What's new

Patey's Scrappy

I was hoping I could see it at High Sierra Fly in at Deadcow but Im going to bet he's going to make Oshkosh. Man so impressive...

I've watched every one of his build videos, hes inspiring and discouraging at the same time cause of how much he can accomplish. Id give anything to have that kind of focus.
do you fly?

I watched the flight chops video test flying his RV14 build and he said that it's supposed to be next to scrappy at the garmin booth at airventure.

Absolutely one of the most awesome shows I have ever been to. Everytime I go I am amazed at all the cool shit to see. You would need most of the week to see it all. We hit the military exhibits the two sat air shows maybe take a helicopter ride the day we go. By that time the kids are dead.

It’s crazy how that week that airport becomes the busiest runway in the world. They control over 25,000 movements over the course of the s
if you watched v22s a few years ago those were my brother's aircraft.

I wish I had the cash that he used to build scrappy. Mike said he had over 1,000,000 into draco not including his time. He’s got to have 3-4x that into scrappy. Then the time to build this putting off the stuff you do to make a living.

I kinda doubt it,

The PT-6 in Draco would be a very large chunk of that change. The purchase price of the Wilga itself is also significant.

I see lots of time in Scrappy, but not crap loads of money in the context. Despite his spectactular results, his methods in the fuselage were quite crude and low-buck.

I kinda doubt it,

The PT-6 in Draco would be a very large chunk of that change. The purchase price of the Wilga itself is also significant.

I see lots of time in Scrappy, but not crap loads of money in the context. Despite his spectactular results, his methods in the fuselage were quite crude and low-buck.
I agree and disagree.

The fuselage work was very low budget, even concerning for a non airframe trained guy as myself.

The wings are $$$$$$ machining all those large billets to slivers of aluminum burned some cash.
The amount of carbon and epoxy resin are also staggering I am sure but the real cost is man hours.

Not really calling my shot on pricing but this level of R&D is mega bucks.

The wings are $$$$$$ machining all those large billets to slivers of aluminum burned some cash.

but the real cost is man hours.

That's where I see all the money being spent. Can you imagine how much money he tossed at just all those billet wing parts? I honestly can't even wrap my head around it....

I'm sure he works for free on his own project but I highly doubt all the people in the background are. That guy had some crazy "toy" money to play with!

That's where I see all the money being spent. Can you imagine how much money he tossed at just all those billet wing parts? I honestly can't even wrap my head around it....

I'm sure he works for free on his own project but I highly doubt all the people in the background are. That guy had some crazy "toy" money to play with!
That's another part of his genius, since he actually builds shit so he knows the struggles.
It's very cool watching an engineer design and execute his vision, road blocks be damned.

And from watching some besttugs.com videos it doesn't seem like their business is short on cash, don't forget that all started when they sold their (him and his brothers) engineering firm.

That's another part of his genius, since he actually builds shit so he knows the struggles.
It's very cool watching an engineer design and execute his vision, road blocks be damned.

And from watching some besttugs.com videos it doesn't seem like their business is short on cash, don't forget that all started when they sold their (him and his brothers) engineering firm.
Could you imagine their engineering rates?? Obviously you get what you pay for, and based on his solidworks glimpses for scrappy, I'd probably vomit seeing that quote.

Jealous. I think this event has been added to my bucket list at this point, I need to see what it's all about

it’s a awesome event and that’s a understatement. I believe close to 500,000 people attend it. Be prepared to either try and find a place to camp, maybe get lucky and rent a air bnb a year out or try and rent a hotel room 90 miles away. Everything within 90 miles is booked this week a year out it’s crazy. The amount of money this generates for the local economy is staggering. It is completely worth the trouble.

A lot of the locals who arnt into this take this week and go on vacation. They air bnb their house it pays for the vacation and make some extra money.

Last edited:
Could you imagine their engineering rates?? Obviously you get what you pay for, and based on his solidworks glimpses for scrappy, I'd probably vomit seeing that quote.
That sort of stuff is way outside of my knowledge base but being in the industry I am the $ wouldn't surprise me that much.
That level of enginerding takes a lot of knowledge of both SW and real world shit. All these loads, dynamic/static and calculations of one of a airframe that is so far from the norm takes some serious chops.

That's insane, sounds like an event best experienced with someone that knows their way around, good notes. Even though it'll probably be a year or two on my end, I need to make it out there.

Here's another video I stumbled upon about Scrappy with people there talking to him. Great stuff, and starting right around 7:45 in the vid, he extends and flattens all the wing tidbits a few times. So sweet.

Spoiler alert... not an MP video.. but an interview with him at Oshkosh with Scrappy.

and he talks about military work that he can't video. Now I know where the money comes from.
I wouldn’t doubt it’s some kinda of small stol aircraft. It seems to be what he’s passionate about. This could be the reason he spent so much time and effort designing and building those slats and that wing. Scrappy is probably the test bed for that wing design to be used on a different chassis.

and he talks about military work that he can't video. Now I know where the money comes from.
I wouldn’t doubt it’s some kinda of small stol aircraft. It seems to be what he’s passionate about. This could be the reason he spent so much time and effort designing and building those slats and that wing. Scrappy is probably the test bed for that wing design to be used on a different chassis.
:usa:

The money comes from building and selling businesses most of his life. He and his twin brother are hustlers with ADD and an addiction to flying. Dad told the neighbors his kids could build them a deck when they were 12 or something, they started a company called Deck-It and it took off. They had to hire a 16 year old kid or have their mom drive their tool van to the job sites. He wrote a book about the whole thing.

Top Back Refresh