What's new

Ray Charles Tacoma build

Going to try the pillow block again with the straight shafts?
Nah I didn't fix the short shaft coming off the Tcase, I am hoping once the Eco box shows up that I can just make a one piece shaft and get rid of the pillow block all together

I finally got tired of my rear air locker failing and slapped in a grizzly locker. So far I cant even tell its back there with the auto trans. Gonna try and test it out on the Rubicon this weekend. Gotta drive my pile 7hrs there and back so that should be interesting
IMG_3647.jpeg

i took a 85 fj60 with family of 4 from ventura to rubicon and drove the entire way also. you will be fine as long as you dont hit any hard core trails and use all the bypasses, after all that what they are there for. hahahahahahahahah:beer::beer::beer::grinpimp::grinpimp:

i took a 85 fj60 with family of 4 from ventura to rubicon and drove the entire way also. you will be fine as long as you dont hit any hard core trails and use all the bypasses, after all that what they are there for. hahahahahahahahah:beer::beer::beer::grinpimp::grinpimp:
I used to do it in my old rig so I'm not to worried about it, I will definitely be hitting as many bonus lines as I can lol. I want to try soup bowl with the new axles and see how it does. My 40s are almost bald and I don't have a spare but gonna send it anyways lol

I used to do it in my old rig so I'm not to worried about it, I will definitely be hitting as many bonus lines as I can lol. I want to try soup bowl with the new axles and see how it does. My 40s are almost bald and I don't have a spare but gonna send it anyways lol
No trailer life here and you will be fine. What's even more fun is taking harder lines and not breaking while the trailer queens either take bypasses or break their junk piles.

Got locker fixed, had seal housing backwards. I peened the inside of the bearing caps so hopefully that keeps the races from spinning. Now I am just chasing driveline issues. The carrier bearing is squeaking like a mofo under load so might have a blown ujoint or something causing it to spin weird
What happened to this fix? Had you tested and had another failure even after correct install was made?

I am interested to hear how the grizzly is long term for you, too many people seem to have issues with air lockers. makes me scared to try one. :laughing:

What happened to this fix? Had you tested and had another failure even after correct install was made?
It worked when I pulled it off the rack, went to hit lockers on my last trip and it leaked out the breather line. I pulled it back apart and the seal housing had not rotated so it was either a fail in the seals or the braising of the copper line. At that point it was my third failure so I just pulled it out. Yukon does not have a keeper tab for the seal housing like ARBs do so its a inferior design.

I have not had issues with the front zip locker (yet)

I am interested to hear how the grizzly is long term for you, too many people seem to have issues with air lockers. makes me scared to try one. :laughing:
I had one in my old rig with no issues. With the auto you can't tell its back there. On a manual trans they do rachet and make your rig lurch when you take off and come to a stop which can be annoying

Brake Master Cylinder decided t o go out, replaced it within a day but it had already eaten the seal in the booster so I ended up having to do a new booster and master.

Originally I had copied with the old owner had in the truck, a welded clevis end on a t100 booster but after talking to a few other taco owners on tons I figured out I could keep some of the threads on the booster and keep the clevis end as a bolt on.

I removed part of the brake pedal linkage in order to get a better pedal feel and eliminate the binding of the factory plastic bushings.

Brakes are wayyyy better now and actually lock up.
running T100 1 1/16" master cylinder from a 1ton dually 2wd truck and a dual diaphram T100 booster with about 1.5" of thread trimmed off (ignore the disgusting welds and hacked clevis, they dont sell new ones that I could find so I had to get creative). I removed the pedal linkage circled in red and ended up with the setup on the last pic
IMG_3711.jpeg
IMG_3712.jpeg
IMG_3709.png

Thanks good luck to you to! Hopefully one of us yota guys can get on there and show all the blingy jeep builds how to wheel
funny story that. we went to the great american crawl because it was close. holly cow is there alot of marketing that goes into that jeep crowd. not bashing on them at all. just saying we builders are a unique bunch. there development does help us out alot too.

If I had a cage I would enter as well. Would be funny as I don't trailer, so drive it there, wheel 24hrs and drive it home lol

p
If I had a cage I would enter as well. Would be funny as I don't trailer, so drive it there, wheel 24hrs and drive it home lol

They pick some ROUGH terrain. That would be quite the challenge to see. Oklahoma and Arizona were gnarly.

Finally did the tacks on the steering shaft to get rid of some of the slop, and shimmed the plastic ball thing on the end. Haven't gotten a chance to drive it yet. Headed to Marlin roundup this weekend!

clock spring is definitely broken but who needs a horn and cruise control anyways
IMG_3941.jpeg
IMG_3942.jpeg
IMG_3943.jpeg

Just got back from Rubicon for the Marlin Roundup 2023, great time on the trail. It rained, hailed and then cleared up in minutes so wild weather.

Day 1, Colin had no AC driving on the 5 to Sacramento in 109 degree heat, we tried to wire up his blower motor to a switch but it kept blowing fuses, got to freshpond and Collins trailer wheel bearing decided to leave the chat. Had to backtrack to Napa in Pollock pines for parts. We repaired the bearing in the parking lot and also wired his blower directly to the batter so he had AC. Finally got to the trailhead at 9pm and made it to Soup Bowl before Colin got a sidewall puncture. He forgot his plug kit at home so we camped that night on Soup Bowl and waited till people passed by asking for a plug kit. Finally got one at noon and made our way to Buck to camp.

Day 2 we hung out at Buck, checked out the waterfalls and paddled around. Just enjoying the views along with some thunder and lighting storms

Dat 3 we cruised to the Rubicon Springs for roundup, I didn't take any pics of roundup this year but there were maybe 150 people in attendance which was really small compared to previous yrs. We swam in the springs, enjoyed the roundup and BBQ and hid under the overhangs because it decided to hail on us. Did some nightwheeling back to Buck just in time for second dinner.

Day 4 we cruised out at 8AM after cleaning up camp. A bear got into our trash and stole it all, proceeding to eat it right out side camp. We cleaned up and got on our way only to hit trail traffic at Soup Bowl again. There was a group of IFS Tacoma's that refused to get out of the way and held up the entire trail all the way to the slabs where we finally got passed them and made it to the tow rigs by 2pm.

Great trip, only carnage was Colins tire and I bent my rear driveshaft on little sluice
IMG_3973.jpeg
IMG_3979.jpeg
IMG_3987.jpeg
IMG_3989.jpeg
IMG_4002.jpeg
IMG_4003.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg
IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4030.jpeg
IMG_4039.jpeg

lol your gonna laugh but that was my first time wheeling/camping in the rain. Its usually desert wheeling here or sunny days. Don't get a lot of weather
I could see that. Evreytime I went wheeling and camping this year it rained at least once:laughing:!!

Great pics on the trail! How’s the white taco like the maxxis razr mt? I bought a set because they were super cheap but haven’t finished my build yet.

Top Back Refresh