What's new

Ray Charles Tacoma build

to me i like this one. now if its strong enough that i dont know. but i like how it is out of the way above exhaust and bolt orientation.
1696939565398.png

Did you cut up the trans tunnel because of the triple shifters? I'm hoping to clock my eco crawler either 10º or 16º but I hope I'm not needing to cut up anything.
I recommend just cutting it out and building a removable panel. You will inevitably have to adjust a shifter linkage or have to access to the too of the case for something anyway, may as well make it easy on yourself.

to me i like this one. now if its strong enough that i dont know. but i like how it is out of the way above exhaust and bolt orientation.

I completely agree with chaplin on this one. With suspension bushings vertical the only part of the bushing that's doing anything is the shoulder. Not the right way to do it. They need to be parallel with the floor like this picture.

I have trail gear bomb proof mounts, so its now essentially solid mounted everywhere
How is the vibration with the bomb proof mounts? I have those on my 22r and it vibrates a decent amount, my stock ones on the Tacoma look okay for now but might switch eventually

How is the vibration with the bomb proof mounts? I have those on my 22r and it vibrates a decent amount, my stock ones on the Tacoma look okay for now but might switch eventually
They definitely vibrated more than the stock ones but I don't even notice it with the cage and everything else that rattles. Your truck will rattle like a mofo as soon as you take it to JV lol

Just chain the stockers. I have beat on my 150k stock ones and recently swapped in new OEM ones and forgot to chain them and they have been fine.

Finally got the truck running and driving. The speedo wasn't working, I figured out that you have to take your old worm gear out of the electric shift case and swap it over to the new Jshift case to get it to read correctly since the Jshift case worm gear is slightly smaller. Gotta figure out how to seal up the cab around the triple sticks but other than that she is ready to wheel. Definitely need to cut down the stick closest to the steering wheel as it hits my knee while driving, not sure why they made it stick out so far.

Gonna go to Shaver lake this weekend for a shake down run

IMG_4829.jpeg
IMG_4830.jpeg
IMG_4831.jpeg
IMG_4832.jpeg
IMG_4834.jpeg

shit yeah, buddy. nice work :beer: Taco is going to be a whole different truck with proper gearing... and your trans will thank you

low range auto is like cheating. its crazy in low low low you can idle up rocks and ledges and fun stuff, and the best part if if you need to back off get another line you can inch backward till your tires are about to roll off and all you have to do is let off the brake and you inch forward again. no triple footing it and rolling off.

so fun....

Sealing up the floor is such a PITA, let me know what you figure out:laughing:. I can only drive on the highway for a little bit with the windows down before my cases get hot and I start smelling gear lube from the air being sucked up through the floor. I used aluminum tape and it worked for a little bit then started springing air leaks.

Sealing up the floor is such a PITA, let me know what you figure out:laughing:. I can only drive on the highway for a little bit with the windows down before my cases get hot and I start smelling gear lube from the air being sucked up through the floor. I used aluminum tape and it worked for a little bit then started springing air leaks.
I covered the whole thing with dyna mat, the shifter is still not fully sealed but it was the best I could come up with until they make a boot for this triple stick kit

I covered the whole thing with dyna mat, the shifter is still not fully sealed but it was the best I could come up with until they make a boot for this triple stick kit
I thought about that, let me know how it works

take a towel, triple fold it, put a small hole in it, and push it down over the shifters. it will seal better than you think

update, the shakedown run went well on the duals. Taco is a lot easier to control on the bonus lines, especially going down obstacles.

We rented a Airbnb in Shaver lake and drove the rigs to the trails and back. Took our new pup on her first wheeling trip and she did great!
Friday did a quick run up to Bald Mtn
Sat we ran Strawberry and Red lake trails

Had a bearing noise in the taco for the weekend but went to drive it to work today and now its dead quiet so not sure what the deal was. Gonna pretend I never had any noises lol
IMG_4870.jpeg
IMG_4876.jpeg
IMG_4888.jpeg
IMG_4904.jpeg
IMG_4911.jpeg
IMG_4910.jpeg
IMG_4914.jpeg
IMG_4920.jpeg
IMG_4924.jpeg
IMG_4931.jpeg

love the area, can’t wait to get back out there.

I’m not familiar with the Toyota eco setup, what gearing do you wind up with?

love the area, can’t wait to get back out there.

I’m not familiar with the Toyota eco setup, what gearing do you wind up with?
Its a stock low range stacked in front of another stock low range so I end up with essentially stock double low 2.57:1 ratios

Well, JV for thanksgiving was eventful, finally broke my shit to the point I had to get towed out. Wheeled Turkey Claw and Blueberry with zero issues, headed over to Chocolate thunder for a quick lap and my trackbar bracket decided to rip off the axle side. I had some buddies run me up a trail welder and got it welded back on. Made it 20 feet and then the driveshaft snapped (didn't even hit it on anything) and right after that the track bar bracket ripped off again also shearing the heim on my ram and breaking the ram fitting. Ran passenger the rest of the trip, gonna need to beef up this Artec bracket and gusset it better
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5295.jpeg
IMG_5301.jpeg
IMG_5302.jpeg
IMG_5311.jpeg
IMG_5316.jpeg
IMG_5317.jpeg
IMG_5321.jpeg

Nice, I was there from Wednesday and came home early Sunday. Great weather, wish I knew about other members being there.

Nice, I was there from Wednesday and came home early Sunday. Great weather, wish I knew about other members being there.
It was really good weather this yr, there are probably a lot of guys from Irate out there its just hard to link up with so many people on the lake bed

that is impressive. i had a track bar rip off once and i think it was because it did not have enough welded area around the tube the last one i build, i build it to stay.

1701113898256.png

1701113934820.png
I will definitely beef up the bracket this go around, it was only welded on 2 sides due to the design so gonna try and get it welded on all 4 sides with some gussets

Top Back Refresh