What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

Asphalt is not very good in a jaw. You need to have sharp jaws a lot of hp to run asphalt. Even then you almost have to wait until subzero to get a decent product out of the jaw.

What you really need is a impactor. That would make a great product in one pass for you.

had to look up what an impactor crusher is. never seen one before. looks violent

had to look up what an impactor crusher is. never seen one before. looks violent

They are very. Easy to get a headache in a few minutes down by the big one at the last quarry I was at near San Antonio. That one ran on twin 500 hp motors.

Good for comparatively softer limestone with a lot of sticky clay for self-cleaning.

Asphalt is not very good in a jaw. You need to have sharp jaws a lot of hp to run asphalt. Even then you almost have to wait until subzero to get a decent product out of the jaw.

What you really need is a impactor. That would make a great product in one pass for you.
imagine a jaw would do better on asphalt in the dead of winter, early in the morning

ETA: better than in full sun 110F where it'd be like trying to crush chunky peanut butter

imagine a jaw would do better on asphalt in the dead of winter, early in the morning

ETA: better than in full sun 110F where it'd be like trying to crush chunky peanut butter
Yeah we do it in the winter. I don’t have a impactor. So a jaw and cone it is. Neither likes blacktop when it’s warm. It just mushes into pancakes. Mix 50% concrete in it and it crushes just fine. The concrete on asphalt action tears it up.

They are very. Easy to get a headache in a few minutes down by the big one at the last quarry I was at near San Antonio. That one ran on twin 500 hp motors.

Good for comparatively softer limestone with a lot of sticky clay for self-cleaning.
They work great for non abrasive materials. Everything I crush is abrasive as fuck :mad3:. The only way I would get a impactor is if it had a 6x20 screen before it to clean all the fines out and make the jaw bust it up into sub 6” pieces.

They work great for non abrasive materials. Everything I crush is abrasive as fuck :mad3:. The only way I would get a impactor is if it had a 6x20 screen before it to clean all the fines out and make the jaw bust it up into sub 6” pieces.

That's a weird way to run an impactor. If I scapled the fines and had 6"- rock I'm probably putting it into a cone unless you want really fine rock. Sticky shit or feeding 24" rock in and getting 1" rock out with a ton of fines are the only reasons I would pick an HSI (but I'm not an aggregate guy).

That's a weird way to run an impactor. If I scapled the fines and had 6"- rock I'm probably putting it into a cone unless you want really fine rock. Sticky shit or feeding 24" rock in and getting 1" rock out with a ton of fines are the only reasons I would pick an HSI (but I'm not an aggregate guy).
It would be fed the 6”x whatever we were making. 3/4” or 1 1/4”. Just the fines screened off beforing entering the impactor. The only reason for the impactor is it can handle the wood and other debris commonly found in the recycle pile. Like I said above cones do not like asphalt they just make pancakes when it’s warm out .

This is the right one wrong screen box.

All the material that comes out the impactor would be run across a magnet and recycled back into the start of the screen box to close the circuit.

This is how we would have to run it in our next of the woods. If you ran a impactor as a primary one blue round stone would break all the bars on the rotor. They are so fucking hard around here. You can tell the problem ones as they look wet all the time. I have had 30” stone popping 10’ out of my jaw because they were so hard.

Makes sense, I keep forgetting everything you do is on wheels so swapping crushers around for different jobs is part of the game.

Those lippmans are interesting. Single drive motor even on the the bigger ones.

Makes sense, I keep forgetting everything you do is on wheels so swapping crushers around for different jobs is part of the game.

Those lippmans are interesting. Single drive motor even on the the bigger ones.
Yeah it’s sad I hardly ever set shit up twice the same way it seems. :barf:

Little plant today is breaker screen closed circuit cone screen plant. It’s making 3/4” dense base. 1 1/2” clear stone 3/4” clear stone and man sand.

Big plant is jaw twin screen big cone screen. That guy is making screened sand 3/4” clear stone and man sand.

Everytime we set up its for maximum production of the primary material. This is one of the reasons why I enjoy this so much. There are so many options and ways to set it up it’s fun figuring it out.

I'd love to know more about how the wash plant works.
it's really neat
took me a while to really figure it out after seeing it in person
Computers, man!

So, ignoring the gold collecting stuff, it's got like a sluice that all the sand gets washed through. The big grains drop out first, and the real fine silt drops out last.
It's got these little paddle wheels and computer opened valves at multiple distances along the sluice trough thing. The paddles spin in the water and when enough sand builds up that it stops the paddle for that gradation? of sand it opens that dump valve for a set length of time.

The computer keeps track of how long each one has been open, and checks it against what you're trying to make. There's two (actually three, but the third row is not hooked up) sets of dump valves, they all dump into two (again actually three) separate troughs, the ones for the "good" sand and the ones for "everything else" get dumped into two (not actually three this time) separate screw conveyors to be piled in separate piles.

Every time the paddle thingie stops the computer decides weather to dump that particular volume of sand in the "good" or the "everything else" in order to both keep the machine going (if it is dumping in the 'everything else' trough) and to produce the proper mixture of grain sizes in the good sand (which is the paper printout graph thing that there's been a few pictures of ITT)

486 has a really close explanation of how the classifier portion works. The only thing he got wrong was the valves stay open until the sand level drops enough to let the paddle sensors start spinning again. The computer does fuzzy math to decide where to dump the sand in the good trough or bad trough. It’s a super simple machine but it crazy how well it works. Computers make all the cool shit happen.

I’ll grab some pictures of the washplant next time I got it fired up and do a picture explanation of how the process works and what we are all making. It’s a pretty sweet machine just lots of moving parts that is always wet and covered in sand.

I wanna see the mixy-box end of things, didn't get to see that
where the water meets the grit
and how it gains speed

I'm imagining some kind of venturi ejector pump in order to avoid having sand go through a pump.

Panz how's your mascot doing? you haven't posted any pics of him lately.

Looking thru the Dogs of Irate thread and seeing WaterH pics of his bulldogs made me think of your little buddy.

Today he is hunting small children.
2E294AE3-FD5B-4F29-B075-D08FF1CE567D.jpeg

Panz are all those your boys or some friends of the kids in there too?

Your bulldog cracks me up.. always with the tongue hangin out. :laughing:
Nah 2 are mine 2 are my brothers. Mine are the left and right most kids. The one in the red is the one that goes boxing with me.

As for the bulldogs tongue it hardly fits in his mouth. He has to fold it up accordion style to get it completely in there. When he does that he cannot breath out his mouth. Being a English bulldog means you drew multiple short sticks in life :lmao::flipoff2:

How the washplant works. I don’t have a cone hooked into my wash plant so the first step is to crush the feed material to the correct size. I usually crush the natural gravel down to a 1.75” size to make some 1 1/2” stone. Today’s sand was crushed down to .875 because we ran out of 1 1/2” and I stole it while we were crushing it.
4FFB56D6-B0CE-4699-AC50-E80113F95F25.jpeg

So because I wash so many different things my washplant is set up a little differently than most. I have a small hopper that the material we are running gets dumped in. This feeder I can adjust the belt speed to meter the flow rate. Typically in sand and gravel we feed at a 225-250t/hour.

The feeder drops it onto the feed conveyor which brings it up top the plant. This drops it into the slurry box which is basically 3 2” water lines adding tons of water to get the material to form a slurry. The faster you can get the material into a slurry form the better the plant runs.
C3650010-DFC5-408F-BD97-B2CD4E2EE285.jpeg

The slurry hits the screen box and gets sorted. The top deck makes my 1 1/2” stone. I have a .875” opening screen on this deck. So everything larger than .875 goes straight off the end into the center bin.
6388D762-E7DA-4753-A8D0-BE7F417AA6EE.jpeg

Next deck down is a combination of 7/16” and 1/4” screens to make the proper 3/4” concrete stone spec. The guys we sell to for concrete stone want 33% larger than 1/2” 33% 1/2-3/8” and 33% 3/8” x 1/4”. Once you figure out the screen combo this isn’t too hard to hold this spec.

The third deck down is the bane of my washing. The fucking buckshot. The other concrete guys who buy it want 25-35% of stone passing the number 4 screen. But no more than 10% passing a 16 screen and 5% a 30 screen. So course clean stone. The 25-35 is damn near impossible to hold unless I’m in babysitting mode and not in the loaders running the machine. This spec is so tough that I have a sop for how we pile it up and then how the truck drivers load it up as to not fuck the gradation up on it. This shit when piled up likes to segregate causing missed specs.

The stove bins. Left is 3/4” center is 1.5” and right is buckshot or 3/8” stone.
43B7CE48-B9B3-4855-AA19-3D34C45AFDA9.jpeg

So the bottom deck consists of 9/32 5/16 and maybe 1/4” depending on the material and it’s source. So everything that passes through that screen drops into the slurry tank and gets pumped up top the classifier.
27634A22-7DB9-42EF-BC4B-54C06FFB915F.jpeg

It’s crazy to think about that pump pumping 100-130t/hr of a sand and water slurry and it survives. That is 5-6 big dumptruck loads of sand every hour. The slurry travels in a 6” rubber/plastic line up to the tank.

The slurry gets dropped into one end of the tank. The classifiers job is to tear the sand apart into 9 different sands. The sand on the end of the tank it drops into is really course and the sand that falls at the far end extremely fine.
03B834C3-A794-44A9-8A9C-A19409555132.jpeg

The bottom of the tank has 9 stations, each station has 3 valves and a paddle sensor in it. To answer 486’s question above all the valves are, Is a 6” hole in the bottom with a rubber plug like that in your toilet that gets pushed down by a hydraulic cylinder to seal it up.
0A5D2B68-D7D4-4C7C-A9DA-1836F6A9103B.jpeg

So as it’s running the valves are closed until the paddle sensor stops spinning because the sand built up high enough . The computer decides which of the 3 valves to open until the sensor starts spinning again signaling the sand level dropped. The computer knows the gradation of the sand that comes out each station. It blends all 9 stations back together to build the sand I want to make. The sand that is not needed gets released in its own chute to be delt with later.

The discharge from the valves flows into a twin 44” sand screw. This guy blends the sand together removes a bit of the sub 100 mesh sand and dewaters it to about a 10% water content. It then gets put in a bin for the loaders to grab and put in their correct location. Most big guys use stackers to do this.
C3E80818-1CB4-493A-94BC-E059EAB5A05D.jpeg

Stackers do not work for me. We wash too many different types of materials so the stackers would have to have a huge area to get different stuff under them and not mix it up. Lastly I have found the stackers cause segregation really bad when the sand is wet like this. With the stupid spec I have on the sand for the block guys it would easily put in spec sand into the bad spec column because of the segregation.
8AFDF26D-02A6-4FF5-AE1D-CA509F1B811D.jpeg

My temporary which turned permanent sand bins. Concrete sand in left bin and waste sand in right bin.

So all the water gets discharged. Into my 4 settling ponds. First pond gets all the fine sand from the screws to settle out in. 2-4 the mud drops out. 4th pond has my pumps in it to run the plant. So it’s basically a closed loop system.
66E75831-C08D-4032-9171-30D8DC059331.jpeg

The sand I dig out the first pond I sell as in-field sand, horse arena sand ect. It’s a really fine sandy shit. The stuff that comes out the rest of the ponds is the nastiest mud in the world. 3-4’ of it wet would stop built buggy on thornbirds in its tracks.

Fuck sleep, this is interesting:smokin:

Panz, I see why you enjoy this, what a juggling act!
It is. The hard part is to make 4 inspec products all at once. That way everything your making is sale-able at the maximum price. It sucks having tons of different piles around the yard of out of spec material that sits there for months/years before it gets sold.

So at the end of the day yesterday I grabbed some samples to see how we were doing.
F11A16E8-9C5A-4EB2-84A6-303426565AE0.jpeg
D8466F92-0309-451B-9EA0-3AE31B0761F8.jpeg

I grab the 3/4” concrete stone mid flight. This is done to get a accurate representation of the material we are making. I use a special narrow collector with 2 handles to swing through the stream. This is easy with this stone. When you are making 500t/hr of road gravel you need to put you big boy shorts on. You need to swing fast and not puss out before you get all the way through the stream:lmao:.
DA678997-B6C2-43E1-AB3C-FE6256440736.jpeg

Sand I just grab a bucket and make a pad and note the time it was taken.
64433233-F709-4C5F-B0C1-F8B91E588B6A.jpeg

I go back and fry them out with my turkey fryer which lives right next to my dirty rag bin:homer:. I use Some yard sale stainless pots to do the cooking. Once they are dry I spread them out on a baking sheet and place them infront of a fan to cook them off. The sand is 220+ degrees.
B99D9573-FE0E-45A5-8EBF-230CF97CAE64.jpeg

Once dry and cool they get shook out on my testing seive stack. Everything gets weighed and percentages passing through each seive size gets calculated. It takes me about 40 mins to run a sand or stone sample.

I use the time it was made and the gradation of the sample to calibrate the computer. The data is entered and it shows you what it thought it made that time vs what you grabbed via the sample. It then changes its formula to match your results.
318FAD8B-5980-4F90-8CEB-FD6BD4889E3C.jpeg

This is the computer that runs the classifier. The top line is the good sand blend. Bottom line is the waste sand blend. If I had a 3 dewatering screw I could use the center line to make a 2nd good sand. The numbers in the box is the percentage of time that valve is opened when the spinning paddle is stopped. So the green and blue lights indicate when the valves are opened. The number that’s hard to see at the bottom of each column is the total time that station has been open for the last calculation cycle.

Once the computer runs a calculation cycle it takes the times each station was open the gradation of what each station drops and calculates the gradation of the sand it made the last cycle. It then makes changes to the mix design to account if it was too course of too fine the last cycle and the process repeats itself all day .

Here is the report for yesterdays run. Had some down time as we finished up washing some granite stone and had to clean bins out. Pretty cool stuff.
EBD4C214-ADDA-433E-9820-757EC637988B.jpeg

Top Back Refresh