What's new

Ray Charles Tacoma build

Great pics on the trail! How’s the white taco like the maxxis razr mt? I bought a set because they were super cheap but haven’t finished my build yet.
I am not sure, that is Big Mike from Marlin Crawler, I know he had Cooper Stt pros on there before but not sure his feedback on the maxxis

Added some 4 degree axle shims and new center pins from WFO Concepts and replaced my carrier bearing with an OEM one I found on Amazon, there is a spicer one thats like 70$. Driveshaft vibrations got way better afterwards

Heading to the Rubicon again for a Bachelor party
IMG_4321.jpeg

Rubicon Bachelor part trip was a real adventure, the groom brought 2 rigs, one a proven trail rig and another was a brand new build (sas Tahoe on 35" all terains and a front locker)
day 1: (Thurs) roll into loon around 8pm and meet up with most of the group at the spillway, we decide to night wheel in to Ellis with around 6 rigs. The groom got lost somewhere past the slabs and managed to puncture a hole in his oil filter and damage the clutch master cylinder. We spent the night recovering him and finished around 4AM.

day 2: (Fri morning) we wake up around 9am and get a game plan together, the groom and his father in law (build jk on 40s) tow the broken rig back to the spillway while the rest of our group head to buck to secure a camp site. We get to buck, take a nap wait for the rest of our buddies that drove in Fri morning. They meet us around 4pm and we all hang out and cook dinner. There was a guy with a broken JT from Texas that was at buck trying to get a broken axle shaft out of his carrier, we helped him pull the carrier.

Groom finally gets to camp around 9pm, apparently the Tahoe blew a rear tire in little sluice so they backtracked again to the tow rigs for a spare tire. They left the Tahoe up near the bypass of little sluice. That night the bear that has been hanging around buck got into our food 3 times. We chased it off but he kept coming back.

day 3: (sat morning) we decide its best to break camp and head to soup for the night so we have an early start to getting the Tahoe back out of the trail We hung out at buck for the morning and swam made lunch then hit the trail. We get to little sluice to recover the Tahoe then make our way towards soup. We made it all of 20 yards before the driver of the Tahoe (grooms father) gets stuck on a diff rock. He goes to pull a winch line and gets his thumb caught between a factor 55 winch fairlead and the bumper. The winchline sucked in vs going out and cut the tip of his thumb off from the nail forward. We throw a bandage on it and I decide to leave the group and get him to the spillway as fast as possible to meet an ambulance. We call in an ambulance at the cell phone tree then make our way to the spill way (made it in 50 min from little sluice to spillway). The ambulance meets us and takes the grooms dad to a hospital in Davis for surgery.

After that we get the broken tow rig on a trailer and go to leave but 2 tow rigs were blocking us in because they couldn't get enough traction to make it up the hill. I hooked the taco up to them and towed them out up the hill so we could head out. We made camp that night at the Chalet where we parked the tow rigs and just hung out and cooked some dinner.

Day 4: (Sunday) we wake up early, make some breakfast and hit the road home.

Photos are all over the place because I didn't take any the first night wheeling in
IMG_4351.jpeg
IMG_4352.jpeg
IMG_4357.jpeg
IMG_4361.jpeg
IMG_4368.jpeg
IMG_4385.jpeg

I saw the Ford Explorer with crazy light hoop setup towing through Placerville on Sunday around 1:30. Was curious how his weekend went. Looks like this sums it up :smokin:

Bummer we can't carry spare thumb tips in our parts boxes.

I saw the Ford Explorer with crazy light hoop setup towing through Placerville on Sunday around 1:30. Was curious how his weekend went. Looks like this sums it up :smokin:

Bummer we can't carry spare thumb tips in our parts boxes.
Ya it was a shit show out there

Sucks he had to learn the hard way not to have your hands anywhere near there, glad it wasn't worse though.

I thought my buddies bachelor party at Fordyce where he blew a rod out the side of his 4.0 was a shit show, but atleast everyone left with all their digits :laughing:

Damn sounds like a wild trip!

You know the guy with that explorer? Ran into him last year at his bachelor party on the con

Attachments

• 20220826_100057.jpg
    20220826_100057.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
I was there this weekend and saw the Tahoe parked by the v notch Saturday morning. The group was wondering what was up with it. The bear also came into our camp at the top of buck at about 4am Sunday morning.

We met 2 Canadians when we were there in the end of August. They got hit by a bear in Tahoe and at buck :laughing:

They said they saw the one at buck a few times and it didn't seem worried about them. Probably time to get rid of it.

Any warden worth a shit would issue a depredation permit also.
They need to do something about this bear it doesn't get scared by people, a few people shot warning shots at it and it didn't care. Only a matter of time before it starts causing more problems or some drunk idiot shoots a camper on accident

I was there this weekend and saw the Tahoe parked by the v notch Saturday morning. The group was wondering what was up with it. The bear also came into our camp at the top of buck at about 4am Sunday morning.
We figured it was best to leave the tahoe by the Vnotch vs trying to get it down to buck and back out

The back end of the taco needs some work the Chevys keep bending and I have some temporary ghetto bumps. I am thinking about doing a 3 link rear with some 2.5x14 coilovers so I can retain the factory gas tank for smog. Anyone have links to other guys that have done this? 4WU makes a kit but I am not a fan of their link mounts hanging off the frame and I don't like how they mount the axle side joints on top of the tube.
1695230471120.png

can you do parallel 4 link and panhard mount?
do lower mounts off cross member for tcase, if you dont have one put one in right below the yoke. maybe you could inboard them just enough to get a slight triangle and still miss the fuel tank.

maybe 4 link wont work. maybe 3 link but use your crossmember to attach links to and thats all part of the skid plate so smooth transition and the third link well no clue really. just spit balling ideas.

1695231240714.png

maybe 4 link wont work. maybe 3 link but use your crossmember to attach links to and thats all part of the skid plate so smooth transition and the third link well no clue really. just spit balling ideas.

1695231240714.png
Ya I am thinking of something similar to that, my eco box is shipping next week supposedly so once I get that in and a skid built I will have a better idea of what I have to work with for room

Top Back Refresh