What's new

Most annoying new vehicle feature

Well fuck. Shouldn't have talked shit about my work truck tailgate. :laughing: It's doing this all by it's self now. :homer:

This is the second time this has happened. The first time they replaced a bunch of shit. It's worked fine since other than it won't close with the remote. I fucking hate this thing. I wonder if they can replace it with manual shit??

Start/stop at lights and dials for a transmission shifter.

I don’t have a vehicle with a dial trans shifter but anytime I have a rental car with one I lose my mind.

Nobody:
Car companies:
It's so important to me to be able to let go of the steering wheel so I can play drums on my lap with my hands.
I'm willing to pay thousands to be able to do it!

I know nothing about adaptive cruise so enlighten me please. How is it dangerous?

There’s an entire thread about it somewhere here.

It hits brakes hard and unnaturally.

Coming up on a car in front of you and decide to change lanes? Normally, nbd. You check mirrors, ensure room, change lanes and pass the car.

Sometimes the radar catches the corner of the car and hits the brakes during lane change. And now any cars behind you in the new lane have to hit the brakes because your 70 mph initial velocity turns to 45 mph in the fast lane.

Sucks, especially when towing.

The auto high beams on my Camry are useless. On and off at every car, porch light, and road sign. Sometimes for no apparent reason. The only place it would work would be in the middle of nowhere with no cars, houses, or road signs.

The auto high beams on my Camry are useless. On and off at every car, porch light, and road sign. Sometimes for no apparent reason. The only place it would work would be in the middle of nowhere with no cars, houses, or road signs.

Up until another car shows up 15 miles away and it suddenly decide you need to dim the lights. It's would be far more useful if you could adjust the sensitivity.

Up until another car shows up 15 miles away and it suddenly decide you need to dim the lights. It's would be far more useful if you could adjust the sensitivity.
Okay, time for a boomer anecdote. In the 60s and possibly earlier Cadillacs had an auto dimming high beam option. There was a little photocell mounted in a streamlined diecast housing on the top left corner of the dash. All analog, of course. It had a knob on it for you to adjust sensitivity. As I recall they worked really well.

Turned them off on the f350 the day I drove it home.

Car coming - brights turn off
Telephone pole hides oncoming car lights momentarily - on. Ooops, off! Oops, on!

Stupid.

The Grand Cherokee Has a reverse proximity deal that if you get "too close" to something, freaks out, stabs the brakes and beeps it's ass off. Makes me jump every time.

Ya. Quite a few new vehicles in the city we're by and I hear them shut off at stoplights all the time. Obnoxious as hell and I can't help but wonder how long the starters and batteries last like that.
I cannot stand the auto stop/start. Think about it from a reliability standpoint. cam, crank, and rod bearings are all hydrodynamic bearings. Every time you stop/start the damn thing you are technically getting metal on metal contact between parts due to oil pump stopping. Unless some of them have electric oil pumps? Haven't researched that. We always turned it off on my wife's car. Apparently there is a separate battery with a Jeep for this. It went dead and it no longer works. Just have a light on the dash. Works for me!

There’s an entire thread about it somewhere here.

It hits brakes hard and unnaturally.

Coming up on a car in front of you and decide to change lanes? Normally, nbd. You check mirrors, ensure room, change lanes and pass the car.

Sometimes the radar catches the corner of the car and hits the brakes during lane change. And now any cars behind you in the new lane have to hit the brakes because your 70 mph initial velocity turns to 45 mph in the fast lane.

Sucks, especially when towing.
Toyotas don’t do that if you use the turn signals.

Push button start, My wifes car is currently broke down at hobby lobby. Who knows why the starter won't engage, is it the keyfob, is it the receiver, is it a relay?

A real key eliminates at least 2 possible points of failure.

Id say the only thing past 2002ish (peak automobile) I like are heated and cooled seats & steering wheel. The rest of it is fucking garbage. I've had more problems with my 2019 f150 than my 2001 f250 & 1989 f150 combined. Have everything turned off that i can in the 19' f150 via forscan but the stupid collision warning comes on randomly and scares the fuck out of me. Electric tailgate latch? come the fuck on

Okay, time for a boomer anecdote. In the 60s and possibly earlier Cadillacs had an auto dimming high beam option. There was a little photocell mounted in a streamlined diecast housing on the top left corner of the dash. All analog, of course. It had a knob on it for you to adjust sensitivity. As I recall they worked really well.
Yeah, they were available earlier. We had it inna 55 Oldsmobile. 4 hole Buicks too I'm sure.

Sunroofs.

I don't mind all the new electronic trickery but FML it seems like no one can make a sunroof that doesn't let water in. Couple that with the decision to put computers on the floor, you've got problems. It seems impossible to find a car that doesn't have a sunroof on it from the factory.

So yeah, they all leak and either destroy a wiring harness (instant death) or some other random component because water is all over everything now.

Sunroofs.

It seems impossible to find a car that doesn't have a sunroof on it from the factory.

So yeah, they all leak and either destroy a wiring harness (instant death) or some other random component because water is all over everything now.
My 01 Monte Carlo SS moon/sun roof has never leaked a drop. Damn, did I just jinx myself? :eek:

Top Back Refresh