What's new

Patey's Scrappy

Thanks. I should have phrased that differently. I've seen enough slats in use to basically understand what they do. And I have never seen any of them with a chord length this long. These things have a massive amount of surface area per foot of length, but they're short enough I'm kinda assuming 2 per wing. Maybe the massive size will allow him to get by with one per wing, though. Proper wings stall from the fuselage outward, so you might be able to just throw these on the base of the wing, and never have to worry about the outer part of the wing stalling?
I have no idea

Thanks. I should have phrased that differently. I've seen enough slats in use to basically understand what they do. And I have never seen any of them with a chord length this long. These things have a massive amount of surface area per foot of length, but they're short enough I'm kinda assuming 2 per wing. Maybe the massive size will allow him to get by with one per wing, though. Proper wings stall from the fuselage outward, so you might be able to just throw these on the base of the wing, and never have to worry about the outer part of the wing stalling?
I understand even less than you, but the continuing question you’re giving me is how much of each will he keep. Surely both ends will get trimmed to be confident in the layup, but the resultant length is another factor in the math and count of slats.

Standard Cub wingspan is 35 feet or so. I did not catch how long those lengths were but my assumption is we’re looking at three retractable slats for each wing. I think that explains why the cord is long as noted. While Draco did not have retractable slats I imagine his layout will be very similar end of the slats will make up nearly the entire leading edge of the wing.

I am certainly little biased because retractable slats in my opinion where the obvious answer to question/needs raised in his first video on wing design. Certainly not something you’re going to see on the average GA plane. I feel the design of his slat in that video is only making me feel stronger in that opinion.

I feel we are also going to see some pretty fancy Fowler type flaps.

Standard Cub wingspan is 35 feet or so. I did not catch how long those lengths were but my assumption is we’re looking at three retractable slats for each wing. I think that explains why the cord is long as noted. While Draco did not have retractable slats I imagine his layout will be very similar end of the slats will make up nearly the entire leading edge of the wing.

I am certainly little biased because retractable slats in my opinion where the obvious answer to question/needs raised in his first video on wing design. Certainly not something you’re going to see on the average GA plane. I feel the design of his slat in that video is only making me feel stronger in that opinion.

I feel we are also going to see some pretty fancy Fowler type flaps.
For those of us who have little or no idea

I've been thinking for some time that this plane is technically amazing, has a lot of thought into appearance, but is still gawky looking. That cowling changed all that. Even without the wing, this thing is suddenly beautiful. And yeah, I know he had the cowling completed last video, too. But it really hit me in the first few seconds of this video when he's standing in front of it in the shop.

Are all plane fuel tanks put together like that? Seems like a lot of leak potential there. I had though they had bladders like racing cells.

What are they sealing the joints with?

Are all plane fuel tanks put together like that? Seems like a lot of leak potential there. I had though they had bladders like racing cells.

Its pretty common to be built like that.

Some applications use bladders. Others use a separate metal tank.

A couple videos back he went over the two sealers he's using, one thick and the other more liquid. I don't remember, but he gave brands. Same video he was showing the .050" shims...

Dude I've been watching him build this thing from very early on, that wing episode he put out last night is the most jaw dropping work I've seen yet (and with what he does, that's saying something). That wing is INSANE. I can't wait for the 2-3 hour version he alludes too, I want to know more.

200.gif

I totally agree, the other stuff has been amazing, but for the most part its just making something bigger, stronger or lighter. This was just incredible. Did not see that coming one bit.

Retractable slats and fowler flaps…..

I’m a little bit puzzled on the need for the dual element slats. The screenshot of the flow analysis on a single downward moving element doesn’t really match our jet’s flow. Of course that is only the very very surface of a pretty deep subject.

The jet has a number of features to put brakes on the entire flap or slat operation if anything becomes asymmetric. Wondering if he has anything in mind for that. Of course all of his parts look great.

I kind of think he’s over the top for the sake of being over the top which is fine.

I'm not experienced in the matter but at least the way he talked about it seemed to make sense. It sounded like he started with a single large front moving slat, but found that as the scale of that single front slat increased to put the center of lift where he wanted, it didn't increase the size of that high speed air stream over the top by much. Then as he split that large single element into the two smaller slats (helping achieve the same center of lift), he was able to notably increase the size of that high speed air stream over the top helping it stay attached to the wing longer (assuming the models are accurate of course). Good question on the ability to do something in a shit hits the fan moment, I'll be curious to hear if he does.

I mean of course he's the type to go over the top as he tries to break records with everything he builds from what I've seen. They also compete in STOL competitions, so even if this plane isn't built for that it's definitely something he seems to hold in very high regard and designs around.

so even if this plane isn't built for that it's definitely something he seems to hold in very high regard and designs around.
At least with this he won't be stuck with a plane that tops out at 80MPH. I think he's trying to keep the STOL capability's while not sacrificing speed. I mean, slow planes are fun till you need to go somewhere like AK to Oshkosh........

slow planes are fun till you need to go somewhere like AK to Oshkosh........
21 days until Oshkosh!!! I’m super stoked we live a hour away and will attend the show for a day or two. Me and my kids love seeing all the planes, hopefully scrappy will be there to see the progress first hand.

One of the pits we work in is inline with one of the runways. It’s awesome to see all the planes comming in. They are literally stacked up 1/2 mile apart for the two days leading up to the show.

It also looks like the A10’s will be performing close air support drills during a few of the air shows!

I have been watching Mike for years

unfortunately, he will not live long enough to teach everyone all he knows about aviation

he can live to 100, and there will be knowledge lost in there

Inspiring guy, that is for sure

Top Back Refresh