What's new

*Official* Silver/Gold thread

Somewhat off topic question.

Say someone needed to transport a fair amount of gold and/or silver coins (over $10k based on current prices) from one coast to the other and they were going to be flying vs driving cross country, what would be the best way to do it?

How much can you fly with before getting fucked by the tsa ? I know they get all in your shit if you fly with like over $10k cash.

Would shipping it overnight via UPS and insured work?

I know I've bought stuff online and it shipped but it was usually under $1000

I'd fly with 10k in gold coins in my pocket, take pics ahead of time for id purposes, set them in the tub, set my wallet on top of them and watch them in and out of the machine.

10k in silver on a plane is going to be a shitshow:laughing:

Edit

On second thought, I'd write my 1st and last name and phone number with sharpie on each one, along with a small x scratch in the same place, take pics of all, then put them in my backpack or whatever and send it through the machine without saying much

10k in gold is like 5 silver dollars, not a big deal, and would likely go unnoticed in an xray machine

Last edited:
I just remembered, Costco sells gold now, apparently their premium is low and they're selling a lot of it, and they're trustworthy, so for anybody interested, that may be an option

I just remembered, Costco sells gold now, apparently their premium is low and they're selling a lot of it, and they're trustworthy, so for anybody interested, that may be an option
bought some through walmart.com on a lark, it was dropshipped from apmex

the price updates were lagging behind the other outlets, and prices were rising at the time
they did charge tax on a non-taxable thing though, was a pain getting it sorted out, so you might need to watch close

I'd fly with 10k in gold coins in my pocket, take pics ahead of time for id purposes, set them in the tub, set my wallet on top of them and watch them in and out of the machine.

10k in gold is like 5 silver dollars, not a big deal, and would likely go unnoticed in an xray machine

Have you ever flown with gold? I have one 1 ounce gold piece that I have flown with many times. I don’t care where you put it in the grey tub, it shows up like a black hole on the screen. A couple of times the guy would bring me to the screen and say “what’s that”? They wouldn’t let me near the tub till I explained. (Probably thought it was explosive) Definitely not going to be unnoticed.

On another note, BTC is up and down, but gold just keeps inching up.

Say someone needed to transport a fair amount of gold and/or silver coins (over $10k based on current prices) from one coast to the other and they were going to be flying vs driving cross country, what would be the best way to do it?

How much can you fly with before getting fucked by the tsa ? I know they get all in your shit if you fly with like over $10k cash.

Toss it in your carry on? If it’s gold that like 4 1” coins, who cares. 10k in silver is like a small loaf of bread but heavier

When my father in law passed away, we had his silver coins / bullion shipped to us USPS Registered mail. It was about 60 lbs worth that got to me no problem. Check the linky below....

Good link for shipping coins / bullion

I don't have any gold, the graph just doesn't look good, like it jumped up a long time ago where silver has been low

dunno, guess you're supposed to diversify but I really haven't at all

I saw something the other day that was interesting. They say there is less than one ounce of gold per person in the world. There also is less than one ounce of silver per person. (I guess because silver weighs so much less) Makes me feel good to know I’ve got more than my share of both.

I saw something the other day that was interesting. They say there is less than one ounce of gold per person in the world. There also is less than one ounce of silver per person. (I guess because silver weighs so much less) Makes me feel good to know I’ve got more than my share of both.

Interesting, so there is roughly 2x as much gold as silver floating around
Screenshot_20240417_101551_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240417_101439_Samsung Internet.jpg

Silver is dropping like a rock ($26.59 now) and gold looks like it may dip back below $2300. May grab another 1oz coin if it keeps falling.
This sounds like my brothers talking. Not saying you’re wrong about pricing, but gold fluctuations of a $100 are just that, fluctuations. I don’t see a trend until it’s $300. I suppose you can make some money on those swings, but that would depend on how close you can buy and sell to spot.

I say the same thing about bit coin except the fluctuations are $10,000. lol.

I just buy and hold and hope for the best. Actually, I don’t really hope for a giant increase in price because that probably means our economy is going down the drain.

This sounds like my brothers talking. Not saying you’re wrong about pricing, but gold fluctuations of a $100 are just that, fluctuations. I don’t see a trend until it’s $300. I suppose you can make some money on those swings, but that would depend on how close you can buy and sell to spot.

I say the same thing about bit coin except the fluctuations are $10,000. lol.

I just buy and hold and hope for the best. Actually, I don’t really hope for a giant increase in price because that probably means our economy is going down the drain.

I don't buy to invest or make money. For me it's merely an alternate form of savings outside the bank and fiat currency. So if I can save $100 here and there I'm fine with it. To me it feels like a small win to wait for a $100 dip than to have bought when gold crossed $2400.

Top Back Refresh