What's new

Record used truck prices

Got a letter in the mail from the local ford dealer offering 30k for my wife’s 17 explorer sport, I told her to go see if they are for reelz. I think she needs a new explorer ST.

I was casually looking at used F250s with the 6.2 earlier this year. Didn't really need one but now I can't justify the price of one In good shape with <100k.

I could prob get what I paid for my truck for it now. I bought it in 08 with 87k on it, it has 170k on it now. If I clean it up some I can prob get even more for it. Almost tempting... but again what do I get to replace it.

I read the other day that it is the worst time to buy a used vehicle. When covid first hit and shut everything down, the manufactures stopped production on new vehicles, which caused a shortage of inventory. To get newer nicer used inventory, they have been paying 3 to 5k over retail at auctions.

I read the other day that it is the worst time to buy a used vehicle. When covid first hit and shut everything down, the manufactures stopped production on new vehicles, which caused a shortage of inventory. To get newer nicer used inventory, they have been paying 3 to 5k over retail at auctions.

I'm going to need the name and location of these auctions. I'll send all my inventory there, fuck my clients. It's high at auctions, but no one is paying retail, or over.

images (2).jpeg
I have no idea. they didn't say.

:flipoff2:

Could be. I cant imagine dealerships paying that much money..... but I know a guy I work with is looking to buy a second gen colorado. All the ones on car lots are only 2 to 3 grand less then brand new. Even 2016 with 20 to 50k miles on them.

lol, this.

fuck a pickup, I'm just gonna do MDT shit again.

the big problem for me is insurance... AAA wont touch my topkick, even though it looks like a big pickup. and commercial insurance...well...$$. I should just cab swap with a chevy 1500 and call it a day. No vin to be found on the frame, the dmv looked.

​​​​

Could be. I cant imagine dealerships paying that much money..... but I know a guy I work with is looking to buy a second gen colorado. All the ones on car lots are only 2 to 3 grand less then brand new. Even 2016 with 20 to 50k miles on them.

That's nothing new, vehicle sales are all smoke and mirrors.

And everyone wonders why used truck prices are high.

I've never owned a new vehicle, and between the price and all the ridiculous shit they hang on them, I never will.

The new super duty’s have massagers built into the seats. :shaking:

Thats what you get when enough yuppie ass city boys buy them to change the spec sheet away from farmers and construction workers.

the big problem for me is insurance... AAA wont touch my topkick, even though it looks like a big pickup. and commercial insurance...well...$$. I should just cab swap with a chevy 1500 and call it a day. No vin to be found on the frame, the dmv looked.

​​​​

Progressive will insure it. Both my Topkick and Isuzu are through them.

Progressive will insure it. Both my Topkick and Isuzu are through them.

Commercial or personal policy? My commercial auto policy is through them, but its big bucks to add that on (guessing about 6k/annual for liability) so thats a no go

Thankfully I bought pre scamdemic.. 15’ f150 heavily hail damaged with 40k for what a 93 f150 costs now

Last edited:
Commercial or personal policy? My commercial auto policy is through them, but its big bucks to add that on (guessing about 6k/annual for liability) so thats a no go

Maybe because socal? For "personal use" commercial policy is was ~$75 for a NPR/F450 a month. Class 8 was ~$110.

Mayne they know youre from the Soviet Bloc and cant drive? :flipoff2:

Last edited:
Maybe because socal? For "personal use" commercial policy is was ~$75 for a NPR/F450 a month. Class 8 was ~$110.

Mayne they know youre from the Soviet Bloc and cant drive? :flipoff2:

Because you knew how to call the correct dept and get the correct policy.

I have all the trucks I need. I don't really give a fuck. I'm gonna be pissed off as all hell if this jacks up prices on 1-ton vans and 80s MDTs though.

Personal, they did question when I added a second mdt to the policy as if I was running a trucking company.

The new super duty’s have massagers built into the seats. :shaking:

Thats what you get when enough yuppie ass city boys buy them to change the spec sheet away from farmers and construction workers.

I have yet to find a superduty with massage capable seats... been looking at 2020’s for weeks.. them that must be on the limited only?

I have yet to find a superduty with massage capable seats... been looking at 2020’s for weeks.. them that must be on the limited only?

The middle aged farmers who've beat the shit out of their bodies buy them up as soon as they hit the lots. :flipoff2:

The middle aged farmers who've beat the shit out of their bodies buy them up as soon as they hit the lots. :flipoff2:

Maybe. But I haven’t even seen that as an option on the build tool... heated and cooled, yes. Massage, no

I bought my 18 Ram 3500 SLT used with 19k miles for $46k last year. I just checked KBB and its worth $50k with 25k miles.

It was a rental for the first 19k but only had minor interior blemishes and a ding inside the bed. This was my first used rental/fleet truck but it seems to be the only place to get a decent deal on a truck as long as you look close, are patient finding the right one, and don't mind white :grinpimp:

A coworker of mine bought a 2017+ Platinum a couple of years ago that had them. I had read about massaging seats in car magazines in Mercedes, BMWs, etc., but the first time I experienced them in person was in a diesel F250 :laughing:

Honestly, I don't get the appeal. They just felt to me like someone was kicking/pushing on the back of your seat really hard :confused:

the used market in Canada is shit right now, especially for diesels. everything is going down to the states. a friend does a bunch of work for a guy with a small dealership, he pretty much buys from the dealer auction, cleans them up a little bit then sends them to the U.S. sells them for the same dollar number he buys them for but in U.S. money, at 76 cents exchange that is pretty good coin.

anyone want a 2010 RAM 3500 dually 6 speed, 110k miles? lol :grinpimp:

A coworker of mine bought a 2017+ Platinum a couple of years ago that had them. I had read about massaging seats in car magazines in Mercedes, BMWs, etc., but the first time I experienced them in person was in a diesel F250 :laughing:

Honestly, I don't get the appeal. They just felt to me like someone was kicking/pushing on the back of your seat really hard :confused:

The whole massaging chair idea just bothers me. "Let's turn the driver's seat into a super comfy massage chair that will get you nice and relaxed so you can take a refreshing nap while driving"

Top Back Refresh