What's new

Self defense shooting "to stop the threat".

Why would I have to lie?
I don’t shoot to wound.

If I discharge my weapon in a gunfight, my intent is to kill.

But if for some reason, all I could do is get a shot off to their ankle, and they’ve dropped their weapon and they’re rolling around holding their ankle, I will probably reevaluate it and stop shooting because the threat has been neutralized for the time. If they should pick that gun back up , I’m shooting again.
I wouldn't know how many other guns, grenades, or ieds they person may have on them.

I hope I never have to shoot someone, but if I do they will not be alive any longer unless some miracle happens.

A lot of people won’t have as fast of a reaction times when they’re under stress.
You might be able to shoot. Most, nope.

It’s like if somebody with a gun is within arms reach, and yoir hands are empty.

I’m gonna push the gun to the side or fold it back upon them, because their reaction time isn’t there.

A human cannot process the information fast enough to get their finger to pull the trigger before you move.

A little trick to decrease the reaction time is to ask them a stupid question just before you move like when is your mom‘s birthday?
Then strike, the question divides their attention slowing down their reaction.

or with a little bit more training, you could push it up and fold it back upon themselves. so it’s pointing at them and then it convenient little jerk. You can usually get the gun to discharge and shoot them with their own gun.
Simple lizard brain needs to remember:

Close, attack, attack, attack

That's it in a fight, everything else is just slow. Nobody will ask what rounds you are using

I would shoot to kill, but I would never tell the courts that

Of course this, but the OPs question was not about the courts. (At least I don’t think it was)

The question when is the threat stopped? To me, if someone try’s to kill me, they are a threat the rest of my life. Let’s face it, if you wound him and he goes to jail for 10 years, he could get out with a grudge. That’s without considering his friends/relatives and gang members. You can’t shoot them legally at this time, but you should make sure he never try’s again.

Ps, there’s a reason why cops shoot eleventy-five bullets into suspects.

I learned all of my tactics, techniques and procedures from Richard Marcinko novels in the '90s. That's all I got.

I’m gonna push the gun to the side or fold it back upon them, because their reaction time isn’t there.

A human cannot process the information fast enough to get their finger to pull the trigger before you move.
I really, really hope you find yourself in a situation where you can try this out. You watch too many movies.

Take it a step further, just because you pull your gun out doesn't mean you have to use it. Plenty of 1080p surveillance footage out there of knife wielding would be thieves fucking off real quick when the guy behind the counter of the liquor/convinced store they intended to rob pulls out a gun.
I pulled a gun out once, many years ago. I was in a verbal argument with some drunk white trash fuck when he grabbed a beer bottle upside down and started advancing towards me with it

I wasn't exactly in fear for my life, he fucked right off when I drew in him.

I've thought about that situation many times over the years and I have never come up with a better way of handling it. I know we are to never draw a weapon unless we are going to fire it but this guy didn't deserve to die and I didn't want to be hit in the face with a beer bottle. So I still do not know what I could have done better

I pulled a gun out once, many years ago. I was in a verbal argument with some drunk white trash fuck when he grabbed a beer bottle upside down and started advancing towards me with it

I've thought about that situation many times over the years and I have never come up with a better way of handling it. I know we are to never draw a weapon unless we are going to fire it but this guy didn't deserve to die and I didn't want to be hit in the face with a beer bottle. So I still do not know what I could have done better
That's exactly how to handle it. If the fucker brings the bottle back like he's going to swing, he's getting holes. That's his choice at that point.

If he hit you in the back of the head and you attempt to fight him off while bleeding and manage to get the gun out, it should be popping as quick as possible. Perfectly reasonable

Different scenario, different goals

"I want to talk to my lawyer"
My wife carries, I don't.

We have discussed it over 100 times, if she ever has to shoot someone. It is no statements, none, nada, attorney. Even if she has to get cuffed and booked, no statement. I hope it never happens but if it does I hope she follows what we discussed.

My wife carries, I don't.

We have discussed it over 100 times, if she ever has to shoot someone. It is no statements, none, nada, attorney. Even if she has to get cuffed and booked, no statement. I hope it never happens but if it does I hope she follows what we discussed.

100%

And if someone has any kind of doubt, read this :

I really, really hope you find yourself in a situation where you can try this out. You watch too many movies.
No movies , real life

we were taught and practiced this maneuver in a defensive tactics class.

And I get to practice with skeptical people like yourself.
And I’ve had skeptical friends like you who
Have had the same attitude
I’ll hand them a cap gun, and tell him to try and shoot me.

Slapping it to the side resultis in a couple of them pulling the trigger when the gun is 4 feet off to the side

No movies , real life

Slapping it to the side resultis in a couple of them pulling the trigger when the gun is 4 feet off to the side
So they waste a couple expensive hollow point spear tipped bullets, what about the second and 4th shots?

No movies , real life

That shit might work on people with trigger discipline but your average gangbanger is going to have his finger on the trigger and you slapping it will cause it to fire.

I think you have watched too many movies

He wrote novels? I read Rogue Warrior, and later heard that some of the content may have not been entirely true.
"May not have been entirely true"? Why, if Dirty Dick was alive today, he'd smash your Adam's apple into your spine with a single jab for saying that!

That shit might work on people with trigger discipline but your average gangbanger is going to have his finger on the trigger and you slapping it will cause it to fire.

I think you have watched too many movies
Lol

They’ll probably be holding the gun sideways to.

What do you think you’re gonna do attempt draw your weapon, and become a statistic.
Are you gonna go to stand there pissing your pants looking down the barrel?
What are you gonna do smart guy?

You can choose to train and learn how to defend yourself or not.

Lol

They’ll probably be holding the gun sideways to.

What do you think you’re gonna do draw your weapon, or will you just stand there?
and become a statistic.

You can choose to train and learn how to defend yourself or not.
Oh, I will be moving his weapon sideways as I have also trained on that, I am just not as delusional as you to be confident it is going to work.

It is a better to do something than nothing move at best

Maybe you should work on it until you are confident because if you’re not confident, you’re go to hesitate

Sure you could pull it & wait to see what happens. maybe use a laser and you could shine it across their eyes.
Maybe they do run.

Give this one a try have your buddy stand about 20 feet from you with a stick to represent a knife and you hold out a squirt gun.
Then have him lunge at you with the stick
and see who gets poked or wet first.
If you’re around that 20 foot marker or closer I’m not giving you the opportunity to see if you’re gonna run or not.

A knife is a deadly weapon and maybe they shouldn’t have brought it to the gunfight

Because a guy with a knife standing where?
is a threat? How close are you going to let them get or how far away are they where they would no longer pose a threat of great bodily harm or death

You are seriously misunderstanding the "21 foot rule". That is meant to show how fast someone can close the distance with a holstered weapon. Not with weapon in your hand. If you cant shoot some one from 21 feet away before they get to you when youre already holding a gun in your hand, youre an idiot who is too dumb to have gun in the first place.

If you shoot someone 21 feet away from you and they havent moved toward you, you are going to jail. From that distance, just stnading there with a knife, they have neither ability, or opportunity. They may have intent but until they move they arent a threat.

Last edited:
Those who don't use ball ammo, do you also practice with those more expensive rounds?

I only practice shooting bottles out of guys hands...

Those who don't use ball ammo, do you also practice with those more expensive rounds?

I shot both. they both go to the same place on the target, where I’m aiming.

Once those hollow points gets to be about three years old, I’ll rotate in some fresh stuff and get rid of the old stuff at the range
Gravel pit, etc

Sounds like you handled it just fine. You read the situation and you reacted, and you where smart enough to see that the drunk bastard recognized there would be consequences if he kept coming at you. If the guy smashed the bottle and ran at you, then there may have been a different outcome.

I know we are to never draw a weapon unless we are going to fire it

This is not ideal advice to follow. You should train yourself to draw if the potentially deadly threat is there and to only fire when absolutely the last resort. If you only train to pull the trigger every time you draw your gun, there is a high probability you will pull the trigger when it was not called for. You need to vary your training/practice between firing ASAP after the draw and not firing giving yourself that small amount of time to assess.

Drawing your gun is supposed to be an escalation to match the level of threat but it could stop the threat by its mere presence.

Even California PC 417 allows for brandishing in self defense, so understand the laws of the state you are in.

Top Back Refresh