What's new

Record used truck prices

I dunno why exactly, shy of they are some of the last generation of "owner maintainable" rigs to buy today. ..

I've got a buddy with 1-2 sq. Body duallies in geyserville fer sale, I'll see if I can get him on here.

Hmmm, whatcha got? Any pics?
Probably in photofukkit jail...

Last edited:
I just saw a 05 F250 4x4, v10, 90k, for $15k. Tempted to buy it and sell my 18 Ram for more than I paid for it. I only drive it about 6k a year so it should last me until prices come back down. mmmm choices :homer:

I just saw a 05 F250 4x4, v10, 90k, for $15k. Tempted to buy it and sell my 18 Ram for more than I paid for it. I only drive it about 6k a year so it should last me until prices come back down. mmmm choices :homer:

At 10k or less a year that shouldn't even be a question. Do it.

Dad's got an '04 4x4 Reg Cab 5.4 F250 with 60k miles on it. Yes, 60k. I'm trying to convince him to sell. :laughing:

That 6200 vehicle probably was only worth 3200 last year....

With the depreciation going so flip-floped now its hard to justify not clearing out any depreciating assets and killing your buying power. If you could sell back a truck at 62K at 64K and buy a 6.2k beater you are comfortable with go for it. Let the bubble pop with someone else holding the bill.
it's not depreciation of the vehicle that's jacked...

it's the depreciation of the currency.

So a rusted out, underpowered, rough riding pickup.

Does he need the $350?
Actually, he went completely through it earlier this year. Not a spec of rust on it. Its been undercoated too, I think.

But with the prices they are now, I figure if he were looking for a new truck, now would be the time to sell the old one.

So a rusted out, underpowered, rough riding pickup.

Does he need the $350?
If it were '05+ I'd be interested but the last thing I need in my life are more leaf springs.

I always get a chuckle out of the simpletons who are too afraid to let a 5.4 rev.

Reactions: DMG
Two guys I work with have dealt with truck prices.
First one sold back a 2016 Dodge 4x4 crew cab long bed diesel to carvana for what he paid for it new after driving it 70K miles.

Second guy just bought a new mega cab 2wd diesel and paid 2k over window sticker and was excited about it, was bragging that he got a smoking deal.

I'm not in the market for a new truck, but that seems crazy. I'm hearing the days of 5k kickbacks are gone .

I know I know..

Cool Starry Bra :homer:

In 2010, I paid $28k for my 2007 5.9 quad cab Ram 2500 4x4 with 52k on the clock. It now has about 150k, and I've kept it nice. I'm pretty sure I could sell this truck for damn near what I paid for it after driving it for 11 years.

Except, I don't want to sell it because it's a good truck, and what would I get to replace it? New diesels have too much crap on them to go wrong....

It sounds like prices will come back in line with reality late 2022.

If that is seriously the price of trucks i might post my 05 F350 V10 with 119k for a stupid price and see if it sells

I don't get the obsession with low mile older stuff. At least not paying astronomically more than the same year truck, in good shape, with normal mile.

People are so fixated on the little number dealio on the dash:homer:

Everyone I know who bought a much lower than average mile truck, it turned out to be a pos. 1 was a 01 dodge in ~2012 with 40k miles, but already had a new trans (nv5600) :homer: think ended up blowing the trans again, and blowing the motor within 10k miles. The truck wasn't nice though, had evidence that it was a brodozer before. Shady fuck probably reflashed the odo.

Which is way too easy to do with a digital odo.

I'll just keeping buying the truck thats 90% as nice with the amount of miles it should have for 1/3 of the cost.

I don't get the obsession with low mile older stuff. At least not paying astronomically more than the same year truck, in good shape, with normal mile.

People are so fixated on the little number dealio on the dash:homer:

Everyone I know who bought a much lower than average mile truck, it turned out to be a pos. 1 was a 01 dodge in ~2012 with 40k miles, but already had a new trans (nv5600) :homer: think ended up blowing the trans again, and blowing the motor within 10k miles. The truck wasn't nice though, had evidence that it was a brodozer before. Shady fuck probably reflashed the odo.

Which is way too easy to do with a digital odo.

I'll just keeping buying the truck thats 90% as nice with the amount of miles it should have for 1/3 of the cost.
I think there a place for older low mileage trucks. But making sure that it's been used regularly is the main thing.
I've personally drug low mileage stuff out of the 10yrs worth of weeds, butt spliced in wiring where rats ate it, put new Chinese fuel pumps in.

Mileage came out to 5k per year, but nowhere near as nice as being driven 5k per year:homer:

Also, if it's 3 years old, and has one years worth of mileage, it very well may have been wrecked or blown up, moved from shop to shop to auction etc, been patched back together before being dumped on the market.

Several years ago I drive 200mi to look at a z71 suburban with 90k miles on it. It had been a theft recovery. Guy didn't totally conceal that he was a flipper, but was cagey with the rest.

An 03 truck with 90k on the clock, clean title, has an 04 air box with emissions label, and a 2005 date coded factory muffler.

Probably stripped then recovered, who knows how many miles on the 5.3. Or 4.8:laughing:

Exactly.

If it's an old man, that you go to his house, he's got a spot in the garage with the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling and he drives it every Sunday to get donuts at 430 am, it's probably legit.

But people just Nutting their pants over a 20 year old truck with 80k miles, I don't get.

Even the old man trucks start to show they're weaknesses once they actually get past half throttle and thing warm up more than they have since the 17 kid who washes trucks at the dealer drove it.

My 2 most reliable vehicles I bought at 200k. Neither were perfect, but both looked well maintained. Both were from the original owners family. They got over looked because omg 200k on a 15 year old vehicle. I paid $5k for my 97 F350 cclb 5spd/7.3 and $3800 for my 96 limited 4runner. Both are near 340k with very little repairs. I see similar vehicles with similar miles listed for anywhere from $8-15k :laughing:

What am I going to replace them with though?

Yep, had an '06 F350 V10 for about a year. Had like 120k mi on it but those were 120k dirt road miles hauling equipment trailers. Cracks on every piece of sheetmetal, bed falling apart. Had around 7000 hours on it.

Replaced it with an '03 Chevy 2500 with 225k mi and 6000 hours. Thing is like a brand new truck compared to that F350.

Yep, had an '06 F350 V10 for about a year. Had like 120k mi on it but those were 120k dirt road miles hauling equipment trailers. Cracks on every piece of sheetmetal, bed falling apart. Had around 7000 hours on it.

Replaced it with an '03 Chevy 2500 with 225k mi and 6000 hours. Thing is like a brand new truck compared to that F350.

Thats the other thing, be careful with online ads. Oil field and mine trucks usually are low mile. By about 20k miles they're in worse shape than my 340k 97 :laughing: then they sell them at 90k.

A 4wd suzuki sx4 for the wife and x90 for yourself?
Is an x90 with no trunk lid considered a truck? Can I put a gooseneck hitch in one? :flipoff2:

Thats the other thing, be careful with online ads. Oil field and mine trucks usually are low mile. By about 20k miles they're in worse shape than my 340k 97 :laughing: then they sell them at 90k.

Is an x90 with no trunk lid considered a truck? Can I put a gooseneck hitch in one? :flipoff2:

Of course! You just get one of the plate mounted ones and weld it to the truck lid

I’ve got a strange hard on for a +15 GM 6.0 truck but besides being nicer can’t justify it over my 02

I’ve got a strange hard on for a +15 GM 6.0 truck but besides being nicer can’t justify it over my 02
I'm looking at one this weekend. Cclb 2500, $17k for a 275k mile truck.

I'm trying to tell myself it's stupid. The damn thing is cleaner than many 50k mile trucks I've looked at though.

Top Back Refresh