What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

I love how the boom truck blows dust into those "P5" bearings, repeat customer for sure!
I'm sure a replacement spherical roller bearing like that is worth more than the combined harvested organs of every single person in the video.

I'm sure a replacement spherical roller bearing like that is worth more than the combined harvested organs of every single person in the video.
The part one of that video shows them making a new pitman. The donor steel they used was horrible. The pitmans in my jaws are forged then turned. They are quite a bit bigger than the one they fixed.

Pitman is the lobey cam eccentric shaft dealieo, right?

I just can't help but try and picture steering linkage parts when you say that.

E7A2886D-D322-47E6-8855-A33FCFE2A8C3.jpeg

New attachment purchase. I bought 2 40,000 Ft lb surestrike hammers. Wired the cash today so hopefully they get shipped out next week. They are all they way out in California.
5010A0ED-9817-412A-8B86-DD5BBF8150C2.jpeg

These are different than you normal hydraulic hammer. They just use a cylinder to lift a 8,000 lb chunk of steel 8’ and let it drop. The cylinder out runs the weigh so it just free falls to impact.

They are slow but they have huge hits. There is no million dollar parts in them like the hydraulic ones do.

I called up surestrike to see what size excavator I need to put them on and just asked what a new one cost. This size they are 158,000 each. Crazy.

I’m gonna rip the stick off my current hammer excavator and mount this guy right to the boom. I’ll use the bucket circuit to run the hammer. This way I can haul the whole thing in one move vs taking it off each time. To put it on the end of the stick you need a 110,000 pound hoe. My 50,000 9030b will handle it just fine on the end of the boom.

I’m gonna rip the stick off my current hammer excavator and mount this guy right to the boom. I’ll use the bucket circuit to run the hammer. This way I can haul the whole thing in one move vs taking it off each time. To put it on the end of the stick you need a 110,000 pound hoe. My 50,000 9030b will handle it just fine on the end of the boom.
if you've got a machine with a thumb circuit, stick the leftovers onto it for triple jointed long reach shenanigans

New attachment purchase. I bought 2 40,000 Ft lb surestrike hammers. Wired the cash today so hopefully they get shipped out next week. They are all they way out in California.
5010A0ED-9817-412A-8B86-DD5BBF8150C2.jpeg

These are different than you normal hydraulic hammer. They just use a cylinder to lift a 8,000 lb chunk of steel 8’ and let it drop. The cylinder out runs the weigh so it just free falls to impact.

They are slow but they have huge hits. There is no million dollar parts in them like the hydraulic ones do.

I called up surestrike to see what size excavator I need to put them on and just asked what a new one cost. This size they are 158,000 each. Crazy.

so when do we add the diesel injector to make it hit at 80K lb fts?

like a pile driving hammer

Imagine it doesn't really work for a breaker though, you'd end up with a bunch of dry fires trying to knock the end off the hammer
Yeah you dry fire a sure strike and there is shit on the ground :homer:

I just looked up the cyclic rate - 15 blows per minute.
Not bad considering what a wallop they deliver.
That's badass - congratulations :beer:

EDIT: and cowbell is like jetboat - we need more :flipoff2:
I really don’t think this is a congratulatory situation. If I would get my blasting figured out I wouldn’t need a hammer like this .

The guys selling them said they spent 2 years to figure out how to get a good shot with no oversized. They said they figured it out and haven’t used the hammers in a year.

I really don’t think this is a congratulatory situation. If I would get my blasting figured out I wouldn’t need a hammer like this .

The guys selling them said they spent 2 years to figure out how to get a good shot with no oversized. They said they figured it out and haven’t used the hammers in a year.
As in you need better blasters, a better plan on which areas of the pit to blast, or?

Aaron Z

As in you need better blasters, a better plan on which areas of the pit to blast, or?

Aaron Z
Need to get deeper. The surface rock is all cracked. So when we shoot it some just lift up and fall over vs getting blown the hell up .

Need to get deeper. The surface rock is all cracked. So when we shoot it some just lift up and fall over vs getting blown the hell up .
So you need to get down to where the rock is solid rather than fractured so it contains the force of the blast better and uses more of the energy of the blast on splitting rock rather than lifting rock?
That would mean more time with the drill before they come to set charges?

Aaron Z

So you need to get down to where the rock is solid rather than fractured so it contains the force of the blast better and uses more of the energy of the blast on splitting rock rather than lifting rock?
That would mean more time with the drill before they come to set charges?

Aaron Z
Nah drills the same. The top 30 feet has all the natural seams. Get deeper and it starts becoming one large stone. But to get deeper you need to open the top up more. It’s a catch 22. It’s a tough business for the smaller guys. Sometimes you just need to put your big boy pants on and just force it.

A correction to the above post. There could even be less drilling deeper because of the solid stone. We may be able to open the pattern up a bit right now we drill a 8x7 pattern. With better stone we possibly could bump it up to a 8x8 and still get the breakage we need.

Need apply more brisance.

Do they ever use stuff other than AN to break rock anymore? Probably crazy expensive if they did anyway.

How deep do you blast? 30 feet? How deep is your pit currently? How deep will you be able to go eventually?

Nah drills the same. The top 30 feet has all the natural seams. Get deeper and it starts becoming one large stone. But to get deeper you need to open the top up more. It’s a catch 22. It’s a tough business for the smaller guys. Sometimes you just need to put your big boy pants on and just force it.
Do like they do here and go in sideways. Leave the top alone and have a nice cave when you're done.

A correction to the above post. There could even be less drilling deeper because of the solid stone. We may be able to open the pattern up a bit right now we drill a 8x7 pattern. With better stone we possibly could bump it up to a 8x8 and still get the breakage we need.
So you need to clear out more of the fractured rock "overburden" that is the upper layer of your pit to get to the more solid rock which should fracture better?

Then, as you get down lower in your pit (after widening the top to keep the right angle of repose for the fractured rock to avoid landslides) you should be able to be more efficient with the blasting because the rock will be solid and will transmit the force of the blast better?

Aaron Z

Need apply more brisance.

Do they ever use stuff other than AN to break rock anymore? Probably crazy expensive if they did anyway.
this

few sacks of aluminum powder would prolly quicken that ANFO up a little
maybe some nitromethane subbed in for a portion of the fuel oil but that'd prolly be even more retarded expensive

Top Back Refresh