What's new

Self defense shooting "to stop the threat".

On top of that, semiautos ALWAYS jam in your dreams, or the slide falls off, or the magazine falls out...

I carry a striker gun with only a trigger safety and one in the chamber. Safeties are just one more thing to fiddle around with in a high stress situation.

And it even has a nifty little feature so if you press it up against someone, it’ll wount go out battery.

If people can’t trust themselves, they probably shouldn’t carry. If it makes them feel big and toughen, invincible probably shouldn’t carry.

I am an old man, my running away days are along behind me. And I can’t go toe to toe with the tough guy anymore.

Ps in this day and age of VPNs, and being able to clear your cash, clear your cookies, clear all of your website data, you shouldn’t be leaving much for them to find.
If you’re really concerned about such things.

Back when 1911's didn't have Alpha's:usa: one carried Cocked n Locked in a hammer strap rig.
You guys with modern A1's should be aware of that...
You chickenshit mfers:flipoff2:
Carry on. ( better to feel safe than not carry)...
My springer loaded is cocked n locked in the bedside hide.
Sweeping the safety happens automatically...
That said I carry plastic fantastic so I at worst sweep the slide release :laughing:

When is the threat stopped?

Mentally I can't get comfortable with a cocked semi. I wanted a heavy trigger pull, I wanted something dead bang reliable, and I wanted something I could rely on if someone was basically already on top of me. I trained my CCW strategy to cover my escape, and basically have a gun that will fire when it's pressed into someone's ribs. I tried a G42 but it kept stovepiping (limp wrist). I don't want to every worry about a safety, not having a round chambered, etc. I want old fashioned point and shoot.

But now I don't carry anymore. Situational awareness is more effective than any gun, and continues to be the basket in which I place my eggs. Carrying gave me a false sense of strength, and caused me to be comfortable in situations I might otherwise avoid. Everyone's different, but now I think the wiser course of action is avoiding trouble than being ready to confront it.
IMG_20231205_133136477.jpg

The future is now old man
:flipoff2:

Mentally I can't get comfortable with a cocked semi. I wanted a heavy trigger pull, I wanted something dead bang reliable, and I wanted something I could rely on if someone was basically already on top of me. I trained my CCW strategy to cover my escape, and basically have a gun that will fire when it's pressed into someone's ribs. I tried a G42 but it kept stovepiping (limp wrist). I don't want to every worry about a safety, not having a round chambered, etc. I want old fashioned point and shoot.

But now I don't carry anymore. Situational awareness is more effective than any gun, and continues to be the basket in which I place my eggs. Carrying gave me a false sense of strength, and caused me to be comfortable in situations I might otherwise avoid. Everyone's different, but now I think the wiser course of action is avoiding trouble than being ready to confront it.

But the bad guys don't give a shit about your situational awareness. You are in a store away from the door and an active shooter walks in or an armed robber. Your situational awareness of the aisle you are in does you no good.

Similarly, you are stopped in traffic at a light and someone walks off the sidewalk up to your window and tries to carjack or rob you.

It's good to be aware, condition yellow, when in public, but it can't protect you from everything.

Kind of back on topic

Why do you practice with ball ammo but carry HP?
Ball ammo is cheaper so I can practice and increase my proficiency to minimize misses, and HP are less likely to over penetrate. Both of which greatly reduce the risk to bystanders and nearby property.

Why do you shoot at the head?
Because some people that could be threatening you with a firearm are not always standing in the open and only present their head and arm/hand with the firearm. You should practice for such cases.

Why do you carry a firearm? Are you expecting trouble?
Just watch the news. All parts of the country have robberies, assaults, carjackings, and more. Police have no legal requirement to be present at my side all the time, so I want to be able to defend myself.

Wow well said.

Everyone should memorize that, perfect. Thank you.

i carry an imitation Glock, because i don't want to give the cops a good gun if i shoot some one. i love my 1911s, but they are worth keeping.
My 1911 was my “bump in the night” gun until a friend told me I’d probably lose it if I had to use it. It went in the safe and I got a M&P 9mm to take it’s place, and a Mossberg 590.

On top of that, semiautos ALWAYS jam in your dreams, or the slide falls off, or the magazine falls out...

Magazines do fall out. Ive seen it happen to some of the best trained, 10-8 mother fuckers out there. I dont care how good you are, shit happens.

My 1911 was my “bump in the night” gun until a friend told me I’d probably lose it if I had to use it. It went in the safe and I got a M&P 9mm to take it’s place, and a Mossberg 590.
Both combined worth less than ole slab sides:lmao:
Good idea...
Hmmm

But the bad guys don't give a shit about your situational awareness. You are in a store away from the door and an active shooter walks in or an armed robber. Your situational awareness of the aisle you are in does you no good.
That's tornado shelter in New England level paranoia. Not frequent enough of an occurrence that I anyone should give a fuck. If it happens making do with what you got is probably fine.
Similarly, you are stopped in traffic at a light and someone walks off the sidewalk up to your window and tries to carjack or rob you.
The different between a six shooter and glawk fawty isn't gonna matter if someone gets the jump on you.

Wanna poker hand serial numbers:flipoff2::lmao:
Mines also a non Alpha ( if I see correctly)?

Excellent reasons for going with the revolver.
It's interesting to hear about how you felt when you carried. For me, it was the opposite. Before I carried, I had a decent temper/ego and would be ready to step and brawl if it came up. As soon as I got my CCW, I felt it was my duty at that moment on to be a pussy in any situation because I can no longer fight in case the gun would fall out and get in the wrong hands during a scuffle. Not to mention should anything rise to a shoot I wouldn't want to be painted as a willing combatant or someone that egged it on or escalated it.

Avoiding trouble vs. ready to confront. These days I say do both if it can work for you.

It’s the parachute/life jacket story: better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. However, if I think “I better be sure I’m strapped” before going out to any particular place, I question why I’m going there to begin with. Being armed is only an equalizer at best. Being armed and trained is an advantage. Remember the good guy with a gun at the grocery store that drew on the bad guy with a gun, unaware as bad girlfriend with a gun sent him to room temperature from his flank? Don’t play cops and robbers.

Top Back Refresh