What's new

Ray Charles Tacoma build

i bet that ram is the culprit
Oh definitely
Are you guys being sarcastic?

I'm not bashing the builder, but I see what appears to be lack of weld penetration on the track bar bracket... am I missing something?

1701185168149.png

I'm not bashing the builder, but I see what appears to be lack of weld penetration on the track bar bracket... am I missing something?

1701185168149.png
Ya the weld definitely didn't penetrate, the ram just side loads that bracket to much. Gonna preheat the tube this time and box the bracket in all the way around

Solid plan.

It's an awkward position- the bracket appears really close to the inner C. Can you weld it from both sides? Maybe with a bit of grinder work to chamfer the bracket , and a focus on getting the weld puddle nicely developed on the tube before moving to the bracket...

Solid plan.

It's an awkward position- the bracket appears really close to the inner C. Can you weld it from both sides? Maybe with a bit of grinder work to chamfer the bracket , and a focus on getting the weld puddle nicely developed on the tube before moving to the bracket...
Kind of hard to see but it’s hard to weld the inside due to the bracket design. I am gonna try and make a gusset that ties into the truss on the back side and possibly box in the open side of the bracket under the track bar
IMG_0640.jpeg

that ram mount has a lot of leverage and id be hard pressed to believe that the steering stops are set properly.

i would not argue there is weld quality playing a part, but i think even with a good weld job, there is not enough structure to support that ram.

it would appear the ram is making contact with the tierod

1701197957401.png

that ram mount has a lot of leverage and id be hard pressed to believe that the steering stops are set properly.

i would not argue there is weld quality playing a part, but i think even with a good weld job, there is not enough structure to support that ram.

it would appear the ram is making contact with the tierod

1701197957401.png
The nut on the Ram self Clearanced itself on the tie rod, I have the Ram de-stroked to 7" so it bottoms out at the same time as it hits the steering stops. I will brace and gusset the bracket to tie into the truss and see what happens

quick and dirty, but this is how i would rebuild that mount. make the top plate of the ram mount as long as possible, bridge to the back side of the axle with a tube slug, wrap the bottom side plate as far down the axle as possible. build the ram mount first, weld both sides of the long plate, then weld both sides of the lower plate, build out pan hard mounts, then cap it all off.

1701230334347.png

1701230360175.png

1701230413222.png

1701230437452.png

Last edited:
thats bad ass, and this is why i down loaded solid works for makers last night to learn this.... and i was thinking something like this but this is way more visual than i could do.

quick and dirty, but this is how i would rebuild that mount. make the top plate of the ram mount as long as possible, bridge to the back side of the axle with a tube slug, wrap the bottom side plate as far down the axle as possible. build the ram mount first, weld both sides of the long plate, then weld both sides of the lower plate, build out pan hard mounts, then cap it all off.

1701230334347.png

1701230360175.png

1701230413222.png

1701230437452.png
I dig it, I have the truck scanned so I will see what I can come up with. Thanks for sharing!

1701230334347.png
Solid advice.

OP- again not to bash-

I looked back over your work - your welding (I'm assuming it's yours) looks a bit inconsistent.

Maybe take some practice passes, and start out by running the pass without actually welding it, and then weld it once you've established that you can comfortably complete the pass. Also remember to breathe, and slow down and let the puddle develop.

Solid advice.

OP- again not to bash-

I looked back over your work - your welding (I'm assuming it's yours) looks a bit inconsistent.

Maybe take some practice passes, and start out by running the pass without actually welding it, and then weld it once you've established that you can comfortably complete the pass. Also remember to breathe, and slow down and let the puddle develop.
Ya my welding definitely could be better, a lot of these projects are months apart so I weld consistently for a few weeks and then don't touch a welder again for months. Need more beers to steady that hand lol

Finally fix this turd, build a new driveshaft. Yotamasters was cool enough to send me replacement parts after mine broke in such a weird way. Also was able to tighten fittings on ram and rebleed steering and everything works.

I added some gussets on the frontside and rear of the track bar bracket (didn't get a pic of the rear) also preheated the tube and welded it way hotter so it should hold up (also did a double pass on the welds on the side by the C). Now I have some bumpsteer so I gotta check all my steering joints and see if something got blown when I broke the bracket and the axle shifted.
IMG_5540.jpeg
IMG_5570.jpeg
IMG_5569.jpeg
IMG_5567.jpeg
IMG_5572.jpeg
IMG_5573.jpeg
IMG_5574.jpeg
IMG_5575.jpeg

Any thoughts on the solid mounted motor after ~1 year on it? Did Synergy ever come out with the steering setup you prototyped?

Any thoughts on the solid mounted motor after ~1 year on it? Did Synergy ever come out with the steering setup you prototyped?
So far I have been really happy with it, I have some rattles and vibrations but thats normal for a caged crawler thats solid mounted everywhere

The steering setup from Synergy should be released in January they are just waiting on one part to be finished in production. I will post up in here once all that is released

So far I have been really happy with it, I have some rattles and vibrations but thats normal for a caged crawler thats solid mounted everywhere

The steering setup from Synergy should be released in January they are just waiting on one part to be finished in production. I will post up in here once all that is released
Did you go solid on the tcase mount too? Is the cab still on factory bushings?

Cool, interested to see the product

Did you go solid on the tcase mount too? Is the cab still on factory bushings?

Cool, interested to see the product
Ya I am solid mounted on the tcase to, I shoulda done something about the cab mount bushings before I did the exo, they are still stock mounts

Ya I am solid mounted on the tcase to, I shoulda done something about the cab mount bushings before I did the exo, they are still stock mounts
Are you going to need to cut the cage to do the body mounts?

I finally bobbed the bed on this school bus, not sure why it took me so long to do but here we are. My buddy Todd came over and helped me with the sheetmetal work since lining it back up was not fun after all the dents lol. Best part is it still fits my yaks!
IMG_5680.jpeg
IMG_5685.jpeg
IMG_5693.jpeg
IMG_5695.jpeg
IMG_5715.jpeg
IMG_5717.jpeg

The bed bob...that's why he tagged me. He knows I hate em and it's currently the topic of discussion on the tacoma thread in chit-chat right now
ah gotcha, I hit everything when I drop off obstacles and I can't make backdoor with the full length bed so it had to go lol

Top Back Refresh