What's new

Project: I have no idea what I'm doing (Moved from p4x4)

Found a couple....These aren't the same place, but they're both on Dusy:
gatekeeper.jpg
That's freakin cool. That thing seems like it would be quite a handful out there.

Ever buy a new driveshaft?

I got lazy and just bought a new slip yoke + u joint.

I actually threw those on a couple days ago in case the flooding around here got bad enough that I might have to go help recover any neighbors attempts to cross deep water.

Koh is coming up and I'm now trying to decide what I might want to change before we go...if it ever stops raining around here anyway. Short list:

Highline front fenders
Swap in 5.13 gears
Maaaaybe fix a leaky pinion seal out back
New, moar better, alternator.

If I actually get any one of those done before we leave in a few weeks, I'll feel pretty proud of myself. Not doing recovery this year since the whole family is coming down, so the jeep really only needs to be able to ferry everyone to spectate, take my son and his dirt bike somewhere remote to ride, and bust a night run or two.

Kinda nice finally having a rig I can just hop in and go although at some point I'm going to have to link the front.

What are you geared now and why are you going 5.13 vs 5.38? I’m currently debating 5.13 vs 5.38 and keep going back and forth. They’re about the same price too.

Link the front after KOH. It isn’t THAT bad…since mine is done already.

What are you geared now and why are you going 5.13 vs 5.38? I’m currently debating 5.13 vs 5.38 and keep going back and forth. They’re about the same price too.

Link the front after KOH. It isn’t THAT bad…since mine is done already.
4.88 now, with 700R4 and atlas 4.3:1 tcase. Crawl ratio is currently something like 64:1 and 5.13s will put me at 67:1, but it's not so much crawling that I want the lower gears, it crawls just fine for me as it is. High range stuff in the desert seems to make it work quite a bit harder since I went from 37s to 40s. I picked 5.13s because a guy had a set new in box he was sell for cheap that fit my axles (14b rear, 60 front), otherwise maybe I'd even go for 5.38 since my transmission has a decent overdrive (the only redeeming quality of that pos).

I just know linking will take me a long time because kids, and I have to convince the minister of finance that we need to drop a few more grand on "a jeep that already works just fine".. Also, I'm not looking forward to re-working the steering, frame, and all that other stuff that I'll probably find isn't right when I go down that path. Might wheel it for one more year as it is before tearing into that project.

So. My coworker has an old jeep of mine that he spent tons of money and time on and never wheels it. I finally convinced him to take it to our local park this weekend. You're probably asking yourself how I got my through my whole list of to-dos before going. I didn't.

But I did:
-Replace my shitty cut used procomp tire with a different shitty not-cut used procomp tire. (I'm actually starting to like them)
-Use a brass drift to pound the leaky part of my pinion seal back into shape enough that it leaks much less than it did
-Put it on the trailer.

There was a pretty exciting adventure where I tried to de-bead the old tire myself with no good tire levers. I used my 1998 Jeep™ tire machine with mediocre results.
58CiYQgh.jpg

Anyhow, once that was out of the way, I got my junk loaded up, picked up some friends(one of which had never wheeled in his life) and headed out. Everything was going well until right about the point where I unloaded my junk off the trailer and someone asked me to lead our group. I had two spots in the park I hadn't tried since I finished this thing because kids or wheeling alone, so I made a beeline for those. The first I don't have any pictures of, but it turns out that no, I don't have the belly clearance to make it over. Four tries and an interesting skid plate pirouette later and I decided to go around. Clearly time for 42s :homer:

After that we had some fun rocks to get through before bad decision time:
JxyrI61h.jpg

We finally got to a man made section that I had been eyeballing for quite some time. So far so good:
cRZ4uVLh.jpg

This part was actually pretty fun
3WIItXUh.jpg

It turns out however, that this part was a bad idea
vHEZqOLh.jpg

I had been monkey fawking around on this thing for a little bit, so my buddy filming started to get bored but he just barely caught the front driveline leaving the chat:

Which leads me to my current puzzle: This was a dana 60 up front, it had a 1350 yoke. A few trips back I noticed the driveline and the yoke were working on clearance-ing themselves probably at full droop. I was about to head out on a go-fast desert trip, so I decided to switch to a 1310 yoke and run one of those funky 1350/1310 u-joints that are real hard to find. The 1310 side should have broke, right? Nope, the ujoint snapped at that 1350 side and one of the ears on the driveline broke. I'm not sure which caused the other to break, but I'm thinking maybe the hybrid ujoint was shitty. Next plan is to go back to a 1350 yoke on the axle, but get one of these fancy high clearance ones from Currie if it'll fit: 1350 Yoke Kit - Currie 60/70 Axles - 29-Spline Pinion Then I'll get my favorite driveline shop to make me a nice new beefy front driveline and be happy. Anyone know of any other places that make a similar high clearance yoke just in case this one is proprietary to Currie axles?
Is that Hollister? Looks like it but I don’t recognize the sections in your pics.

The ‘one more year’ of wheeling is going to become three REAL quick. Kids will get older and you can start stockpiling parts now so when you think you’re ready you’ll have less to buy.

Tell the Minister of Finance ‘my friends online say I need this and they’ll think I’m cool.’ I’m sure she will understand. Maybe offer her a good book, an audible subscription, and a few glasses of wine to sweeten the deal.

4.88 now, with 700R4 and atlas 4.3:1 tcase. Crawl ratio is currently something like 64:1 and 5.13s will put me at 67:1, but it's not so much crawling that I want the lower gears, it crawls just fine for me as it is. High range stuff in the desert seems to make it work quite a bit harder since I went from 37s to 40s. I picked 5.13s because a guy had a set new in box he was sell for cheap that fit my axles (14b rear, 60 front), otherwise maybe I'd even go for 5.38 since my transmission has a decent overdrive (the only redeeming quality of that pos).

I just know linking will take me a long time because kids, and I have to convince the minister of finance that we need to drop a few more grand on "a jeep that already works just fine".. Also, I'm not looking forward to re-working the steering, frame, and all that other stuff that I'll probably find isn't right when I go down that path. Might wheel it for one more year as it is before tearing into that project.

Buy every single part you need for linking the front before you touch the Jeep. That way you'll have 75% of what you need when you start.:flipoff2:

I wouldn’t get in a hurry to link it. The leafs are working pretty good for now, beat the piss out of it and enjoy the fruits of your labor for a while.

I want to flog this thing in the desert like a sxs. They way it is right now, it's only a matter of time before one of the frame side brackets for my leafs leaves the chat in the middle of floating whoops.

I want to flog this thing in the desert like a sxs. They way it is right now, it's only a matter of time before one of the frame side brackets for my leafs leaves the chat in the middle of floating whoops.
Interesting timing...

I got lazy and just bought a new slip yoke + u joint.

I actually threw those on a couple days ago in case the flooding around here got bad enough that I might have to go help recover any neighbors attempts to cross deep water.

Koh is coming up and I'm now trying to decide what I might want to change before we go...if it ever stops raining around here anyway. Short list:

Highline front fenders
Swap in 5.13 gears
Maaaaybe fix a leaky pinion seal out back
New, moar better, alternator.

If I actually get any one of those done before we leave in a few weeks, I'll feel pretty proud of myself. Not doing recovery this year since the whole family is coming down, so the jeep really only needs to be able to ferry everyone to spectate, take my son and his dirt bike somewhere remote to ride, and bust a night run or two.

Kinda nice finally having a rig I can just hop in and go although at some point I'm going to have to link the front.
If you do it right you’ll need to have a talk with the Minister of Finance as you’re loading up your broken rig. 🖕😃🖕

Well, KOH prep is officially underway. What does that mean? I've pulled my winch line out and re-spooled it, I might do something about that darn leaky pinion seal, aaaaand uh... there's a 50/50 chance I'll change the oil. :flipoff2:

Oh yes, and the most important part. Some sort of dirt bike rack. My kid just go a 50 this winter and I bought myself a little 125 to chase him around on, and we're bringing both. Ideally I'd like to be able to throw that little 50 on some sort of rack on the back of my jeep, run out to some spot in the desert mostly devoid of the KOH crowd, unload it, and let him ride around. I figure either myself or my wife could ride the 125 out from camp, so hauling it isn't really a priority, just the 50.

I guess I could always buy something like this:
1674229879948.png

But I'm wondering if I could make something smaller and lighter that would be a little more desert bomb-able for whomever drives our jeep out.

Has anyone built any outside the box moto carriers? Was considering trying to make a more simple, tiny version of this that doesn't move... but then again if things get rowdy, the first thing to touch the ground back there would be his tires rather than a rack:
1674230108102.png

You're dealing with a 50, should be real easy to make something much smaller to hold it in.

Is it something like a PW50? You can pick up one of those and set it in the back of the jeep.

You're dealing with a 50, should be real easy to make something much smaller to hold it in.

Is it something like a PW50? You can pick up one of those and set it in the back of the jeep.
Its a ktm adventure mini- they weigh about 80 lbs or so and are pretty easy to pick up, BUT- The cooler and kids and car seats go in the back of the jeep, so it needs to ride outside somehow.

1674241207425.png

Something like this?

1674241207425.png

Simple T-piece coming out of the hitch, couple pockets for the wheels, couple pad eyes to throw a strap over the top to hold it in place. If you want it to fit tighter to the back of the Jeep......angle the pocket for the front tire so it's full lock.

3rd gear on the 50
125 riding next to him guiding him at full speed
GoPro on the handlebars, and the kid’s helmet.
Sell motorcycles and use the money to improve the safety of the jeep in the form of link bars.

I don't know if you have provisions for something like this but.....
20230123_125649.jpg
20230123_125702.jpg
20230123_125721.jpg
20230123_125727.jpg
the second set should be easy enough to make.
I like it. I think I've got most everything I need except for some 2" square tube to go into my hitch.

In the vein of trying something simple first, I was thinking of somthing like this, with the bike frame sitting on the tray and the clamps going over the pegs to lock it down... them maybe run an eye bolt on either side of the plate for tie downs to keep the handle bars from flopping around.

1674511293594.png

I like it. I think I've got most everything I need except for some 2" square tube to go into my hitch.

In the vein of trying something simple first, I was thinking of somthing like this, with the bike frame sitting on the tray and the clamps going over the pegs to lock it down... them maybe run an eye bolt on either side of the plate for tie downs to keep the handle bars from flopping around.

1674511293594.png
You have a good idea, but I don't think that I'd rely on the pegs. I would make it grab the frame somehow.

As a connoseur of hitch racks myself, this pic is exactly what I was going to suggest. The "strap down to a rail" method is fine, but it leaves too much freedom of movement if you're talking about wanting to beat on the jeep with the bike hitched up. The handlebars are going to get acquainted with some sheetmetal purty quickly. The hard fixturing of the frame to a plate of some sort is your best shot , just make sure it's substantial enough to not bend the plate and let the bike loose under some stress.

Or hang the whole bike off the spare pointed upwards and ratchet strap the shit out of it :flipoff2:

Are you REALLY gonna need the spare when you go out for putt putt rides? One could easily bolt something (including the bike itself) to the lug pattern for your spare... Hell, swing it out over the trailer for easier loading at camp...

Are you REALLY gonna need the spare when you go out for putt putt rides? One could easily bolt something (including the bike itself) to the lug pattern for your spare... Hell, swing it out over the trailer for easier loading at camp...
that's an interesting idea.

1674511293594.png

That's pretty slick. I second the idea of clamping the frame down and not the pegs.

Started on the rack last night. Couple more things to do to make it survive me driving in the desert. You can see where I ran out of gas last night and had to switch to flux core.

-rHDRcyhtxKmGO91sdT8kHvQw=w1180-h888-no?authuser=0.jpg

j-hYQFP0v7zm3f8rDPtK8-Huw=w1180-h888-no?authuser=0.jpg

Gonna plate the lower 45 and add more more gusset from the back of the top plate to the upper 45. Then I need to figure out the clamps for the frame/pegs(still not sure which will work better just yet. Current plan for that is to cut out some L shapes out of 1/4 steel, and weld them to the top of a couple big bolts. Then drill some holes so they can slide through and add a large nut and washer on the bottom to tighten everything down.

Also got two eye bolts I'm gonna sink into the front of the dirt bike side for straps to control the bars so they don't flop around.

Top Back Refresh