What's new

Self defense shooting "to stop the threat".

Yota Up

Dull man
Member Number
What does it mean to you when you hear the words "to stop the threat"? At what point does that take place?

Obviously most of us are aware of the fact that when you defend your life, you are not shooting to kill. You are not trying to kill anyone because nobody ever wants to kill anyone.
You are trying to stop the threat. But at what point are you certain the person is no longer a threat? What is that fine line, for you?

In this video, we see a situation where a security guard shoots a hostile party that brandished a weapon. The person takes a few rounds and falls to the ground. The shooting stops, at least for a moment. And then, a few seconds later the party on the ground was able to put aimed and effective fire back at the security guard. Seeing this video might surprise some people, most likely it would surprise most people that aren't familiar with guns in real life because they think one bullet makes bad guys stop instantly like magic.

My opinion on when the threat is stopped:
1) The suspect no longer has access to the weapon and their movements cease or are reduced to the point where I'd be able to react before they regain access to their weapon.
2) The suspect still has the weapon but is no longer moving at all, whether due to giving up the fight or going unconscious or having been disabled by the damage they've sustained.

Your answers might be different and I'm interested in comparing notes and hearing your reasoning for why you think what you do.

Last edited:
Great video, thank you for posting it. I've read his work and appreciate Massad Ayoob, and I remember the case he references and we even had a thread on it here or the old place.

However, unfortunately his video doesn't go into definition of what a "stopped threat" looks like or what factors one would use to come to the conclusion that the threat is currently stopped. But I'll never regret reading or hearing what that guy has to say, so thanks again.

As far as the link I posted, people have said that site is heavy with popups, etc. but I see zero of that because I'm on PC with all the blockers so it works perfect for me. Use adblock and script denial extensions and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: Clb
My input on the subject is not p.c.
That and I live in kommiefornia.

Wilson combat channel is where you can find
critical Mass (massad ayoob)
I'm not going to go into any of the retail shit, but if it's your family don't stop till you think your family is 100%...
Fuck the judge...
:usa:

Last edited:
My input on the subject is not p.c.
That and I live in kommiefornia.

Wilson combat channel is where you can find
critical Mass (yoob)
I'm not going to go into any of the retail shit, but if it's your family don't stop till you think your family is 100%...
Fuck the judge...
:usa:
Think of it like this, if you were in the shoes of the guy attacking you and you felt, as the attacker, that you were going to kill a motherfucker, how long would you be a threat for?

I'm not very unique. That means if I treat somebody threatening me about like me, then that determines reasonable threat. Not stopping until can't move

Each situation is its own. When the threat doesn't move, or is sufficiently incapacitated to no longer be what I perceive to be a threat. Tainted canukistan view due to our minimum force required laws bs.

In your video, when the threat doesn't move would be the correct answer. What the security guy can see, vs what we are able to see from the camera are two different things. Camera sees the gun is out of hand by the third volley of shots, security guy can't see that hand due to being blocked by the door. All he knows is he's got some unhinged fucker who's immediate reaction to being blocked entry was going for his gun. That to me is a him or me, as long as he's talking and squirming he can still return fire.

I always took “stop the threat” to mean you shoot until the threat is dead, without saying it.
If the threat is running away how do you know that he isn’t going to get more ammo/weapons/accomplices? That is how my CC instructor posed the question. He also stated the police have no obligation to protect you in any situation. And he was a police officer.

What does it mean to you when you hear the words "to stop the threat"? At what point does that take place?

When I'm out of ammo? On my person that is, it'll take awhile for me to run out of all my ammo.

What does stop the threat mean to you?

Because in reality, there is only one way one can be sure the threat is stopped.

honestly, i think a lot of this shit is caused by people using shitty ball ammo. good rounds do a shit ton of damage.
IMG_20240415_091514964~2.jpg

Good enough?:smokin:

There is no such thing as shooting to wound or a warning shot. The use of a firearm is the use of deadly force.

I shoot to stop the threat .
Translation to kill.
& Shoot until they are on the ground incapacitated.

Justified shooting, when you believe you or another are in imminent threat of death or great bodily harm.

I didn’t watch the video as I do not base my actions on what happened in another situation or based on what someone else did

Last edited:
It depends.

If you are not a cop, you must stop shooting exactly when the threat is perceived to not be a threat by a jury. Kyle Rittenhouse style. Faggot still had his gun in his limp wristed hand and was mobile but probably no longer a threat. Proved by jury.

If you are a cop, you can shoot someone 176 times because you still had ammo. Shooting into a bloody puddle is ok. You must stop when you can't find more ammunition in the trunk of your car.

Clear?

You're asking a question that could have 100's of possible answers. In other words, it just depends on the exact situation. If they are dead, they are not a threat any longer but they may not be alone so there may still be a threat. Again, it all depends on the situation.

17+1
And a extra 15 if I need it

This scenario above is why I don’t believe /carry a danger or small, micro compact

Top Back Refresh