What's new

Random stuff you made.

Ran some cable to the back of my 2020 Ram 3500 to run a receiver mounted winch on the bumper or on the trailer. I setup a heavy amp solenoid under the hood but at least wanted it cleanly mounted.

Made a nifty little stainless bracket to hold it. Already had someone mention that its in the way of the battery... well, so is the whole cross bar its attached to; that has to come out to take the battery out so NBD.

Wired it into the factory up-fitter Aux switches too - that was insanely easy on this truck. Literally just pulled the capped plug, inserted the leads that came in the center console, and then set it up on the dash.

20240609_171618.jpg

20240609_171625.jpg

I am very fortunate to have a buddy very close by with some land, and he lets me shoot there. He never has any targets, and I got sick of shooting pop cans and boxes. lol.

Whipped up a portable texas star. Flat plate is .188 DOMEX, the base is 1.5 X .188 DOM, the vertical tube is 2.00 X .120 DOM and 1.75X.125 HREW. This was a excersize in using what I had on hand, and making stuff work.

Thing is an absolute blast to shoot. I have a few ideas that would be pretty sweet for V2.

1718028454751.png

1718028481455.png

1718028508149.png

1718028526671.png

Ran some cable to the back of my 2020 Ram 3500 to run a receiver mounted winch on the bumper or on the trailer. I setup a heavy amp solenoid under the hood but at least wanted it cleanly mounted.

Made a nifty little stainless bracket to hold it. Already had someone mention that its in the way of the battery... well, so is the whole cross bar its attached to; that has to come out to take the battery out so NBD.

Wired it into the factory up-fitter Aux switches too - that was insanely easy on this truck. Literally just pulled the capped plug, inserted the leads that came in the center console, and then set it up on the dash.

20240609_171618.jpg

20240609_171625.jpg
How does that little box work, is it a current transducer or just a current flow on/off.
I was curious if it would be better with your winch lead under it vs on top.

Edit: the little black part on the battery post not your solenoid.

Been going at these rock climbing holds lately. About filled up the home 30deg wall and can't wait to get this expanded another 16' in the basement. Going for a ceiling and cave type feel I think.

Attachments

• 20240609_160155.jpg
    20240609_160155.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240609_203850.jpg
    20240609_203850.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240609_213702.jpg
    20240609_213702.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240604_195726.jpg
    20240604_195726.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240604_211103.jpg
    20240604_211103.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
I am very fortunate to have a buddy very close by with some land, and he lets me shoot there. He never has any targets, and I got sick of shooting pop cans and boxes. lol.

Whipped up a portable texas star. Flat plate is .188 DOMEX, the base is 1.5 X .188 DOM, the vertical tube is 2.00 X .120 DOM and 1.75X.125 HREW. This was a excersize in using what I had on hand, and making stuff work.

Thing is an absolute blast to shoot. I have a few ideas that would be pretty sweet for V2.

1718028454751.png

1718028481455.png

1718028508149.png

1718028526671.png
Might wanna take it off the car before you shoot. Or are you that good you don't miss? lol

That relay isn't going to hold up to a winch. At best it'll handle ~300 amps for a short while. A winch will be near double that on a hard pull.

Mack uses them to power the accessories, fairly low draw, like the heater and it's a very common failure. I've burned up a couple running a ~30 amp draw electric fan.

Last edited:
How does that little box work, is it a current transducer or just a current flow on/off.
I was curious if it would be better with your winch lead under it vs on top.

Edit: the little black part on the battery post not your solenoid.
This discusses the concern

1718028454751.png

1718028481455.png

1718028508149.png

1718028526671.png
how does the car handle missed shots. :lmao::lmao:

Hencho In Mexico :flipoff2:

It's just building "red iron", very common here for non structural steel, gates, fence etc. however it is what is used in metal building construction. I don't think it is hydro tested but it's available in 20' x 24' lengths in many common sizes.

The 14ga 2x2 is $1.59/ft

Crazy, lucky to find it for $3/ft here. I'm buying second hand scraps just under 8' for $12 each

It is a pontiac vibe... does it matter?
Them are fighting words around my place. :lmao:

That car has been the most reliable thing I have ever owned. It was my dads car, then the family beater. I picked it up cheap, tossed in a new clutch and swapped in a six speed trans, and have beat the shit out of it for almost ten years and 270k miles. Do I want something nicer, maybe. But I like being able to not care about it.

This discusses the concern
Thanks, was unaware of that being limited on amperage flow. I replicated what is on my buddy's stock Power Wagon and it goes through the IBS.

Crazy, lucky to find it for $3/ft here. I'm buying second hand scraps just under 8' for $12 each
And I thought a 20ft stick of 2" 1/4" angle at $120 was expensive.

What is 14 gauge even used for? That's likecar fender thickness.

Them are fighting words around my place. :lmao:

That car has been the most reliable thing I have ever owned. It was my dads car, then the family beater. I picked it up cheap, tossed in a new clutch and swapped in a six speed trans, and have beat the shit out of it for almost ten years and 270k miles. Do I want something nicer, maybe. But I like being able to not care about it.
I have spent the last 3 days in and under a 93 Trans Am so I am a bit jaded.

It was my dad's (be bought it new) as a driver while he restored his 2 66 GTOs.

Alzheimers got him first.

The T/A is going to my son who drove it to his prom and has fond memories... (I did not blacklight the back seat for evidence)...

Thanks, was unaware of that being limited on amperage flow. I replicated what is on my buddy's stock Power Wagon and it goes through the IBS.
I am not saying it won't work, just curious about how to handle the IBS shit when doing stuff like this.
On my buddies DMAX I ran the winch cable to the starter + post and the ground to the starter mount bolt, as a sort of of good enough for them good enough for the dump trailer...

I am not saying it won't work, just curious about how to handle the IBS shit when doing stuff like this.
On my buddies DMAX I ran the winch cable to the starter + post and the ground to the starter mount bolt, as a sort of of good enough for them good enough for the dump trailer...
Well, I just spooled the synthetic line on the winch, then drug the truck backwards out of the shop, with the parking brake on probably a good 30 foot pull, and nothing happened. No smoke, no lights, no anything.

Hell, the solenoid only gained 10 degrees F as I checked it before and after with an IR thermometer. For this intended purposes, on my vehicle, and me being rather respectful of my things when using them... should be plenty fine.

Well, I just spooled the synthetic line on the winch, then drug the truck backwards out of the shop, with the parking brake on probably a good 30 foot pull, and nothing happened. No smoke, no lights, no anything.

Hell, the solenoid only gained 10 degrees F as I checked it before and after with an IR thermometer. For this intended purposes, on my vehicle, and me being rather respectful of my things when using them... should be plenty fine.
In theory I think it would be better to go through the IBS so the engine could use elevated idle/battery charge parameters but burning out one of those sensors might be problematic.

What color is it going to be? All of em? :homer:

:flipoff2:
I am just a little more pregressive than you, and decided to celebrate pride month year round for the last few years..... :rainbow:

But for real, I "built" this jeep in high school (lift kit and body work) and sold it when I went to college. I told myself I would build one again someday, and here we are. With that being said, it will be tangelo pearl by house of kolors. Even picked up the same wheels that the old YJ had.

1718053606057.png

1718053730380.png

Top Back Refresh