What's new

Most annoying new vehicle feature

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
What's grinding your gears with all the new nanny stuff?

My latest is the reverse lights being on when a door is open. For safety, ya know?

This has happened to me several times and happened again today. Somebody parks their new ride and they're standing by it with the doors open. Reverse lights and maybe even the brake lights are on. Looks straight up like they're waiting for you to go by so that they can back up while you wait for them to back up so that you can go by. Fucking hell.

I hate the “entry mode” crap of seat moving back and steering wheel up. Dumb.

I do not like the engine shutting off while sitting at stoplights.

Since we travel a lot, it seems every rental car has this feature and my wife quickly shuts it off because she knows it makes me crazy.
Ya. Quite a few new vehicles in the city we're by and I hear them shut off at stoplights all the time. Obnoxious as hell and I can't help but wonder how long the starters and batteries last like that.

Ya. Quite a few new vehicles in the city we're by and I hear them shut off at stoplights all the time. Obnoxious as hell and I can't help but wonder how long the starters and batteries last like that.
My thoughts exactly.

And guess how long the transmission's going to last if every time I put my foot down to leave a stoplight, the car has to start at the same time I'm fixing to GTFO.

Start/Stop, lane mitigation crap, collision braking feature - damn car brakes so hard as I was driving around someone, almost got rear ended. This was on ex-wifes '22 CRV.

None of my vehicles have any of that crap, newest being a 2005.

Had a brand new tacoma for a rental a couple weeks back, tried for a while to disable the adaptive cruise control, couldn't find a way to do it. Was very aggravating not being able to pass anything without it automatically slowing up to follow, then it would kill the cruise speed comlpetely if you denied adaptive enough times.

Luckily everything I personally own is junk, so not having cruise control is kind of the norm anyways. :grinpimp:

Everything. :lmao:

I'm quite happy with my 98 XC70 - comfortable, simple and it works.

About the only new car feature I like is adaptive cruise, and I'd probably like auto steer (haven't driven one yet).

Traction control, abs, vehicle stability control that won't let you drift corners. They put a little switch in the dash to "turn it off" but mostly all that little switch does is turn on a light in the cluster. Get stuck and need some wheel speed to get out? Good fucking luck.

Door buzzers that play the most annoying sounds you can imagine if you leave the keys in the goddamn thing and open the door. The best one is GM cars that do 3 short bursts of the horn to let everyone know that this is the car to steal. Keys are in it!

Some cars will set the brakes and put the trans in park and throw your ass out of the seat if you try to drive them with a door open (such as driving them onto the turn plates on the alignment rack).

The one that really pissed me off the other day was a new Ram 1/2 ton. I was backing it up towards a snowbank at what it thought was too fast. It beeped and yelled at me, then set the hydraulic brakes and the electric parking brake, cut the throttle, and blew the horn. :lmao:. 3 or 4 times I tried it with the same result.

What the actual fuck? The driver is not much in control anymore. I'll keep my old mechanical shit as long as I can still get or make parts.

Everything. Start stop, adaptive cruise, automatic high beams, entry seating, torque limiters to name a few

Toyotas traction control activates when you’re braking and hit a bump. It causes the brakes to let go for a second.

Traction control, abs, vehicle stability control that won't let you drift corners. They put a little switch in the dash to "turn it off" but mostly all that little switch does is turn on a light in the cluster. Get stuck and need some wheel speed to get out? Good fucking luck.

Door buzzers that play the most annoying sounds you can imagine if you leave the keys in the goddamn thing and open the door. The best one is GM cars that do 3 short bursts of the horn to let everyone know that this is the car to steal. Keys are in it!

Some cars will set the brakes and put the trans in park and throw your ass out of the seat if you try to drive them with a door open (such as driving them onto the turn plates on the alignment rack).

The one that really pissed me off the other day was a new Ram 1/2 ton. I was backing it up towards a snowbank at what it thought was too fast. It beeped and yelled at me, then set the hydraulic brakes and the electric parking brake, cut the throttle, and blew the horn. :lmao:. 3 or 4 times I tried it with the same result.

What the actual fuck? The driver is not much in control anymore. I'll keep my old mechanical shit as long as I can still get or make parts.
Holy fucking hell.

Ya, new stuff with so little driver control sucks slugs ass.

I, too, hate ABS and will be yanking it out of my Subaru.

I've been beyond annoyed with traction control and stability control.
A lot of vehicles hide the disable option. Ford sometimes won't even give you the option on the lower trims, which is fucking bullshit.

And if you do manage to turn it off, it lights up a million lights on the dash the entire fucking time.
And most of them are never truly off.

All that shit should be off unless I turn it on.

I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing stability control, yet.

Traction control sucks.

Few years ago, some shitbags cut the cat and an O2 off my wife's 4Runner. I put a new cat and O2 on, but there's still gasket leak which sets off all kinds of traction control and ABS lights. Apparently the ABS still works. It turns trac off though. Friends of our have a Sequoia (basically the same vehicle) and my buddy asks how I got her car sideways with the traction control because he can't get theirs to do it. I told him why and we got a good laugh.

Fuck emissions garbage while we're at it.

Lot of variations out there, but the good traction control works individual wheels and just stabs any brake to keep all tires turning the same speed. It's boring how well it works in the snow because you never spin a tire and it just goes.

Old school standard issue traction/stability control that just cuts everything is a different evil.

Don't own anything new but did rent a truck to pickup some tires from a fellow wheeler in Colorado last year. My pickup was having issues at the time and didn't really want to chance it. Anyway
The rental truck would shup off at stops and restart when you let off the brake. With any luck the starters in the bell housing to

Plastic transmission pan.
God damn locking tailgate locks with auto door locks at speed.
Traction control, bogs you down when you want to gun it.
Reverse proximity warning when the tailgate is down. The stupid thing is not smart enough to realize the tailgate is down and it’s looking straight down at the ground.

Top Back Refresh