What's new

Panzers: I break rocks thread

you should ask the salesman about ordering one with old cat tooth shanks just for his reaction
You laugh but I was thinking how I would cut those stupid Hensley shanks off and put the old cat teeth adapters on it. Would save you thousands of dollars in a couple years

How much to ship six Hensleys and adapters? :flipoff2:
You loader would struggle picking all six teeth and adapters up at once :lmao::flipoff2:

My buckets when they have shitty expensive teeth like that I wear the teeth off then burn the shanks down to nothing. Might as well get all the steel used up. That way you can’t back out of not changing them :lmao:

You laugh but I was thinking how I would cut those stupid Hensley shanks off and put the old cat teeth adapters on it. Would save you thousands of dollars in a couple years
I laugh because he'd maybe act all hurt and confused as to why "the old shit" is way better than any whiz bang proprietary inkjet-business-model bullshit

Panz, where has your #1 employee been? You haven't posted any pics of the bulldog. That fucker cracks me up. :laughing:

Speaking of buckets this one showed up for the sk390

How much you think this thing cost?

IMG_9684.jpeg
IMG_9685.jpeg

IMG_9687.jpeg

Interesting design. The cutting edge that wraps up into the side bars is pretty cool.

The bolt on bottom wear plates seem like the bucket floor and side will get pretty weak when the wear plates are worn out.

The torque box is interesting. Kind of a torque box corner stiffener combined. I haven't seen one that actually goes through the formed side/top plate like that.

If you used it for dirt it looks like it would retain a bunch of material.

Normally the outside tooth is at the side plate. How do you think it will work with the outside tooth inset? Are they intending the pin on router bar to push material in?

From a non-user what are it's benefits?

Interesting design. The cutting edge that wraps up into the side bars is pretty cool.

Old drag buckets were built with a bent up blade edge and no corner tooth and they worked just fine.
INB4 some boomer shows up to tell me that this is different because those don't have bolt on side protectors as if anything did back then<blackflipoff>
5082C.JPG
K5696A.JPG

Old drag buckets were built with a bent up blade edge and no corner tooth and they worked just fine.
INB4 some boomer shows up to tell me that this is different because those don't have bolt on side protectors as if anything did back then<blackflipoff>
5082C.JPG
K5696A.JPG

Haven't seen many dragline buckets.

The curved cutting edge would be expensive to replace.

So are you going to be running calculations how cost of the equipment versus output when they are demoing?

Maybe you can get them to run two months worth of product for free during demo time

Looking at those buckets they are about 1/3 lighter than the equivalent heavy duty bucket. In the 60 inch size equivalent you are getting almost a yard of extra weight capacity for the same bucket weight. If it actually maintains to where you aren't spending a ton of time welding on it then I could see making a business case for it. It's definitely not a quarry bucket though.

Almost had to put a plate down to keep the seat sensor happy. 100lb kid is barely enough to keep it happy:lmao:
I’m 135ish lbs.

Couple of older forklifts (Bendi-lifts) I used to run had no adjustment for operator weight, for the seat sensor. In the warehouse was ok, but hitting a bump in the yard would bounce me enough, that even though I was still in the seat, the sensor would trigger, causing an immediate stop. Which then caused anything on the forks to shoot forward, and I got to play a game of 52 card pickup.

The solution was a special high-tech “adaptive device” (35 ish lb sandbag) strapped to the back of the seat.

We got a brand new new electric golf cart for my department to run around campus, had to get the seller to come out and adjust the seat, the first time some of our sub-140# staff used it they were constantly getting into empty seat shutdown. We've got a couple drivers who barely weigh 100, so that didn't work to well. Quite a surprise coming from a 30 year old gas cart whose sole safety feature was a parking brake.

sight lines on that Bomag remind me of the newer school busses. quite the drop hood, even looks like your kid can probably see backwards pretty well.

Looking at those buckets they are about 1/3 lighter than the equivalent heavy duty bucket. In the 60 inch size equivalent you are getting almost a yard of extra weight capacity for the same bucket weight. If it actually maintains to where you aren't spending a ton of time welding on it then I could see making a business case for it. It's definitely not a quarry bucket though.
that's what it looked like to me. the corners look to be open with wear plates bolted to span the gap. looks to me its built to sell allot of wear parts until its junk and then buy another... not much weld/ repair going to be happening. looks to be a good design for a sales team to push.

did you see a weight on it? the local pit has a 50ton Hitachi and a 60ton volvo I do a fair amount of work on, the 60in bucket on the Hitachi weighed in at 4800lbs, according to the bucket scale on their loader. (I would have guessed more like 6000lbs judgeing by how the forklift handles it) it spends its days sorting big rock.

that bucket at 60k seems to be a fair price. I never got a direct quote, but was lead to believe a new replacement for that Hitachi bucket would be around 80k from the original mfg. that company keeps asking if I can build one for cheaper. maybe?

that company keeps asking if I can build one for cheaper. maybe?
the pakis could
out of bubblegum soft steel bought from the ship breaking yard down the street

I look at that sorta shit and think to myself that I oughta get into making implements for skidloaders
a $2500 scrap grapple don't got all that much plate steel contained within it, maybe $600 worth if that, couple hundred dollar chinese cylinders...

then reality hits and I realize I'm competing with everyone that's already got that idea
shipping ain't THAT expensive

then reality hits and I realize I'm competing with everyone that's already got that idea
The money is in vertical integration. Stack up a bunch of shitty profit margins to make an ok one. The government is dis-incentivizing specialized labor. Vertical integration is the other side of that coin.

that's what it looked like to me. the corners look to be open with wear plates bolted to span the gap. looks to me its built to sell allot of wear parts until its junk and then buy another... not much weld/ repair going to be happening. looks to be a good design for a sales team to push.

did you see a weight on it? the local pit has a 50ton Hitachi and a 60ton volvo I do a fair amount of work on, the 60in bucket on the Hitachi weighed in at 4800lbs, according to the bucket scale on their loader. (I would have guessed more like 6000lbs judgeing by how the forklift handles it) it spends its days sorting big rock.

that bucket at 60k seems to be a fair price. I never got a direct quote, but was lead to believe a new replacement for that Hitachi bucket would be around 80k from the original mfg. that company keeps asking if I can build one for cheaper. maybe?

Pick the size you want.

Personally I would have a hard time seeing profit in building buckets for someone unless I had what I thought was a better idea or a big brake and cheap labor running glue guns but I know guys who make crazier work.

Did some rock breaking equipment destruction today.

PXL_20240415_145428440.jpg

Had to cut down the sheaves and shafts so it would fit coming out.

PXL_20240415_155951977.jpg

First piece out of the there with only an extra hour of cutting

PXL_20240415_213839201.jpg

Lots of cutting later we yarded out the hopper. Apparently in 50 years you find lots of motivation weld more shit in places no one wants to be close to.

PXL_20240415_224658667.jpg

Thought we would get the apron and cleanup hopper out today but we have more shit to cut.

Last edited:
65,000 for the bucket :homer:
Ive never known what a new bucket costs. All the shit I dealt with was Richie bros auction shit they bought and I made it fit what we had.
Almost had to put a plate down to keep the seat sensor happy. 100lb kid is barely enough to keep it happy:lmao:
My old apprentice was 120 lbs soaking wet with a backpack. He had to move a skidsteer and it wouldn’t engage because he didn’t weigh enough for the sensor 🤣
This one had oddball as fuck shanks and teeth. The teeth were hard faced and boss said he couldn’t find them like that new anymore so they would just have to weld build up and hard face them. Not my problem anymore
I deleted a bunch of my old job pictures but this is a big V bucket. The teeth are parallel with the pins.
IMG_1413.jpeg

the pakis could
out of bubblegum soft steel bought from the ship breaking yard down the street

I look at that sorta shit and think to myself that I oughta get into making implements for skidloaders
a $2500 scrap grapple don't got all that much plate steel contained within it, maybe $600 worth if that, couple hundred dollar chinese cylinders...

Personally I would have a hard time seeing profit in building buckets for someone unless I had what I thought was a better idea or a big brake and cheap labor running glue guns but I know guys who make crazier work.

it always surprises me when a small time shop like me can compete with a large facility that makes buckets, etc.. there is decent money in it. not great, but I get my hourly rate or better. building grizzly bar screens doesn't come up as often but is much better money.

I make buckets mostly in 30,50, and 100 sizes but have done bigger. I did allot of them when I was starting out 7ish years ago. but I haven't made a bucket for years. until recently some local places don't have the right sizes and the costs have gone up allot.

you don't need a press brake or anything crazy like that. just a plas table a band saw and welder. a bucket for the 50ton machine would be 2" mold bar, bit stuff that I would order all pre cut and formed from supplier.

right now I have two 100 size, and one 30 size(the one being fit) one 50 size bucket i'm building and a small rake (built awhile ago as a teaching lesson, its just getting ears for a kabota coupler, local place wants $2k for a rake:eek:) spent yesterday cutting and today i hope to have them all fit up. I've got a guy that will come in to weld them out. I price them based on what they go for locally plus a little more... my buckets are better, thicker and more wear bars, and make them with their company logos and odd sizes no problem.

gyAAaalpaq7EA9mM6ef8N=w799-h599-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

building the real big buck might not make since just because I highly doubt i'd build another. so the time and figuring in to the cuts etc could kill profit. if I had the files already done i'd likely build it.

Last edited:
it always surprises me when a small time shop like me can compete with a large facility that makes buckets, etc.. there is decent money in it. not great, but I get my hourly rate or better.
On one hand I'm surprised. The big facility can invest in all sorts of jigs and shit that let the dumbest of the dumb squeeze the trigger and turn out quality, bulk rates on steel, bulk rates on consumables, ect.

But on the other hand, they've got some Slander type mfer walking around they gotta pay, bureaucrats crawling up their asses, lawyers, workers comp, HR shenanigans, etc. and both you the one man shop without that shit and the big humongous OEM factory who have a big operation to spread that shit real thin over are gonna be cheaper.

I’m 135ish lbs.

Couple of older forklifts (Bendi-lifts) I used to run had no adjustment for operator weight, for the seat sensor. In the warehouse was ok, but hitting a bump in the yard would bounce me enough, that even though I was still in the seat, the sensor would trigger, causing an immediate stop. Which then caused anything on the forks to shoot forward, and I got to play a game of 52 card pickup.

The solution was a special high-tech “adaptive device” (35 ish lb sandbag) strapped to the back of the seat.
The Toyota forklift at work is like this for me.
130lbs turn in the seat to look behind me, fucker beeps and stops moving.

Top Back Refresh