What's new

School me on 9" ratios

Because others are price gouging. Id trust ECGS spool over another potential no name spool 10 to 1.
ECGS website, who is price gouging? Why does it cost more for 30 spline? More price gouging?
Screenshot 2024-02-05 152715.png

Exactly.
Which is why 14 bolt is the winner in my book, again and again.

$500 40sp spool.
$500 R&P + install kit
$100 forged yoke

In a $1000ish dropout case with a $1000ish housing,

I'd say this would be a lovely option.

It pains me to feed the bouncer ego, but you're right :flipoff2:

Just saw a post by Trevor at WFO talking to Kevin Yoder. He's running a drop out 14b rear and has 4 seasons on the same gears including KOH. :smokin:

I know he's not top top level like Gomez, Currie, ect. But that's a heavy rig with big power and heavy tires.

The majority are not $145 if you look around. IDK why that one is so cheap compared to others
I don't either...they are all basically the same thing. No reason for them to cost more frankly.

Heat treated chromoly isn't simple. First off that would be a big chunk of Chromo ($$$$), then the roughing in machining, then the heat treat, then the finish machine work to get everything straight again.

There is way more than an hour of work in it.
Simple compared to a locker with actual moving parts....

ECGS website, who is price gouging? Why does it cost more for 30 spline? More price gouging?

I'm sure it has to do with volume...which would explain why less common spools and splines are more expensive.

And the ECGS branded Ford 9" 35 spline spool is $139. Funny too...the 40 spline Ford 9" by Yukon at ECGS is $296.

I'm sure a TON of that price difference is made in the USA vs. India/China/Indonesia, etc. In most cases, I'd buy USA made stuff over foreign....just b/c we do so little manufacturing anymore in the US that I try to support it where I can. I have no doubts the GW spool is a higher quality spool....though I doubt I'd ever break an Indian/Chinese one either.

Who out there is running deeper that the 5.43 (so close to 5.38)?

The main problem with the 10" gearsets is they are still riding on a 9" diff.
Not really, 35 spline and up is different. Bearing size goes way up.

What the ID of the ring gear?
Pretty sure I agree with your point. It's a technicality that the diff is 'different' b/c it has larger bearing journals to accommodate larger shafts. Where it counts, in the OD of the carrier, it's the same size (at least AFAIK)...and that's the limitation in strength.

Pretty sure I agree with your point. It's a technicality that the diff is 'different' b/c it has larger bearing journals to accommodate larger shafts. Where it counts, in the OD of the carrier, it's the same size (at least AFAIK)...and that's the limitation in strength.

:beer::beer::beer:

That does beg the question: How much larger can you make the carrier OD and not too drastically weaken the larger 10-10.5" ring gear by increasing its ID to accommodate the larger carrier.

That does beg the question: How much larger can you make the carrier OD and not too drastically weaken the larger 10-10.5" ring gear by increasing its ID to accommodate the larger carrier.
I imagine you could make it as big as a 14 bolt carrier.

The problem is the architecture. If you are going to grow the 9", then grow the whole thing, not just the ring gear OD.

Grow the pinion, move the pinion to RG mesh away from the centerline so you can increase the ID of the ring gear and stuff in a larger diff.

I love all that they've done to the 10"/9" stuff, but by the time they are done making the 9" stronger, they could've gone ahead and do a complete redesign. They are making new 3rds, new differentials and new ring and pinions anyway, so why not make things a little bigger?

The problem is the architecture. If you are going to grow the 9", then grow the whole thing, not just the ring gear OD.

Grow the pinion, move the pinion to RG mesh away from the centerline so you can increase the ID of the ring gear and stuff in a larger diff.

I love all that they've done to the 10"/9" stuff, but by the time they are done making the 9" stronger, they could've gone ahead and do a complete redesign. They are making new 3rds, new differentials and new ring and pinions anyway, so why not make things a little bigger?
Because the poors won’t buy them when they can do a SD60 and a 14B and nickel & dime themselves to death instead?

100% in agreement.

Torq two point oh?
Kinda.
Except he delivered bad parts and took 4 months to correct the mistake.

Mistake got corrected, but it took a shit ton of follow up, tons of "oh it's shipping today", etc etc.

In the end I got the product but that's not an experience I'd renew. Especially for 4k$ per axle. That's more than a loaded GW HP10 and a TG housing.

That’s cool 😎! Never heard of them, anybody know anything about them?

I've been following them on FB for a few years, they are always posting up some cool machine pron.

I've never dealt with them, but I remember Bebop griping about them in the past.

Is there Anything 9" left on a tube works 3rd? Do they still use the same mounting pattern even?

What the ID of the ring gear?
Same, but that isn't an issue in my opinion. Going 1" larger on the BC isn't going to cut down on flex that much. A load bolt pretty much eliminates any difference in strength anyway. If you're running a spool, carrier size isn't an issue either.

Same, but that isn't an issue in my opinion. Going 1" larger on the BC isn't going to cut down on flex that much. A load bolt pretty much eliminates any difference in strength anyway. If you're running a spool, carrier size isn't an issue either.

Increasing the ID will allow a bigger carrier, which will allow bigger internal gearsets.

Obviously not an issue for those running spools.

Top Back Refresh