What's new

Most annoying new vehicle feature

I'll have to look that one up again. Being my wife's car, I really shouldn't kill the trac.

I found VSC and traction control to be dangerous AF on my 3rd gen 4runner... the lean/sway sensors would cause it to kick in over and over driving down my county road.

Oh! forgot, Wifes Jetta with the traction control you cannot turn off. Easiest car in the fucking world to get stuck.

the reverse lights being on when a door is open.
as much as I hate that, I equally hate "turning off one headlight so other people can see the turn signal". Nobody gives a shit about a turn signal. They will all wait until you actually make the turn before they go. My old Buick had an extra light that came on so you could see into the driveway before you made the turn. That shit made sense.

Also. The Charger won't let my put in in D if I'm rolling back at more than like three mph. No horseshoes for me.

It wont go with the door open and seatbelt unhooked. Directly to "Park"

Agreed, this does drive me nuts. I get that its a safety/security feature, I just wish it was something you could turn off.
Will forscan do it?

for the people who dislike the adaptive cruise control, what is it that you dislike?
for me, i love adaptive cruise, but this is only experienced on 2018 tundra and 2018 tacoma. mountain roads with 2 and 1 lane highways. other traffic seems to never be able to hold a speed thanks to the hills and corners and is always changing 10km/hr or more. you would literally be adjusting the cruise speed up and down to match them. adaptive will set the max speed and will slow down to keep a set distance from the vehicle ahead, and you can adjust how much of a distance that is. it also works pretty well that the vehicle needs to be in front of you. move to the passing lane to pass, and it will not sense a vehicle and will try to get back to max speed asap. even taking fast lane with vehicles in the slow lane and doing corners, it rarely see's the vehicle in the other lane. when driving hours on end, its nice to not be constantly adjusting the speed.

is this different for other vehicles or situations?

Electronic throttles that train you to floor it half a second before you should.

Had a brand new tacoma for a rental a couple weeks back, tried for a while to disable the adaptive cruise control, couldn't find a way to do it. Was very aggravating not being able to pass anything without it automatically slowing up to follow, then it would kill the cruise speed comlpetely if you denied adaptive enough times.
If adaptive cruise is so hard to turn off why does every Tacoma I see have a large and getting larger gap between it and the traffic in front of it? :flipoff2:

The one that really pissed me off the other day was a new Ram 1/2 ton. I was backing it up towards a snowbank at what it thought was too fast. It beeped and yelled at me, then set the hydraulic brakes and the electric parking brake, cut the throttle, and blew the horn. /https://data.irate4x4.com/assets/smilies/laughing2.gif. 3 or 4 times I tried it with the same result.

What the actual fuck? The driver is not much in control anymore. I'll keep my old mechanical shit as long as I can still get or make parts.
IDK if it's an OEM feature but my friend's boss rented a Uhaul Ram 1500, loaded shit in the bed and wouldn't start the engine until they unloaded weight. He was too big a pussy to load it back up started and in gear like I suggested and took two trips. :laughing:
Lot of variations out there, but the good traction control works individual wheels and just stabs any brake to keep all tires turning the same speed. It's boring how well it works in the snow because you never spin a tire and it just goes.
The guy I do sawmill shit with and a different friend have the same Subaru but in different trims. One will go all sorts of places it shouldn't. The other will refuse to back a trailer on dry pavement thinking you're about to peel out.

Adaptive cruise is retarded. No thanks.

I hate all the parking sensor beeping bullshit. I can see it on the screen, I dont need you beeping at me. Thankfully my Ram was optioned without the sensors so nothing to ever shut off.

Traction control. On my Ram, it just cuts power completely. Utter garbage. On my Audi it properly distributes power. It works decently. Both work well if you encounter slick conditions at speed, but in slow situations the one in the Ram will get you stuck. Both can be "turned off". It only works so well.

My Audi auto sets the parking brake when the door is opened and its in drive. Absolutely annoying as fuck. On top of that, the parking brake is electric which is a sin in itself.

Fog lights shutting off when the high beams go on. Coded that shit out of every car I own.

All the beeps and buzzes for seat belts, key present, etc. Coded all that shit out too. My Audi would just scream constantly if you started the car and walked away with the key fob.

Trucks a 2012 and car is a 2015 and I dont think I can handle anything newer. Luckily things like AlfaOBD and VAGCOM allow you to code a ton of shit out.

it beeps at 39 to warn of ice. It's a bit annoying cause I'll obviously know if ... aaaaa fuckit
my 07 lesbaru flashes the temperature at 37. My parents had an 07 Mitsubishi that said possible icy conditions at the same i think. Japans weird about that

So I went to grab the skid steer this morning in the '22 3500. After I got it loaded up on the trailer, I had a roll of vapor barrier to unload. I opened the gate and grabbed it then promised myself I'd close the tailgate when I got back to the truck :homer: of course I didn't. Going down the highway I see the gate is down. I figure. No problem. I have a fancy electric tailgate. I push the dash button.... and wouldn't you know it. The fucker don't work unless your stopped. Had to pull over and stop for it to work. WTAF who thinks of this shit?

Traction control. On my Ram, it just cuts power completely. Utter garbage. On my Audi it properly distributes power. It works decently. Both work well if you encounter slick conditions at speed, but in slow situations the one in the Ram will get you stuck. Both can be "turned off". It only works so well.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I said "traction control" I was making progress in some sand pulling the toyhauler and BAM the fucker fucked me.

I was livid and laughing at the same time. Told the wife I wanted my old truck back. :homer::lmao:

for the people who dislike the adaptive cruise control, what is it that you dislike?
for me, i love adaptive cruise, but this is only experienced on 2018 tundra and 2018 tacoma. mountain roads with 2 and 1 lane highways. other traffic seems to never be able to hold a speed thanks to the hills and corners and is always changing 10km/hr or more. you would literally be adjusting the cruise speed up and down to match them. adaptive will set the max speed and will slow down to keep a set distance from the vehicle ahead, and you can adjust how much of a distance that is. it also works pretty well that the vehicle needs to be in front of you. move to the passing lane to pass, and it will not sense a vehicle and will try to get back to max speed asap. even taking fast lane with vehicles in the slow lane and doing corners, it rarely see's the vehicle in the other lane. when driving hours on end, its nice to not be constantly adjusting the speed.

If I'm on the interstate where cruise helps me, especially in a populated area, it will put so much distance between me and the car in front of me 2 things happen.

1. The asshole camped out in the left lane thinks I'm going the same speed and will not move out of the fucking way.
2. There is enough space in there that another asshole thinks I'm in no particular hurry and gets between me and the left lane camper and my emergency braking comes on the guy behind me on my ass damn near rear ends me.

I rarely use the cruise on mountain roads, but if you do I can see why it would be convenient.

I like that feature too. My mother and gf are short, I'm tall, it prevents that terrible issue the where you go to get into a car and get halfway in then get stuck on the steering column after they drive a car.

I was driving my friends fusion, he's about a foot taller than me so I had to move the seat up but when I got out it moves the seat back. He gets in starts it up put it in gear and the seats moving forward and he barely gets his foot on the brake pedal.

Had a customer Who violently slammed the steering wheel up and down each time he got in and out, after a few years of that the turn signals stopped working one day. I had to glue the wires to the plug for the multifunction switch all the clicky keepers busted off.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I said "traction control" I was making progress in some sand pulling the toyhauler and BAM the fucker fucked me.

I was livid and laughing at the same time. Told the wife I wanted my old truck back. :homer::lmao:
I almost got stuck in my grandmas driveway last winter. 2ft of snow on the ground and a slight hill. I am making progress then slow at the top to look for traffic. I see none so I start to accelerate and the traction control says nope, lets the truck dig itself down half ass braked then kills power completely. My foots to the floor and the trucks at idle tires not moving:homer: Ridiculous.

If I'm on the interstate where cruise helps me, especially in a populated area, it will put so much distance between me and the car in front of me 2 things happen.

1. The asshole camped out in the left lane thinks I'm going the same speed and will not move out of the fucking way.
2. There is enough space in there that another asshole thinks I'm in no particular hurry and gets between me and the left lane camper and my emergency braking comes on the guy behind me on my ass damn near rear ends me.

I rarely use the cruise on mountain roads, but if you do I can see why it would be convenient.
Do you not have the ability to set distance? usually it has 3 settings where its like 6 vehicle lengths, 4 lengths and then 2. I always set it to 2 or the closest. And when i do have people merge in-front of me, the vehicle will slow, but not violently brake, unless they come in basically on my bumper. It will “see” them going faster and basically maintain speed and let the other vehicle increase gap.

I found VSC and traction control to be dangerous AF on my 3rd gen 4runner... the lean/sway sensors would cause it to kick in over and over driving down my county road.
So terrible. It isn't "traction control". All it does is just cut all power. And it's a motherfucker to run off. It keeps turning itself back on.

If you leave Ford's running in park, it only unlockes the driver's door. I've gotten out so many times to drop my kid off only to have his door locked in the back seat. Then walk back the drivers door and push the unlock button.
Isn't that just a setting?

the amount of injection phases is absurd.

1... perfect
2... what fuckery is afoot
3... that's just extra steps and wasting fuel

8... cabbage

I hate variable vane turbos, another feature for people who cant drive.
I actually think its how you make miraculous power without ventilating blocks.

I don't like the guide line on my back up screen that conveniently blocks the view of the hitch and ball. I like the camera just see no reason for anything on the screen besides what's behind the truck

I actually think its how you make miraculous power without ventilating blocks.
Probably so. I mean, the run of the mill six cylinder in a midsize soccer mom SUV pits an old school SBC to shame. The limitations on modern vehicles has nothing to do with engine. It's all about the rest of the power train, axles, chassis, brakes, etc. Power wise my 4runner would probably have been rated to tow 10k+ if back in the '90s.

Reactions: DMG
I don't like the guide line on my back up screen that conveniently blocks the view of the hitch and ball. I like the camera just see no reason for anything on the screen besides what's behind the truck
Again can't you turn that off?

My wife's car has it, and I do use it... In city traffic.

Otherwise I find it not well tuned. It'll slam on the brakes while someone in going up an off ramp as you pass them often. I also really dislike how on a light traffic highway you sometimes won't even notice that it slowed you down.

My driving habits are probably not conducive to how these things are designed to work, i.e., ultra safe.

Everybody shits on Nissan in here but almost every complaint in this thread besides the fact that these things exist at all, is a configurable option in my wife's car. I can turn on/off every single thing permanently except tc/sc. And it's a '21 that doesn't have auto stop/start at all.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh