What's new

Shopping for a concealable Pistol

Trashman

Trainwreck
Member Number
Ran some rounds through a Sig 365, and I believe Glock 43. I wasnt considering the Glock, but it had some fancy laser sight my wife wantes to try out.

Also looked at a used Shield Performance Center 9 that looks nice, but it was at a different gun store without a range/option to shoot.

I believe the Sig was around $650 new, and the Shield they wanted $399 used.

The Sig would be the upper end of my desired price point.

Any other guns to consider? Ill probably stay with 9mm as 38/357 is seemingly hard to find out here, 9 seems available.

Been carrying an XD9 for years now. I like it. It gets concealed with khaki pants and a tucked in Polo shirt.

Dad grabbed an 365XL. I liked the feel of that.

There are a shitload of small striker fired guns these days, and they're mostly all good options.

I like a compact over a sub-compact for its better handling. Think Glock 19 over G43.

Been carrying an XD9 for years now. I like it. It gets concealed with khaki pants and a tucked in Polo shirt.

Dad grabbed an 365XL. I liked the feel of that.
They had one there to rent. For $12, I should go run some ammo through one.

They had one there to rent. For $12, I should go run some ammo through one.
The XD9? Yea, I like it. But, I'm a larger guy so the shorter mag I only have two fingers that fit on it, plus the one on the trigger. Pinky just gets curled up under it. So, its small. But conceals nicely.

365s are great but you might check out the 320 . They’ll all conceal just remember that . Plenty of guys carrying full size 1911s every day . I carry what is comfortable to me and I’m confident with that leaves any tiny pistols out of the equation .

There are a shitload of small striker fired guns these days, and they're mostly all good options.
I tend to overthink things, and am not super knowledgable about guns as a whole. It took me a bit to settle on my first .357 which I love (GP100).

Really not looking to pay ~$500+ for some pile of crap that looks nice. :laughing:

Carrying my GP is nice, but not a great everyday personally.

The XD9? Yea, I like it. But, I'm a larger guy so the shorter mag I only have two fingers that fit on it, plus the one on the trigger. Pinky just gets curled up under it. So, its small. But conceals nicely.
thats right, I had the same issue (they put several out to look at) Thats a reason I didnt try it.

365s are great but you might check out the 320 . They’ll all conceal just remember that . Plenty of guys carrying full size 1911s every day . I carry what is comfortable to me and I’m confident with that leaves any tiny pistols out of the equation .
havent considered that idea.

The 365 was a decent shooter for what it was.

My wife had our Smith and Wesson .357 in her Jeep (just got it recently)

man, what a change from shooting the compacts:laughing:

Glock 43X>43
seems like the consensus on Glocks are you love em, or hate em.

Whats the benefit to Glock? I know nothing about them.

My wife trying the goofy looking site.
Screenshot_20220116-065329_Gallery.jpg

I ran 10 rounds through it. Not sure if this was a Glock 43. My memory has a hard time with names and numbers, so I dont recall what model this was.

I didnt give it an honest try due to the site but it did fine as a gun. Maybe even slightly more comfortable that the Sig.

Consensus on glocks : they’re ultra reliable and have a solid fan base but I find them terribly uncomfortable in my hands . The position that my hands have on them feels unnatural so never could get myself to like them .

This.

and this: I carry my Glock because, if for any reason, it were to be confiscated I would care the least about losing that gun. I consider it just a tool, a claw hammer that is as reliable as gravity. That counts for a lot to me, much more so than aesthetics or perceived comfort. I can get my complete hand on the grip however brick-like it feels. Subcompacts are way TOO small as are most compacts.

Last edited:
Glock 43, 43X conceal very easy.

I have XD45 but don't carry that as often as my Glock 42.

While I agree, I will make a couple points.

A “tiny“ pistol on you is better than a Desert Eagle in your truck.

I own a Stainless Officer‘s edition 1911. I love that gun. I can shoot very accurate with it, but I found that I was often carrying my wife’s small 38/357 because it was easier. Now I leave the 1911 at home and carry a sub compact 9. It’s pretty much always on me.

They don’t “all conceal”. When I’m out in public, I like to identify people that carry. In Florida weather, it’s hard to completely conceal.

S&W J frame is always the answer IMO.

The smaller you get in a semi-auto the greater the chances of malfunctions due to imperfect grip on the gun. Ever roll around on the floor in a retention drill? Or consider the need to stuff a pistol into a body to pull the trigger? It's too easy to either push a semi-auto out of battery or foul the slide reset, much less limp wrist the grip or have the grip a bit off in your hand and stovepipe the slide.

I personally don't like striker-fired guns for concealed carry due to the inherent issues of an effective single-action trigger (AKA "Glock Leg"). And most have mushy triggers anyway. I sold my striker guns and haven't missed them at all.

I carry appendix and recommended it to everyone. If you have a gut in the way, now is is good a time as any to lose the gut. Retaining control of a pistol and concealing a pistol is so much easier when it's at 12:30 instead of 4:00 where you can't always see or feel your shirt flipped over the grip, or a bad print. Concealed means concealed, for my safety more than anything. If appendix is "uncomfortable" get a new holster (PHLSTER is awesome). I don't want my holster to "disappear", I want to feel where it is and know it's there as a constant reminder to keep my mouth shut and know that I have to hold myself to a higher standard.

I don't carry less than 9mm. 380 doesn't reliably expand any hollowpoints, and ball pokes holes but that reduces your chances of a CNS hit. 9mm subcompacts flat out suck to shoot and everyone needs to put lots of rounds through their carry guns and run drills to remain proficient.

If I had to CC a subcompact semi-auto it would be something like a Sig P290RS or CZ Rami P.

Edit: Well that was a bit of a rant. :flipoff2:

Last edited:
I'll throw out there the Glock 48. I just picked one up with my Xmas bonus, single stack Glock 19, well G43 width. There's a company making 15 round mags to fit the 48 and they function well. Another option to consider.

Was carrying the Shield 380 EZ that was bought for the wife, didn't hate the gun, just hate 380

seems like the consensus on Glocks are you love em, or hate em.

Whats the benefit to Glock? I know nothing about them.

My wife trying the goofy looking site.
Screenshot_20220116-065329_Gallery.jpg

I ran 10 rounds through it. Not sure if this was a Glock 43. My memory has a hard time with names and numbers, so I dont recall what model this was.

I didnt give it an honest try due to the site but it did fine as a gun. Maybe even slightly more comfortable that the Sig.
That looks to big to be the g43.
I have a g43, a shield .40, a sig 365, an LCR .38, and a Jframe .38. The sig has the best trigger. The g43 is the easiest to conceal. The shield has a wicked kick but it is a .40. The two revolvers are just dead reliable but heavy triggers. The Jframe is just heavy with the steel frame.
I can shoot all of them well but none of them really fit my oversized hands worth a shit with the regular mags. I have 10rd extended mags for the shield and g43 which make them both a better fit.

Oh I forgot about the jennings .380. Heavy, lumpy, and Id probably throw it at someone before relying on it to function.

Last edited:
Look at the LC9 or EC9 by ruger. I was pretty impressed. Fit, recoil, size, accuracy.

I expected more from the SW shield but was disappointed.

Consensus on glocks : they’re ultra reliable and have a solid fan base but I find them terribly uncomfortable in my hands . The position that my hands have on them feels unnatural so never could get myself to like them .
I agree.

yet somehow, every time i've shot a glock I'm more accurate with it than whatever I pick up next :laughing: I'm just not comfortable with them, but they do work.

Shameless plug for Walther. I carry a...whatever their single stack 9mm is and my wife uses their 380 soft slide. can't think of the models right now. Either way, those were the most comfortable things for use when we went shopping, and the Walther warranty is beyond kick ass. For me at least, they've been stellar to work with

Ran some rounds through a Sig 365, and I believe Glock 43. I wasnt considering the Glock, but it had some fancy laser sight my wife wantes to try out.

Also looked at a used Shield Performance Center 9 that looks nice, but it was at a different gun store without a range/option to shoot.

I believe the Sig was around $650 new, and the Shield they wanted $399 used.

The Sig would be the upper end of my desired price point.

Any other guns to consider? Ill probably stay with 9mm as 38/357 is seemingly hard to find out here, 9 seems available.
I picked up a P365 for $400 on armslist. I like it better than my G27/26, 642 and Ruger LCP. You can add a safety for $50. It is tiny, shoots great and holds 10 rounds.

If you want one of the 3 I mentioned, I am selling them.

Top Back Refresh