What's new

Motortrend!

I believe it had to do with what was available and still be called UA. I would have preferred Unlimited Adventure but I think someone else uses that name already.

The Unlimited LJ Adventure is what you're thinking of. It's put on by 3 friends and they follow a similar pattern to the Ultimate Adventure. It's limited to LJ's and lately has been more geared towards rock crawling.

385039195_336084142123108_8032989671174731150_n.jpg

Thats the Midwest irates, so far the SE irates have proven to be a bunch of web wheelers based on the turnout of the runs I have been putting on:flipoff2:. IMO sponsorship is not needed for a UA style irate ride and they only ruined it, them and influencers. The past few years it has been glorified product ads and watching YouTubers wheel, boring. The only reason I was remotely interested this year was to watch them wheel trails that I have and watch the VP of product development at warn bang a shop built tj off some trees.
Hey now, I resemble that remark! Planning to be at the AOP one for sure.

Motortrend has steadily gone downhill for years. Lost their OG Core group of hosts, then steadily lost their identity (via Corporate decisions).

Well they would have more subscribers if they hadn’t cancelled DED.
Now that they are part of discovery, the numbers they pulled from motor trend TV are so small. I’m sure they don’t care at all about those subscribers.

Reach out to 10 million discovery subscribers or spend the same effort to reach out to 100,000 motor trend subscribers

Now that they are part of discovery, the numbers they pulled from motor trend TV are so small. I’m sure they don’t care at all about those subscribers.

Reach out to 10 million discovery subscribers or spend the same effort to reach out to 100,000 motor trend subscribers
I didn't look... Did Discovery purchase MT? If so, curious why make the investment and then shut it down.

Because fuck your ICE's thats why.

:flipoff:
maybe? If they are trying to shape culture, I guess. But fiscally, seems like a strange move to (if they did) buy MT and essentially shut it down. If MT wasn't profitable, there would be no reason to buy it...

Like I said - haven't fact checked anything. Just seems an odd financial move.

edit: owned MT since 2017, I guess.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand why they had went away from a new episode of every show once a month. As soon as soon as they went away from that it seemed to be a death of a thousand cuts.

That seems like a horrible name
It is a horrible event to spectate too. It's a bunch of wankers going on a business trip with sponsors that mostly don't know their ass from an ant hill when it comes to wheeling. Just a big old advertising road trip with a little wheeling thrown in to keep the interest of those that haven't realized how shit it really is yet. :laughing:

It is a horrible event to spectate too. It's a bunch of wankers going on a business trip with sponsors that mostly don't know their ass from an ant hill when it comes to wheeling. Just a big old advertising road trip with a little wheeling thrown in to keep the interest of those that haven't realized how shit it really is yet. :laughing:
Any group longer than 15 rigs is too long for most trails around me, you have people finishing and starting at the same time… it’s even worse when someone breaks down In the middle. I’m hoping with the lack of Motortrend they will rewrite the script on UA.

its really grown into a shitshow. way too many people in the group, hard to have fun wrangling that many vehicles and people. it came thru aop a few years ago on the 4th of july when we were there.

I don't know what killed the show(s) corporate wide, but for me it was the timelines.
Watching the drag o neer the other day, he had to stop because he said that was all the filming time he was allocated.
I don't know if that is his personal life or a production life, but as a fan it sucks. I'd rather wait for a complete episode to come out.

Early on Fred had a pretty flexible schedule. As time went on and more people got involved they got to a pretty rigid five (?) day schedule. The schedules were so tight that a lot of work had to be done when the cameras were not on like a significant amount. Then they had one day to payoff video. During filming season, Fred schedule was crazy hectic. I cannot imagine Freiburger with multiple shows.

There was a new episode of roadkill garage on last night. Chapelle was on again hacking on a wagoneer.

Weird. I went to go watch this, but it wasn't in the "new shows feed". Sure as shit, go into the actual RKG show instead of the main "automotive" page, and there's 3 episodes in there that never showed on the feed. The last new show on my feed is the mazdarati 2.0 s13e5.

IMG_20240524_154803.jpg

Early on Fred had a pretty flexible schedule. As time went on and more people got involved they got to a pretty rigid five (?) day schedule. The schedules were so tight that a lot of work had to be done when the cameras were not on like a significant amount. Then they had one day to payoff video. During filming season, Fred schedule was crazy hectic. I cannot imagine Freiburger with multiple shows.
Yeah there's been a few times you can tell stuff wears on DF. He's not great at hiding it.

Hate that corporate shit is killing what was once really interesting, but it has all lost any type of authenticity.

So the motor trend offices are just down the street from me. Earlier this year. I thought they were downsizing some offices. They ended up keeping all the buildings they have and today when I was at Whole Foods I noticed they have another small office in El Segundo in a hipster mall. They are in the same mall as Whole Foods, sauced and goop kitchen. They wanna be hipsters. It’s a small enough area, probably executives only.

So the motor trend offices are just down the street from me. Earlier this year. I thought they were downsizing some offices. They ended up keeping all the buildings they have and today when I was at Whole Foods I noticed they have another small office in El Segundo in a hipster mall. They are in the same mall as Whole Foods, sauced and goop kitchen. They wanna be hipsters. It’s a small enough area, probably executives only.
I hope you slow roll past and shout BOO! In their general direction

It's a tough spot to manage the downfall of the magazine empire after decades of success, but they sure don't make it feel satisfying or somber or any such thing

Apparently, they are down to about a dozen employees. Everybody else got their walking papers. I would imagine they are downsizing from two big buildings to one tiny one.

Because fuck your ICE's thats why.

:flipoff:
I got that vibe from them after reading a few of the MT mags they sent me after Four Wheeler died and they sent that mag in its place. Seemed really pro EV and not really favorable toward anything other than cars and hybrids. I cancelled my MT subscription a while back when they killed DED. Can find many of the same folks now doing YT stuff.

Thats the Midwest irates, so far the SE irates have proven to be a bunch of web wheelers based on the turnout of the runs I have been putting on:flipoff2:. IMO sponsorship is not needed for a UA style irate ride and they only ruined it, them and influencers. The past few years it has been glorified product ads and watching YouTubers wheel, boring. The only reason I was remotely interested this year was to watch them wheel trails that I have and watch the VP of product development at warn bang a shop built tj off some trees.

I would not want to do a UA style trip.

I think after last year’s midwest run the idea of going park to park to park sounds fun, but can get tiring.

I like what you did this year. Pick a good 2-3 day park, go and wheel. It gives time to sit around and bullshit and settle in for a few days. Also makes fixing broken junk easier.

I’ll most likely be at every eastern run next year. I don’t think we have a big western trip planned…yet. :laughing:

I got that vibe from them after reading a few of the MT mags they sent me after Four Wheeler died and they sent that mag in its place. Seemed really pro EV and not really favorable toward anything other than cars and hybrids. I cancelled my MT subscription a while back when they killed DED. Can find many of the same folks now doing YT stuff.

I tried to find a place to context them with the “stop sending me this magazine- I just throw it away… save yourself the shipping”

Had no luck

I would not want to do a UA style trip.

I think after last year’s midwest run the idea of going park to park to park sounds fun, but can get tiring.

I like what you did this year. Pick a good 2-3 day park, go and wheel. It gives time to sit around and bullshit and settle in for a few days. Also makes fixing broken junk easier.

I’ll most likely be at every eastern run next year. I don’t think we have a big western trip planned…yet. :laughing:
My group of friends always want to do a "UA style trip" yet can barely make it to a long weekend ride:laughing:. I tell them to leave the trailer at home and drive your junk to the trail for the experience and they look at me like I have an antler growing out of my head:laughing:

Top Back Refresh