What's new

Random stuff you made.

The little fuel slosh stopper in a Briggs and Stratton small engine.
1000043552.jpg
1000043551.jpg
1000043550.jpg
1000043553.jpg

Calling this "making something" is a stretch, but it's the little things that make life more tolerable. I was sick of chasing my Nalgene around on the dozer, it's left the cockpit a few times and I've had to go retrieve it. I've been responsible for all kinds of weird text, video calls, and changed settings, from my phone bouncing around in my sweaty shirt pocket while operating the dozer too. Funny enough '80s John Deere bulldozers didn't come with cup holders or phone mounts.

Off to Amazon:

Cup holder big enough for a 32oz Nalgene:

Plano case that's "water tight," well was, and a Pixel 6a fits snugly in. Even has a nice cushioning, silicone, liner for the bottom:

30lb, rubber coated, threaded, Neodymium magnets:

I put 3 on the bottom of the cup holder and 2 on the back of the Plano case. The screws have a tapered head, so I used a soldering iron to "counter sink" them into the Plano case.

PXL_20240714_223330284.jpg

PXL_20240714_223337319.jpg

Today was the first test of the magnet mounted accessories. Everything stayed put and my phone isn't covered in sweat and dust. :grinpimp:

Helping a buddy finish his 67 Rambler, one of the tasks was converting to a cable style clutch to work the cable converted T56. Pulled the stock clutch pedal and cut the shaft off, drilled and filed it square. Then made a new shaft to hold the cable quadrant (fox mustang style). It works fine and the pedal is pretty light, but I need to brace the firewall to keep it from flexing.

IMG-2416.jpg

A long time customer called me about buying a tank head fire pit, I referred him to several local tank head factories that sell ready made pits.

Several months later I get a call asking if he can drop off a 72" tank head to have some modifications done. I said sure and what needs to be done.

It needed a ring around the top and a base BUT he wanted to have it hinge...
I thought that was dumb and sort of pointless but it seemed like fun.

Well the hinges kicked my ass for a few weeks, I never did figure out how to design the hinges from parameters, I watched a hundred videos but in the end I just moved points in OnShape until it worked...
I made it harder than it likely needed to be because I wanted the hinges/lift to be hidden and raise up to clear the stone work around the base before tilting.
1000014174.png

1000014175.png

I had the rings rolled, that wasn't a problem.
I cut all the parts on the CNC plasma for the hinge. I drilled all the holes to loosely fit 1/2 grade 8 bolts as pins. I flipped it all upside down and started fixturing and tacking the brackets on.
1000013611.jpg
1000013612.jpg

This is when shit started descending in to chaos, I think I got too hot or the bending over on my new back was really tiring me out but this thing would not hinge... The linkage was bound up which made no sense but is likely to happen when you only r&d in CAD.

A long time customer called me about buying a tank head fire pit, I referred him to several local tank head factories that sell ready made pits.

Several months later I get a call asking if he can drop off a 72" tank head to have some modifications done. I said sure and what needs to be done.

It needed a ring around the top and a base BUT he wanted to have it hinge...
I thought that was dumb and sort of pointless but it seemed like fun.

Well the hinges kicked my ass for a few weeks, I never did figure out how to design the hinges from parameters, I watched a hundred videos but in the end I just moved points in OnShape until it worked...
I made it harder than it likely needed to be because I wanted the hinges/lift to be hidden and raise up to clear the stone work around the base before tilting.

I had the rings rolled, that wasn't a problem.
I cut all the parts on the CNC plasma for the hinge. I drilled all the holes to loosely fit 1/2 grade 8 bolts as pins. I flipped it all upside down and started fixturing and tacking the brackets on.
1000013611.jpg

This is when shit started descending in to chaos, I think I got too hot or the bending over on my new back was really tiring me out but this thing would not hinge... The linkage was bound up which made no sense but is likely to happen when you only r&d in CAD.

That's a cool looking deal. Did you end up figuring it out? With the lower linkage dropped below horizontal, it looks like it will actually try to force the stand further into the dome for the first fraction of an inch of movement, before swinging open as you would expect. If your tacked tab on the left was like 3/8" higher on the ring so that linkage was level, might work as expected

I said fuck it and just welded some shock tabs on the outside of the base and ignored all my previous design requirements...
That sucked but I was stressing out, my back was killing me and this thing wasn't getting finished.

I started trying to get the trailer jack I was going to use for the lift mechanism and realized I hadn't put enough thought into that part as the trailer jack (side or top) wind wouldn't work in this amount of space, angle etc. epic fail. I was so frustrated and hot that I raged put and cut the hinges off and called the customer to tell him it the tilt mechanism was OUT! He was bummed and the contractor he was using to install started getting bitchy, understandably.

The following Monday while ranting to a coworker how much of a shit sandwich I made for myself he laughs and says you need a scissor jack :homer:
I was like FUCK ME you are exactly right.

So I got home that night and pulled a scissor jack off my RV to test. The tilt is back on!

1000013792.jpg

I realized the jack arc was gonna be a problem for the drive shaft so I bought a Ford expedition steering shaft off Amazon to use as a telescoping drive shaft. Made a 3/4" stainless drive spud for a RV crank or drill motor adapter welded to a 1" piece of tubing in some two bolt pillow blocks.

I'll stop blabbing and post pix...

1000013848.jpg

1000014161.jpg

1000014172.jpg

1000014170.jpg

That's a cool looking deal. Did you end up figuring it out? With the lower linkage dropped below horizontal, it looks like it will actually try to force the stand further into the dome for the first fraction of an inch of movement, before swinging open as you would expect. If your tacked tab on the left was like 3/8" higher on the ring so that linkage was level, might work as expected
I did, I really think the problem was not lifting symmetrically on the ring, when I had it upside down and just manually trying to lift one side of the ring opposite the hinges it was causing the linkage to reverse over center. With a jack central under the dome that was not a problem.

The contractor requested a 3/4" coupling stubbed up bit was not particularly helpful with height etc. so I built a stand on a 6" pipe cap to allow the 3/4" nipple to be replaced, adjusted etc. with out welding and doesn't modify the UL listed plumbing to hopefully remove me from any liability. 2 1" drain holes were drilled afterwards.
1000013851.jpg

1000013849.jpg

1000014170.jpg

Last edited:
You can see on those other pic of the bottom that allowed for the required clearance to the jack and hopefully the reverse dome inside the pit keeps the water draining away from the jack screw which I liberally coated with fluid film.

The jack base plate (now upside-down) was welded to the bottom of the tank head but the other end was not welded so the thing could be manually lifted/tilted in the event of a failure.

1000014171.jpg

This is a 2 speed Ryobi 18v drill,not super strong but it has no trouble raising it. The hand crank is a better work but is totally doable.

Cool

but why?
The reason (his not mine) is that his house is on a cliff on possum kingdom lake and the wind is notoriously blowing hard and in one direction so this will be installed to prevent the wind from blowing the propane flame out.

Like I said, I'm not sold on the idea and I really think it should swivel 370* to allow it to be tuned to the wind but that wasn't a request...

Customer is always right...

It's my daughter's 4th Birthday today, and I said I would bake her a cake.

For as long as she has known a her colors, she has declared that her favorite color is rainbow.

So I baked her a rainbow cake. Made it from scratch because all the box mixes are terrible.

On a related note. It really sucks for my kid that the gays have hijacked the rainbow. It is a pain in the ass to find rainbow shit that isn't politicized and all about being gay.

20240721_110556.jpg
IMG-20240721-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20240721-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240721-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
It's my daughter's 4th Birthday today, and I said I would bake her a cake.

For as long as she has known a her colors, she has declared that her favorite color is rainbow.

So I baked her a rainbow cake. Made it from scratch because all the box mixes are terrible.

On a related note. It really sucks for my kid that the gays have hijacked the rainbow. It is a pain in the ass to find rainbow shit that isn't politicized and all about being gay.

20240721_110556.jpg
IMG-20240721-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20240721-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240721-WA0001.jpg
That looks awesome

Nice pride cake you baked there! :flipoff2: :rainbow: :laughing:

Seriously looks good man. I'm no cook at all so that's pretty awesome that you can do that kind of stuff for your kid.

Good on you for making your kid a cake.

That’s no shit. When my oldest nephew started school I told him he could pick out a back pack and I’d get it for him. The one he picked out was mostly blue but it had rainbow straps and different colored pockets. I thought it looked pretty good. Never occurred to me anybody’d see anything wrong with it. I showed my wife and she acted weird. Then my sister and brother in law got all huffy that I got their kid a gay backpack. And then the five year old kid who was happy about his back pack five minutes before felt bad about it for dumb reasons he didn’t understand.

Try and sell him on something classy!

Hope you appreciate what I had to go through to get this pic.

stripper fire pit.jpg
We started with a silhouette ring but he didn't/couldn't decide on what he wanted cut out so solid it was...

He's gonna like your idea better.

I would like to figure out exactly how to design the required hinges from a parameter set though, any suggestions?

I'm slow :homer:. I'd just go trial and error like you did tbh. Treefrog would be the guy to talk to about making some sort of parameter based solution, heck could even use the 4 link calculator haha. But that would still end up trial and error so I'm not sure there's anything better than what you're doin

Top Back Refresh