What's new

Record used truck prices

I have to wonder, does anyone know anyone, or even know OF anyone, who has paid these prices people are asking? I'm talking private party sale, not "the dealer gave me $20k trade in on a new $70k truck that I now have a $90k note on, damn what a deal!"

I've been idly watching craigslist for a bit now. Tons of trucks that seem to be commanding a premium, but the ads stay up. I've come across several trucks that looking back, I should have bought. I'm talking priced low like they would have been a year ago, and even then the ads stayed up a week or two while I hemmed and hawed before someone else bought them.

I'm starting to think (private party anyway) there is a big disconnect and everyone is confusing what trucks are being listed at, and what trucks are actually selling for.

Family member had a one of those third gen dodge trucks listed for $19,500 because “I know what I got” and priced it like the other idiots. He talked about how great it was, it’s a work truck, has all this torque, blah blah blah. I told him I’d give him $14,000 for it and he laughed. After a few weeks of FEW tire kickers he talked about how no one made an offer, but lots were interested. It had 300k+ miles on it and was 15 years old. He told me how much better it was than my truck, how much power it has, etc, again and again and again, “if it’s so great why are you getting rid of it?” Wellll.....was always his answer on top of he already had the new truck. He sold it for $14,500 after saying he’d take $18,500.

I love the men’s about it. I tell people I’d take $20k for my 2006 duramax. “I’m not paying that” gets a “then you’re not getting this one.” Nothing special about it I just don’t need to get rid of it, and I’d need that much to make a newer truck affordable. I think THAT is the biggest factor in stupid prices. Guys want a newer truck because they think the one they have is going to start falling apart because they’ve never owned a truck that long, or hear about how some guy had to something their something and it cost him $6,000.

F I think THAT is the biggest factor in stupid prices. Guys want a newer truck because they think the one they have is going to start falling apart because they’ve never owned a truck that long, or hear about how some guy had to something their something and it cost him $6,000.

People are well-trained now. I just saw an iPhone 12 on Marketplace for $1700. :eek:

People are well-trained now. I just saw an iPhone 12 on Marketplace for $1700. :eek:

I bet he knows what he got. The newest iPhone until the newest one comes out next month. He has to get all his money back so he can buy the new one for nothing. Not sure who would pay that much for the phone. It’s not me. I need old stuff that doesn’t always work the best to feel normal otherwise I feel too fancy or like I’m trying to show off how much money I have. I’d rather buy guns, ammo, food, Jeep parts, or Oreos.

[486 said:
;n171922]

I'd rather just not work as many hours.

This guy has gotten smarter and smarter over the years. Aside from the VW problem.

I'm starting to think (private party anyway) there is a big disconnect and everyone is confusing what trucks are being listed at, and what trucks are actually selling for.

Yes. Prices are inflated, but nothing like what people are yelling about.

Theres always an outlier, and people then think that's the basis for all vehicle sales.

Called about an 02 yukon Denali. 220k miles, reman transmission, a/c worked but was stuck on heat, autoride or whatever fancy suspension didnt work, newer tires, didnt like to go much over 55mph, some rust but no major rot that I saw in pictures, burned a quart every 3000, other minor stuff, asking $3000. I passed. I can go buy something slightly newer with less miles, for less money at the wrecking yard.

I too am fighting the urge to spend 5 digits on an old truck. My goal is a V10 f350 4x4 dually , but Ill take a 7.3 as well. Prefer stick, either extended cab or 4 door. Anything decent sells quick though, so I am holding my money until shit gets more reasonably priced. Until then, Ill sport my 4x4 MDT, its 3x the truck, literally :flipoff2:

I too am fighting the urge to spend 5 digits on an old truck. My goal is a V10 f350 4x4 dually , but Ill take a 7.3 as well. Prefer stick, either extended cab or 4 door. Anything decent sells quick though, so I am holding my money until shit gets more reasonably priced. Until then, Ill sport my 4x4 MDT, its 3x the truck, literally :flipoff2:

I want the same truck

I bet he knows what he got. The newest iPhone until the newest one comes out next month. He has to get all his money back so he can buy the new one for nothing. Not sure who would pay that much for the phone. It’s not me. I need old stuff that doesn’t always work the best to feel normal otherwise I feel too fancy or like I’m trying to show off how much money I have. I’d rather buy guns, ammo, food, Jeep parts, or Oreos.

It's really pretty crazy in general what people want for used shit right now. I've been searching for a TIG welder for the last month or so and the one I decided on runs $1,800 msrp. Some calling around found them as low as $1,700. I decided I'd do a little shopping and see if I could find a decent used one for a reasonable price and maybe score a bottle so I wouldn't have to buy both separate. All the used ones are listed for $1,300-$1,400 and no one would budge. 1300 wouldn't be terrible with a bottle and/or cart but fuck 75-80% for a used machine that is out of warranty and probably needs some consumable maintenance. People are insane. Actually got cussed at by one guy when I drove out to see him with $1,100 in my hand, attempted to bitch me out for wasting his time. I attempted to explain to him prior to the bitch fest that I had done some research and the actual median sales price of ebay over the last 12 months was a little less than 1,050.

I found a brand new shelf model on Wednesday night and paid $1,250 shipped for it still has full warranty and everything. It'll be here Monday. Embarrassing that a little shopping can score you a brand new machine for less than these goons think there garbage is worth.

this is what happens when too much money is chasing too few goods...

Or... the fed government has devalued the dollar another 30%, give or take, since Feb.

Or... Told ya that Quantitative Easing would come back to bite us in the ass.

If you think it's stopping anytime soon, you're probably wrong....

I've been offered just shy of what I paid for my 2016 F350 (purchased used with 7k miles) on trade... twice. I'll admit I would like to have the 10 speed in the new truck, but looks like I"ll have the 2016 for many years.

You don't want the 10 speed. The additional gears allow better gas mileage, but it has also lead to more breakage, and now they're saying it can cause injuries to passengers.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/ford-f-150-10-speed-transmission-problems-lawsuit.shtml

https://fordauthority.com/2019/08/ford-f-150-10-speed-transmission-subject-new-lawsuit/

It's really pretty crazy in general what people want for used shit right now. I've been searching for a TIG welder for the last month or so and the one I decided on runs $1,800 msrp. Some calling around found them as low as $1,700. I decided I'd do a little shopping and see if I could find a decent used one for a reasonable price and maybe score a bottle so I wouldn't have to buy both separate. All the used ones are listed for $1,300-$1,400 and no one would budge. 1300 wouldn't be terrible with a bottle and/or cart but fuck 75-80% for a used machine that is out of warranty and probably needs some consumable maintenance. People are insane. Actually got cussed at by one guy when I drove out to see him with $1,100 in my hand, attempted to bitch me out for wasting his time. I attempted to explain to him prior to the bitch fest that I had done some research and the actual median sales price of ebay over the last 12 months was a little less than 1,050.

I found a brand new shelf model on Wednesday night and paid $1,250 shipped for it still has full warranty and everything. It'll be here Monday. Embarrassing that a little shopping can score you a brand new machine for less than these goons think there garbage is worth.

Yeah you’re like the guys who told my family member ‘KBB says’ and he replied with ‘yeah good luck driving a book.’ He then turned around to quote the same book about how great of a deal he got on his new truck. He got a deal for sure. I just found it funny how the book price mattered 50% of the time.

Reactions: DMG
My mother has been shopping for a late model F150 to replace the 2006 F150 i gave her back in 2014. Pricing being the way it is, I think she's settled on an explorer.

Anyone want a 2006 4.6 F150 that does not run and needs plugs and coil packs and who knows what else?

My mother has been shopping for a late model F150 to replace the 2006 F150 i gave her back in 2014. Pricing being the way it is, I think she's settled on an explorer.

Anyone want a 2006 4.6 F150 that does not run and needs plugs and coil packs and who knows what else?

ME! lol

A friend of mine is looking to sell his 2016 F150, single cab short bed. 2.7, ecoboost I think. In CT.

What's the price? Cab/bed configuration? Rust? If I were smart I'd buy this myself, fix it and drive it but I'm stupid and I know a guy who's in the market for a truck.

A friend of mine is looking to sell his 2016 F150, single cab short bed. 2.7, ecoboost I think. In CT.

She took home an explorer for the weekend to try it out. Its actually from Putnam Ford in CT.

She won't buy a single cab.

What's the price? Cab/bed configuration? Rust? If I were smart I'd buy this myself, fix it and drive it but I'm stupid and I know a guy who's in the market for a truck.
Keep in mind, your going to have to pull the motor... because the heads ain't coming off in the truck. And you can't get that broken(s) spark plug(s) out without getting the head(s) off.

On the bright side, with new plugs and coilpacks its a 400k motor easy. Other than the $2000 labor for plugs. :flipoff2:

Keep in mind, your going to have to pull the motor... because the heads ain't coming off in the truck. And you can't get that broken(s) spark plug(s) out without getting the head(s) off.
huh?
that's a fairly common job (broke off mod motor plugs)
extremely rare to pull a head

I bought a 2018 gmc truck new 2 years ago this month for 38k. Current blue book - $38k, which is up from $35k 3 months ago. New ones are just a bit over $40k. Maybe I should just upgrade while stupid people are buying?

bump

prices around so-cal have gotten Silly! Its like everyonehasa printinf machine at home and on buying frenzy.

Looking at excursionsans f250/350s, but its just insanity.

Wondering if they will ever come down?

Just saw this.

Rust isn't terrible. Bed floor is crusty. Its an STX model with crank windows and manual tease. Rims and tires fairly new.
I have more pictures if interested.

20201026_113642.jpg

bump

prices around so-cal have gotten Silly! Its like everyonehasa printinf machine at home and on buying frenzy.

Looking at excursionsans f250/350s, but its just insanity.

Wondering if they will ever come down?

Buying frenzy? have you actually seen any of the insanely priced excursions actually selling (ads disappearing)? I only ask because I'm in a similar market and based on other's comments here, I think there is a lot of "I don't need to sell it but if someone would pay this I'd let it go..." or "no low ballers, I know what I got" types of ads. I see lots of trucks like that for sale, a month or two ago, and still for sale.

manual tease.

Sounds kinky:flipoff2:

On a serious note, seeing shit like that makes me glad I don't live in that type of area where trucks rust back to the earth. I have a few, with one much older than that, work trucks and nothing is rusted that bad, even if that is minor rust for that location.

Sounds kinky:flipoff2:

On a serious note, seeing shit like that makes me glad I don't live in that type of area where trucks rust back to the earth. I have a few, with one much older than that, work trucks and nothing is rusted that bad, even if that is minor rust for that location.

Tcase :laughing:

That is minimal rust here. It's really only the steel bumper and around the gas filler and the bed floor.

Most of these trucks don't have rockers, cab corners, or fenders.

Just saw this.

Rust isn't terrible. Bed floor is crusty. Its an STX model with crank windows and manual tease. Rims and tires fairly new.
I have more pictures if interested.

I'll PM you my friend's number if he's down to buy.

Top Back Refresh