What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

Need apply more brisance.

Do they ever use stuff other than AN to break rock anymore? Probably crazy expensive if they did anyway.

Yeah but it’s super pricey. Wirtigen is advertising a continuous miner. It’s a big milling machine used to grind layers of rock off. I can’t imagine that is anywhere as close to what blasting costs per ton.

My rock uses about 1 pound of Anfo per ton of rock blasted. They charge me about $1.40 a ton to drill and blast the stone all in. Pretty cheap way to get it free.

this

few sacks of aluminum powder would prolly quicken that ANFO up a little
maybe some nitromethane subbed in for a portion of the fuel oil but that'd prolly be even more retarded expensive
You don’t want a quick blast when busting rock. You want a nice slow bang to get it all to break.

Yeah but it’s super pricey. Wirtigen is advertising a continuous miner. It’s a big milling machine used to grind layers of rock off. I can’t imagine that is anywhere as close to what blasting costs per ton.
NY guy was talking 'hotter explosives' not 'non-explosive options'
You don’t want a quick blast when busting rock. You want a nice slow bang to get it all to break.
was thinking a faster shock wave to get it to shatter the shit rather than just pushing the looser material up and off the hard rock below

You should start shipping rock to california... ill bet it could almost be profitable at the prices I paid today.

Almost $90/ ton for 1-1/2 drain rock.

You should start shipping rock to california... ill bet it could almost be profitable at the prices I paid today.

Thats insane price, were you buying from a landscaper or a quarry? Our local concrete guys are $18/yard for common stuff (road base, 3/4 washed, 1-1/2 washed) but the nursery closest to me is $55/yard for 3/4 washed.

Thats insane price, were you buying from a landscaper or a quarry? Our local concrete guys are $18/yard for common stuff (road base, 3/4 washed, 1-1/2 washed) but the nursery closest to me is $55/yard for 3/4 washed.
Landscape supply place... but it was around $29/ ton 2 years ago there.

Landscape supply place... but it was around $29/ ton 2 years ago there.

Fuel was 1/3 what it costs now and labor was probably $5/hr cheaper 2 years ago. Call your local concrete plant or aggregate producer I'll bet they are closer to that number.

Would it help if the bottom section of the hole was slightly larger? There are drilling tools called underreamers, they go down a small borehole then you deploy the cutters once you get to your desired depth and open the size of the borehole up. I'm not sure that they are made in 3.5" or even for your type of drilling.

Would it help if the bottom section of the hole was slightly larger? There are drilling tools called underreamers, they go down a small borehole then you deploy the cutters once you get to your desired depth and open the size of the borehole up. I'm not sure that they are made in 3.5" or even for your type of drilling.

Bottoms of the holes have the best breakage. It’s the tops that cause the issues. They can only fill within 5’ of the surface. Then the top 5’ gets filled in with 3/8” chips to stem it . It helps hold the charge down long enough to push the rock.

Bottoms of the holes have the best breakage. It’s the tops that cause the issues. They can only fill within 5’ of the surface. Then the top 5’ gets filled in with 3/8” chips to stem it . It helps hold the charge down long enough to push the rock.
I was thinking if you could fit more explosives down there, but leave the top of the hole 3.5" to put the ⅜ chips in maybe it would break up the surface better.

But I'm just making uneducated guesses.

So a rough estimate for hauling in rock/gravel/sand. Its roughly 2000mi (Wisconsin Dells to Trader Joes in Rocklin, both spots chosen based on how I perceive you and Op :flipoff2:).

$1900 in fuel
4 days transport
2000mi of deadhead back

10k/load to transport. How many you want? :laughing:

So a rough estimate for hauling in rock/gravel/sand. Its roughly 2000mi (Wisconsin Dells to Trader Joes in Rocklin, both spots chosen based on how I perceive you and Op :flipoff2:).

$1900 in fuel
4 days transport
2000mi of deadhead back

10k/load to transport. How many you want? :laughing:
Those hammers I got $7050 to ship them from Orosi ca to up by me. 40,000# one full step deck.

Old school rock breaking. Couldn't get close enough to see the breaker model, but it was being powered off of the belt pulley of a Keck-Gonnerman 30-60

Old school rock breaking. Couldn't get close enough to see the breaker model, but it was being powered off of the belt pulley of a Keck-Gonnerman 30-60

All those crushers at the steam shows makes me nervous as hell. No gaurds on anything. People hand tossing stones in, just waiting for one to get ejected and hit the person. Yes this is a hobby crusher but it still can kill or maim you in a instant. These guys do not have a healthy respect for these machines.

All those crushers at the steam shows makes me nervous as hell. No gaurds on anything. People hand tossing stones in, just waiting for one to get ejected and hit the person. Yes this is a hobby crusher but it still can kill or maim you in a instant. These guys do not have a healthy respect for these machines.
Not the same but similar. I could watch a tub grinder all day, see 1 stump come flying out and I can watch it all day from a little further back:lmao:

Did new liners and mantle on both 300 and 400 on Friday. No pics just work. 300 liner had moved a bit, see what happens next time. Trying to convince them to put a liner in the spare housing we have so it is ready to go and just do the mantle. Rocks regularly fly out of the 300, sometimes the jaw too, especially when the under belt stops.

My rock uses about 1 pound of Anfo per ton of rock blasted. They charge me about $1.40 a ton to drill and blast the stone all in. Pretty cheap way to get it free.
The Wirtgen is what they use around here when they hit rock on site jobs.
No more ripping etc.

They are the standard around here. All the big contractors use them now.
They just leveled a hill behind our shop with one, I should have got pix...

They also use them up north in the panhandle to mine gypsum, terrible fucking job that is look like you rolled in chalk all day LOL.

This is just one if the contractors.

Another article more info.

Last edited:
Lol this is the kind of friends I have. What do you have that will pull this home. :lmao:
ED3B127E-3E7A-4BCD-BA4C-53EF43FC74C0.jpeg

This is just one if the contractors.

Another article more info.
Over the course of a year or two I watched them level Ranger Hill on I20 with those machines. Until then I had never seen anything like that and thought it was slick as shit. The first few times I saw them I was thinking they were road eaters and sombody figured out a new way to use it. Once I saw one semi up close I could tell they were completely different animals. Technology is pretty cool sometimes.

Top Back Refresh