What's new
  • TGIF'nF!! Did you hear about our new Group Buy Program? We're kicking the program off with Baja Designs!

Russia / Ukraine thread

So... The Russian Central Bank is buying up to $10 Billion in local stock to try to stabilize and offset the damage of sanctions...

What if this entire shit show was staged in order to create the crisis that would elicit a Western response and crash the Russian economy on purpose, giving the bank (and Putin of course) all the pretext required to buy privately held business and bring them back into the fold of State Owned?

Well... Russian friends say its the human factor. Many Russians are breaking their stuff "by accident" or just leaving and going home.

There are only two scenarios:

• Full-on WWIII
  • Oligarchs put out a press release a la: "Unfortunately our great leader has suffered a fatal heart attack from long term sickness."
Magically during wwiii Russian troops are going to try and not die?

Santa in an A10 is more likely if were talking about figures of imagination saving the day. I'm pretty sure Ukraine had a handful of Su25s but without total air superiority good luck making any use of them,
Can a nato country sell Ukraine a few warthogs in a timely manner ?

Take care of that convoy , if it’s real, in one pass .

I have a Military history periodical that covered urban fighting. ... Don't think Putin or his strategists read this document...

Is there a read there on that Muzzie action in the Philippines ? Where they took a city and actually held off the army for some time ? The regular Phil army untrained and ill equipped for urban carnage war against a determined, nee suicidal enemy.

Well yeah...

If I owned a liquor store and someone told me to pull my delicious potato vodka from the shelf I'd smash one over my head and cut a bitch. Or maybe their head, vodka bottles are sturdy.

The rest of us drink rom the plastic bottle 2-liter ones. . . :beer:

Again, and again, and again, maybe MERGE the concept of NO. The Roosky have the air. No warthogs, no nothing to challenge them. If it flys it dies. The first thing Roosky hit were the airfields and airports.

Again, without air superiority and no threat of ground based air defense A10s are all but useless. This isn't the sand box and poorly equipped militias.
useless huh?
So you're up on the air force battle tactics?

useless huh?
So you're up on the air force battle tactics?
What fucking part of dominated airspace do you not understand, doesn't matter how much "Merica" the plane packs it will be put on the ground.

Drone's would take care of the column quite nicely. But yeah they need some help in the air. Although I'm not sure how a A10 would get spotted on first of second straff pass but probably not last longer then that.

My knowledge is limited to the plans I read in 2000, and 2001, but yes, at that time I was. I can't imagine shit's changed a ton since then.
Really? Please do enlighten us all how this theatre of war pertains to anything in the early 2000s?

Really? Please do enlighten us all how this theatre of war pertains to anything in the early 2000s?
Because the tactics to establishing air superiority are massively different now?
Keep being a condescending fuck, it's fun.
What's your knowledge or background on the subject that makes you so certain in your claims?

Because the tactics to establishing air superiority are massively different now?
Keep being a condescending fuck, it's fun.
What's your knowledge or background on the subject that makes you so certain in your claims?
Maybe he read some other plans. :flipoff2:

Well Russia doesn't have a base for planes either or radar as they destroyed the ones in country. So they would have to launch and detect from their own side. Not sure how much AA or ground systems they have in place in a traveling armor column but would guess none to minimal.

So could you launch an A10 strike and reach target and return before Russia could get a counter attack off the ground and intercept? If UKR had bases maybe but from a friendly country it doesn't seem likely.

Back in the 80s I remember reading an article about adding machine guns to ultralights for ground strafing. The idea was you could gain your altitude then shut the engine off and glide to the troop concentration strafe, fire up the engine and get out of Dodge. Advantage would be short take off and landing, disadvantage they would be slow and have no way to protect themselves.
Understand I know nothing about aviation so don't shot the messanger :flipoff2:

Back in the 80s I remember reading an article about adding machine guns to ultralights for ground strafing. The idea was you could gain your altitude then shut the engine off and glide to the troop concentration strafe, fire up the engine and get out of Dodge. Advantage would be short take off and landing, disadvantage they would be slow and have no way to protect themselves.
Understand I know nothing about aviation so don't shot the messanger :flipoff2:

I thought I remember something about this being tried in Panama maybe? Didn't worked very well.

That would have already been done if it were possible.
UKr doesn't have A10's?

Fantasy war posting. Uh, fuck, forget it.:flipoff2: Maybe one of you can comment on the actual deployment and execution of drone strikes and the need for satellites or airborne surveillance. The airborne surveillance requires air superiority. I dont think the Ukies have either. :idea: But I'll pass and listen, read very closely so that I can get educated. :laughing:

The S400 is active in theater, but obviously they would have to keep setting up and taking down to keep up with a column. The Pantsir is the more direct threat to ground attack aircraft trying to assault a moving column. Those are in play as well, as evidenced by the images of one stuck in the mud in Ukraine.

It seems reports have said all Ukr aircraft are confined to western Ukr with only drones able to exploit some unsupported Rus columns.

So... The Russian Central Bank is buying up to $10 Billion in local stock to try to stabilize and offset the damage of sanctions...

What if this entire shit show was staged in order to create the crisis that would elicit a Western response and crash the Russian economy on purpose, giving the bank (and Putin of course) all the pretext required to buy privately held business and bring them back into the fold of State Owned?
That’s a interesting concept

What fucking part of dominated airspace do you not understand, doesn't matter how much "Merica" the plane packs it will be put on the ground.
Do you really think with these incompetent idiots if you lined up a run and came in hot and low you could not take out most of the line and be out of there before they put their cigarettes down and figured WTF was going on? I think calling it dominated airspace is a little rich if reports of many of the russian troops not even being enlisted men is true. Sure in a real war. But I'm not thinking this is what is going on here.

Top Back Refresh