What's new

Pics of me towing stuff

We have weird trucks & trailers in TX too. Seeing dump trucks with nothing but tires from front to back looks fucked. Even more fucked is seeing one of those pulling a trailer with a 20ft neck and an identical dump body with only 2 axles under it. If that's OK then why the fuck does the truck need 20 tires but 8 is ok on the trailer?

:confused:

Pups are nonexistent in CA. We'd use a truck and transfer setup. I've never seen a truck and transfer up north :laughing:

Saw a truck today with a regular 5th wheel plate. Pulling a stubby side dump. But the side dump frame was longer and had another 5th wheel, then a lightweight end dump. :laughing::confused:

E99A865A-E754-4AE2-8E67-53CC3A80A038.jpeg
972D99B6-C80D-426D-B9F9-09D44A1F9DAA.jpeg
Couple of pieces I moved around locally today. Up to Kneeland.

Pups are nonexistent in CA. We'd use a truck and transfer setup. I've never seen a truck and transfer up north :laughing:

Saw a truck today with a regular 5th wheel plate. Pulling a stubby side dump. But the side dump frame was longer and had another 5th wheel, then a lightweight end dump. :laughing::confused:
Truck and pups are all over CA. Just cause they weren't where you were doesn't mean they aren't all over. Used them on my jobs all the time. Wait till you see transfers up there. They're different than what you're used to. More axles and doubles sometimes. Had those on my jobs in N Utah as well.

Truck and pups are all over CA. Just cause they weren't where you were doesn't mean they aren't all over. Used them on my jobs all the time. Wait till you see transfers up there. They're different than what you're used to. More axles and doubles sometimes. Had those on my jobs in N Utah as well.

I guess I have seen them. But pretty much in my nor cal and cen cal travels with work, they seem pretty rare. No idea about so cal/north Mexico as I avoided it as much as possible :flipoff2:

Man, what a pain in the ass. You'd have to have a very specific job for that to make sense. Long haul, but tight dump area, also with a decent turnaround area near by :laughing:

we mostly stopped using transfers because the drivers around here are so slow and so afraid of dirt roads(park at the asphalt and drop the trailer) that its slightly cheaper to just use super dumps depending on location

we mostly stopped using transfers because the drivers around here are so slow and so afraid of dirt roads(park at the asphalt and drop the trailer) that its slightly cheaper to just use super dumps depending on location

But muh rails :flipoff2:

They do seem to be fading away. Seems like when all the super 10s came from all over for fire clean up, people were like "ya, those are way better" :laughing:

I can't remember the exact numbers, but a super 10 can haul something close to 80% of the wieght of a truck and transfer, and depending on the length, very close to the same as an end dump. The haul has to be pretty long for the transfer setup to be more efficient.

A regular 10 wheeler is usually much shorter though and can be much easier to get into small spots. Obviously everything has its advantages and disadvantages, but the super 10 is by far the best all around. Followed maybe by and end dump and low boy if you have bigger equipment than a pintle trailer can haul.

On a different note, my buddies company went away from having a 10 wheeler and got a roll off truck. They do Excavation and have a few different beds, high sides, low sides, flat deck and are planning on a water tender. They can bring material in, and unload it right out of the trailer with a skid steer vs dumping it on the ground or visa versa where they load right into it. Makes cleanup a lot easier, especially in fancy neighborhoods. He even used a high side to move to his new house :laughing: If they need a bunch of loads of rock, they will still call a trucking company, but for everything else, it's a sweet setup. Especially in CA, where you can't just use old trucks.

On a different note, my buddies company went away from having a 10 wheeler and got a roll off truck. They do Excavation and have a few different beds, high sides, low sides, flat deck and are planning on a water tender. They can bring material in, and unload it right out of the trailer with a skid steer vs dumping it on the ground or visa versa where they load right into it. Makes cleanup a lot easier, especially in fancy neighborhoods. He even used a high side to move to his new house :laughing: If they need a bunch of loads of rock, they will still call a trucking company, but for everything else, it's a sweet setup. Especially in CA, where you can't just use old trucks.
that sounds like a great idea for residential stuff and smaller commercial stuff :smokin:

They are pretty slick with a lot of stuff.

Roll off bins have tons of other uses also. Great for demo work, brush clearing, ect.
Likely also more efficient for California where you are required to have a newer truck, then you can have a couple of newer trucks with guys who just shuttle around roll-offs rather than having to tie up a truck all day for a job.

Aaron Z

Likely also more efficient for California where you are required to have a newer truck, then you can have a couple of newer trucks with guys who just shuttle around roll-offs rather than having to tie up a truck all day for a job.

Aaron Z

Yes, but just one truck for them.

The concept works the same with a larger scale.

0BBB1528-6D18-47F3-B328-6BF844708490.jpeg
2747072F-B9E1-4EBB-87EB-583C7F0CBD16.jpeg
A897D0C0-E008-4516-8E54-9B13C4DD7EC2.jpeg
BD8D22E7-1BF7-4F6E-9025-D1DBAFB4684E.jpeg

Yanked this little thing out of Fort Bragg, Ca to Scotia. Dot granted a permit without taking the blade off, took the corner bits off to get it 13’11”. Double pilot cars. Had to take the avenue of the giants around a construction zone that was necked down. Hauling dozers like this with The blade on the neck, especially this one, there’s no way else, the blade would be in the guard rail. This load is 127570# I weighed it last time I hauled it……

0BBB1528-6D18-47F3-B328-6BF844708490.jpeg
2747072F-B9E1-4EBB-87EB-583C7F0CBD16.jpeg
A897D0C0-E008-4516-8E54-9B13C4DD7EC2.jpeg
BD8D22E7-1BF7-4F6E-9025-D1DBAFB4684E.jpeg

Yanked this little thing out of Fort Bragg, Ca to Scotia. Dot granted a permit without taking the blade off, took the corner bits off to get it 13’11”. Double pilot cars. Had to take the avenue of the giants around a construction zone that was necked down. Hauling dozers like this with The blade on the neck, especially this one, there’s no way else, the blade would be in the guard rail. This load is 127570# I weighed it last time I hauled it……
Nice little dozer haul and awesome to know weights.

So funny that you can haul near 130k lbs if you pay some money for a piece of paper, but the rest of the state is limited to 80k :laughing::homer:

Is that nearing 9 axle territory? What's the limit on a 16 tire?

So funny that you can haul near 130k lbs if you pay some money for a piece of paper, but the rest of the state is limited to 80k :laughing::homer:

Is that nearing 9 axle territory? What's the limit on a 16 tire?
Yes, I lied about the weight on the permit, not much, it would spec out if I had the Cat towards the rear of the trailer, but no way is that blade going on the deck, to many things it needs to fit over. Dot around here doesn’t weigh anything really, they throw a tape measure in it, and that’s pretty much it.

Yes, I lied about the weight on the permit, not much, it would spec out if I had the Cat towards the rear of the trailer, but no way is that blade going on the deck, to many things it needs to fit over. Dot around here doesn’t weigh anything really, they throw a tape measure in it, and that’s pretty much it.

Don't you have to put the machine model on the permit? Which would give them a pretty accurate weight. :laughing:

I've always heard 8's were supposed to have the blade removed, but have never seen it. Pain in the ass for what it is.

Don't you have to put the machine model on the permit? Which would give them a pretty accurate weight. :laughing:

I've always heard 8's were supposed to have the blade removed, but have never seen it. Pain in the ass for what it is.
I just planned on crossing that bridge if need be. There’s so many knuckleheads around here that sneak things around at 3am. I make the best effort to be legal, and that makes them happy and don’t bother me.

I just planned on crossing that bridge if need be. There’s so many knuckleheads around here that sneak things around at 3am. I make the best effort to be legal, and that makes them happy and don’t bother me.
Stop giving legitimacy to the system. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh