can run 18rd mags. Also hasn't had any issues with ammo.

Swung into my local gun shop, they have pretty much every gun mentioned on this page besides the vp9 and kimber.

Finger fucked them all, the only thing I noticed was the g3c seemed overly rough, it had grip tape like shit on the grip and just didn't feel comfortable. Not that I have soft bitch hands, it just seemed like it would be easy to grab a little off when in a hurry if that makes sense.

I liked the glock 43x for some reason, but the m&p shield was impressive with the 13 rnd capacity.

The guy also pulled out the glock 19 and it was hard to want to go that route. 1/2" longer barrel, and obviously slightly wider.

So in short, I went in trying to narrow my options and just expanded them :homer::laughing:
Huh, I like the feel of the grip. Good grip even if your hands are wet. The fucker just stays in your hand when you shoot it lol.

Another vote for the HK VP9SK. Fantastic gun, holds well in the hand, ambidextrous, 10-13rd mags, shoots anything and everything I put through it. Various brands of ammo, fmj, jhp, etc. Even ran some 25 year old shit through it. My BIL's Sig wouldn't fire em, took his "dud" rounds and ran them through the HK without a hiccup.

On the cheaper side, I also love my Canik TP9SF. Also ambidextrous, 10-15rd mags, and if you buy the 3d printed sleeves you can run 18rd mags. Also hasn't had any issues with ammo.
Do all HK's have that fucked up mag release? I shot an HK 40 that a friend has. Emptied the mag and went to eject it and no joy :laughing:. I looked at him asked WTF? He showed me that bullshit at the base of the trigger guard. Felt nice and shot nice but would never one be cause the Germans said fuck you and your muscle memory. :lmao:

Do all HK's have that fucked up mag release? I shot an HK 40 that a friend has. Emptied the mag and went to eject it and no joy :laughing:. I looked at him asked WTF? He showed me that bullshit at the base of the trigger guard. Felt nice and shot nice but would never one be cause the Germans said fuck you and your muscle memory. :lmao:
My BIL said the same thing, couple shots and put it back on the bench. Hates it. When you carry it every day you learn. I just wish my thumb reached it better, end up using my finger instead half the time. Gotta work on that. It looks like there is a push button option for both the sk and fullsize models

Huh, I like the feel of the grip. Good grip even if your hands are wet. The fucker just stays in your hand when you shoot it lol.

It was just my initial impression after handling all the others. Didn't feel as comfortable. I'm sure if I had just got one, I'd be fine.

I'm kinda liking the g48 with the shield 15+1 mags. You can even get 20+5 extensions :laughing: maybe good for a back up mag?

I've just never liked the 2x4 like grip of the normal glocks like the 19, but the 43x felt really good. 48 is just a 43x with a slightly longer barrel fwiw.

It was just my initial impression after handling all the others. Didn't feel as comfortable. I'm sure if I had just got one, I'd be fine.

I'm kinda liking the g48 with the shield 15+1 mags. You can even get 20+5 extensions :laughing: maybe good for a back up mag?

I've just never liked the 2x4 like grip of the normal glocks like the 19, but the 43x felt really good. 48 is just a 43x with a slightly longer barrel fwiw.
Aftermarket mags for a carry gun is a bad idea. I own zero aftermarket mags for the 7 Glocks I own.

Thats what people say, yet the people actually using them have a near zero failure rate.

I'm not surprised you're a glock fag :flipoff2:
You go ahead and trust that Chink made ETS mag with plastic feed lips to save your family’s life when the time comes. I’ll stick with my OE Glock mags with heat treated metal feed lips. I have 28 handguns. Glocks are just one of them. :flipoff2:

It was a toss up for me between the 43X and the P365XL. Even after shooting them, it was close, but for me the 43X was a little snappier than the 365XL, and my daughter has a P320 that I really like, so I kept it in the SIG family. I did think the grip could be just a little bigger to fit my hands and had originally bought one of the Hogue sleeves, but then Wilson Combat came out with their version of the grip module which is slightly wider. I just installed that this week and REALLY like that.

Hellcat. I've found leather IWB holsters to be more comfortable to me.

IMG_20220212_173427979.jpg

Anyone mess with the CZ stuff? Specifically the p10m?

It's a stubby grip gun like the 43, has a 7+1 capacity. Can't find an extended mag, and I'm not sure I want an extended mag vs just a longer grip like the g43x/48.

The p10c is a double stack 15+1, I may check that out too.

My gun snob buddy said another even more gun snob nut turned him in the CZ and he's been super happy with them.

Anyone mess with the CZ stuff? Specifically the p10m?

It's a stubby grip gun like the 43, has a 7+1 capacity. Can't find an extended mag, and I'm not sure I want an extended mag vs just a longer grip like the g43x/48.

The p10c is a double stack 15+1, I may check that out too.

My gun snob buddy said another even more gun snob nut turned him in the CZ and he's been super happy with them.
When my son turned 21 I told him to pick out a pistol for his birthday. He researched and chose the CZ P10C. It feels great and shoots great. BUT it has an issue with a pin walking out. looked into it ands it pretty common on that one. it pisses him off. only experience I have with a CZ.

When my son turned 21 I told him to pick out a pistol for his birthday. He researched and chose the CZ P10C. It feels great and shoots great. BUT it has an issue with a pin walking out. looked into it ands it pretty common on that one. it pisses him off. only experience I have with a CZ.

Reliability is my #1 concern. I'm not babing my carry pistol, it may end up on me while riding my dirt bike, ect.

Is the issue something they have addressed?

I just watched a video of it and the guy was not very impressed. If the made a 10-13+1 version, with a longer grip, I'd look at it. I really do not want a stubby grip, even with an extended magazine. Mag changes just look awkward.

I think what I really need to look at is if I really want a single stack, or if maybe I actually want a double stack.

Last edited:
Wife got me a sig 365xl this week and so far I like it. Was originally looking at the glock 43 but this sig felt better.

Reliability is my #1 concern. I'm not babing my carry pistol, it may end up on me while riding my dirt bike, ect.

Is the issue something they have addressed?

I just watched a video of it and the guy was not very impressed. If the made a 10-13+1 version, with a longer grip, I'd look at it. I really do not want a stubby grip, even with an extended magazine. Mag changes just look awkward.

I think what I really need to look at is if I really want a single stack, or if maybe I actually want a double stack.
I have no idea if CZ addressed the issue.

For me personally double stack all the way lol. I want the extra rounds. otherwise I'd carry my Colt Cobra. I'll take the 12 over 6 rounds.

Top Back Refresh