What's new

Russia / Ukraine thread

British/(maybe American too?) volunteers fighting at the Hostomel airport against Russia.

Question... The KC's that are circling... Would it make sense for them to be on station to refuel NATO aircraft either before or after a strike sortie?

Also, what is YANK02 doing there in Lithuania?

EDIT: Nevermind on YANK. Signals Intel plane.
They have been up evrey night. The global hawk was also over the black sea last night. My guess is they are fueling Ukrainian airplanes or we are doing something under the table there, besides tanker support.

SpryFewAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

Maybe the tankers aren’t really tankers, and instead contain some form of intercepting weapon designed to knock out any icbm that Russia starts sending over. I know that’s a little too 007, but would be a fun thought…

They have been up evrey night. The global hawk was also over the black sea last night. My guess is they are fueling Ukrainian airplanes or we are doing something under the table there, besides tanker support.

Global Hawk is up tonight too. Canadian Air Force CP-140 went up not too long ago too.

US RC-135 took off and is headed North East, just over Athens now.

Wonder how many of these are scheduled flights... If any.

There are two tankers and 4 intelligence planes airborne and in the area or apparently on their way... Though I can't find the Canadian plane again.

Last edited:
I am not a proponent of the US troops going over there other than Spec Ops because this is what they do. Especially the Green Berets ODA. This scenario is what they are trained and built for. We could bolster Ukraine with weapons that are actually effective. Javelins have been a godsend to them and proved their stupid "sun covers" on their tanks weren't going to work to prevent the top down attack angle. Ukraine needs more. They need air defense. They basically have none. I say we bolster NATO and Ukraine with working technological weapons. Maybe send a couple bombers across Ukraine to conduct crippling strikes on Russia. Declare a no fly zone, keep the war of the ground. There are plenty of things we could do and I don't want to hear about legalities because Russia is not legally invading Ukraine. If our country said we would back up Ukraine, we damn well better be backing them up. I am a realist, not a politician or war lawyer. If our word means nothing then our dollar means nothing.

Now on the other hand, Putin is invading as nicely as possible. He could have razed that country to the ground over night. He is keeping the infrastructure intact. Hampering but not destroying communications. I would say he has been invading Ukraine as politely as possible. He is a smart fucking man and realizes he does not need to pull a terrorist state into the homeland. US war doctrine is to crush the military war machine and then deplete the military aged male population. That is how you conquer a country.

And...I just read that Putin threatened Sweden and Finland with military force if they join NATO. Guessing he doesn't recall what happened the last time Russia tried to go through Finland. He might want to read up on the White Death and how Finland let the wolves go to work on freezing Russian military.

So I have mentioned before I have a former teacher who was from the ukraine. Her family is still on the ground and she has been providing hourly updates. And while honestly the odds are not in the ukraines favor they are putting up a hell of a fight. Putin is failing to accomplish the blitzkrieg he planned on. Other than cherynoble he has mangaged to take and hold very little. The russian navy has flattened every structure on zeminsky island and yet as of last night had been unable to take it. In her home town last night ukr and russian tanks were fighting it out in the streets and the russians were doing poorly. Will they still win? Probably. To paraphrase hitler there are always more russians. But they are being made to pay dearly.

over the past few days, this really seems to display how poorly the russians have performed. i'm honestly surprised.

the model is solid though, so i imagine it won't be the last we see of it.

I wonder if Russia is really is a lot worse shape than everyone thinks. Militarily, financially etc. Putin's temper tantrum warning against interference almost comes across as a bluff. It kind of looks like he knows he can only sustain this for a short time. Of course the problem with this theory is he has a big hammer if he chooses to use it. Won't he end up being shunned on the world stage or will everyone kiss his butt?

I am thinking Putin is sick or has gone off the rails completely. He isn’t getting a ton of support at home. Russian coup on the way?

link? just curious
I have read and watched so much stuff this evening that I doubt I can find anything. Plus, none of it is being overtly said. More a general feeling. No Russians want to be bombed by nato which will happen if he keeps rolling into Poland.

I have read and watched so much stuff this evening that I doubt I can find anything. Plus, none of it is being overtly said. More a general feeling. No Russians want to be bombed by nato which will happen if he keeps rolling into Poland.
and that would be the question the, are they comfortable with taking ukraine then? they could easily pick off another country in 10 pr 20 years

I wonder if Russia is really is a lot worse shape than everyone thinks. Militarily, financially etc. Putin's temper tantrum warning against interference almost comes across as a bluff. It kind of looks like he knows he can only sustain this for a short time. Of course the problem with this theory is he has a big hammer if he chooses to use it. Won't he end up being shunned on the world stage or will everyone kiss his butt?
My take, he's a master at meddling, disappearing, popping a few pop shots, background noise, rinse repeat, with a bit of brains, ego and bravado. Like a Xi + Sadam + a Russian Reagan?

Enough show of force that countries know he's serious, enough countries doing nothing to allow confidence to grow.

But this is a big move. At the right time for him. Watch China, they're the snake you don't see. Superficially, the payoff is resources and tangible show of force, but there's something deeper in the works. He pulls off Ukraine, especially with the west doing nothing, expect something interesting afterwards.

He's not maligned against Islam but against isis. I could see collaboration with certain ME country's, old ussr, for geopolitical and economic reasons. That area is ripe for the picking with constant vacuums in place. Also a strong play for China to collaborate.

My opinion. But I'm far from an expert, I didn't stay in a holiday inn, and I have no tinfoil.

Dickweed, Ukraine could have bought their own weapons but instead went the route of corruption. Fuck them.
We don't need to print money we don't have to give them weapons.

Kiev is encircled now it's just a matter of time.
Russia still has 2/3 of its troops in reserve.

Damn, monday morning quarterbacking the shit out of the memorandum. What about Clinton, Bush, Obama, or Biden? Nah, all Trumps(for doing nothing) fault for Russias of aggression.

The US government says something obscure, then does something else. Damn... I thought they only did that to their own citizens.
Maybe, but I never said they don't? Where did I say that. And where did I say it's all Trump's fault? Hard to have a discussion when certain folks keep assuming something I never said.

If the US says it's gonna do something then it should do it. Otherwise why would anyone trust us? Putin has a point on his distrust of the US
Should we have promised to stick up for Ukraine? Probably not, should have let them do their thing. But we did and that's not really a mundane detail.
After that did any of the current or previous admin say, oh hey on that deal we probably won't be able to do that, you should figure out other options? It's not like this has been a non-issue for the past years.
What kind of message does this come across for Taiwan or Korea? Or just say screw it they can have those places as well. Don't see that ending well for us either.

Last edited:
If our country said we would back up Ukraine, we damn well better be backing them up. I am a realist, not a politician or war lawyer. If our word means nothing then our dollar means nothing.
The same word we gave Putin as part of NATO? We already broke that. Sending weapons to Ukraine could implicate us further.

Wait until some pissed Ukrainians pop off a dirty bomb in the middle of Moscow made from remnants of Chernobyl.

US war doctrine is to crush the military war machine and then deplete the military aged male population. That is how you conquer a country.

That is completely incorrect. We have never done that. Ever. Deplete the military aged male population. Where the fuck did you dream that up from ? Was that your mind or some web grab ?

That is completely incorrect. We have never done that. Ever. Deplete the military aged male population. Where the fuck did you dream that up from ? Was that your mind or some web grab ?

One way to cut down on the worlds population. Conflicts would be much shorter if that was the case.

Global Hawk is up tonight too. Canadian Air Force CP-140 went up not too long ago too.

US RC-135 took off and is headed North East, just over Athens now.

Wonder how many of these are scheduled flights... If any.

There are two tankers and 4 intelligence planes airborne and in the area or apparently on their way... Though I can't find the Canadian plane again.

completely word of mouth but I also got a email from a native teacher I know over there and he seems to think there is some allied air cover coming or being provided. Otherwise his info lines up with what's been already mentioned above.

Maybe, but I never said they don't? Where did I say that. And where did I say it's all Trump's fault? Hard to have a discussion when certain folks keep assuming something I never said.

You only lay blame to Trump, but don't include others. Sorry I didn't interpret your omissions.

If the US says it's gonna do something then it should do it. Otherwise why would anyone trust us? Putin has a point on his distrust of the US
Should we have promised to stick up for Ukraine? Probably not, should have let them do their thing. But we did and that's not really a mundane detail.
After that did any of the current or previous admin say, oh hey on that deal we probably won't be able to do that, you should figure out other options? It's not like this has been a non-issue for the past years.
What kind of message does this come across for Taiwan or Korea? Or just say screw it they can have those places as well. Don't see that ending well for us either.

Name one [sane] person who trusts the US government. The powers at be have been fucking anyone over to satisfy their agenda. It's not like the folks in DC are idolized for their upstanding behavior and trustworthiness.

"You can keep your Doctor"

Top Back Refresh