What's new

Matt's Off Road Recovery.

I got the impression that this was a bit of an Fu to Robbie on account that the vehicle ostensibly was built for Ed to drive and enjoy and not to be someone's museum piece.
. . . or it was pre-planned drama to keep folks talking about that project for which all the natural buzz was dying down. Call me cynical but, at first glance, I don't believe any of the drama from or between entertainers, and especially "influencers".

EDIT: also, what realsquash typed - it's all bullshit designed to maximize the tug at your heart strings.

Eh, I think the whole deal with Ed's Zuki changed when everyone's channel started getting views. Then it seemed to change into something they all wanted to milk. Robbie should have never put that much time in to that paint to begin with. I finally quit watching his channel because it became obvious that all he was doing was milking the shit out of it.

Oh, and his giveaway Charger that he is not even halfway to the number of subs before he gives it away is fucking stupid.

I doubt this was the actual intention of that project. This is TV, think more like Discovery Channel shit now. Ed doesn't want to drive that goofy little fucker around.
Where did you come up with that? From the very beginning that was the intent. The project went off the rails when Robbie decided to turn it into an Amelia Island Concours entry.

. . . or it was pre-planned drama to keep folks talking about that project for which all the natural buzz was dying down. Call me cynical but, at first glance, I don't believe any of the drama from or between entertainers, and especially "influencers".

EDIT: also, what realsquash typed - it's all bullshit designed to maximize the tug at your heart strings.
Yeah I don't buy that although for sure 99% of the time it's pre-planned drama. Nothing was said all of the events in that video were matter of fact.

Eh, I think the whole deal with Ed's Zuki changed when everyone's channel started getting views. Then it seemed to change into something they all wanted to milk. Robbie should have never put that much time in to that paint to begin with. I finally quit watching his channel because it became obvious that all he was doing was milking the shit out of it.

Oh, and his giveaway Charger that he is not even halfway to the number of subs before he gives it away is fucking stupid.
There is no doubt that Layton is an exploitive business person. He seems to have built a pretty successful business at a young age. I get the impression that to him it is all money and if he can have fun doing it and act like a goofball then he's in. He certainly does have talent though.

Yeah I don't buy that although for sure 99% of the time it's pre-planned drama. Nothing was said all of the events in that video were matter of fact.
I'll take your word for it because I have 98% less fucks invested in those fake people than you do :flipoff2:

Where did you come up with that? From the very beginning that was the intent. The project went off the rails when Robbie decided to turn it into an Amelia Island Concours entry.
Was this footage discovered on some abandoned laptop? Or was it edited and released to the world for the clicks? That should answer your questions and drive future assumptions. Take the red pill my friend.

Was this footage discovered on some abandoned laptop? Or was it edited and released to the world for the clicks? That should answer your questions and drive future assumptions. Take the red pill my friend.
Yeah I guess all you have to do is go back and watch the original videos on that project. Since they were done previously and already posted and they already made clear that it was being built for him to drive, what happened later is how it all evolved.

You gotta ask what is Ed's opinion of that Suzuki. From my impression in that first video is to him, it was just a friggen 4x4 to make getting to his mine easy. No garage queen, nothing fancy, etc. At most, all I think he was expecting out of the deal was to get that miserable little 2 stroke thing back up and running so he can bomb around like an atv.... but Nooooo... those youtubers turn a "restoration" into a full blown 4x4 build...

You gotta ask what is Ed's opinion of that Suzuki. From my impression in that first video is to him, it was just a friggen 4x4 to make getting to his mine easy. No garage queen, nothing fancy, etc. At most, all I think he was expecting out of the deal was to get that miserable little 2 stroke thing back up and running so he can bomb around like an atv.... but Nooooo... those youtubers turn a "restoration" into a full blown 4x4 build...
"Hey, Ed's outhouse needs new door hinges" --> "So, we're installing a marble-floored elevator . . ." :laughing:

I'll take your word for it because I have 98% less fucks invested in those fake people than you do :flipoff2:
It's so ironic how Bear Grylls paved the way for me regarding viewing all later reality TV shows.:laughing::homer:

There's some form of script, however great or small, that's followed in these 'reality' shows.

My impression of the golden nugget was it was something Ed old man talked about so they decided to do it for him. Then it took too damn long and he was too old to drive it :flipoff2:

This. Plus, the guy is well over 80 years old. Layton got to showcase his skills but, perhaps from Ed's perspective, si months or more of his life was waiting for something he likely never wanted (a garage queen).

Which is exactly why I believe Matt's taking it out and using it the way they did was an intentional message to RL and also to break the Nugget out of its 'car show' existence.

I just think Robby went over board. Reworking the drive train is one thing, the show car level paint job was Robby showing off.
Everyone went overboard. The whole thing would have been cool if they had just stuck the new body on it and left out the wider axles and fat tires and all of that. I appreciate the newer engine and trans, but the whole time it was at "Hack Rats" it just got more and more fucked up. They made it so tall and uncomfortable that Ed can't get in and out of it and doesn't want anything to do with it now.

You can tell ed isn't as pumped on it as everyone else. Asking robbie what it's worth for insurance reasons was interesting. Probably barely afford a policy on it. Robbie has borrowed it to show it off more times than Ed will drive it.

Those windshield banners are ghey as hell. Kinda like Paul's inside outside roll cage rack.

Yet here I am still watching. :lmao:

Yet here you are.................
Yes, discussing these (potentially entertaining) folks who wish to make their living as entertainers. I'm aware of their propensity to fabricate drama to drive interest to get "clicks, likes, & subscribes" to increase marketability and therefore income. So, more power to them, but I'm not emotionally invested in those professional charlatans.

You, however, appear almost fanatically invested in them.

. . . like "I can tell you what sweater Angela Lansbury wore in episode 7 of Murder, She Wrote" level of commitment :laughing:

By any chance, are you related or connected to any of them?

We all should know where it was going when they called it the golden nugget.
It's all about clicks.

All of the involved parties are making more off of the clicks than the real jobs they all had, I probably watched longer than I should have but I've been out on all of the connected utubbers involved.

Ed is a prop. The truck is a prop. Maybe they will have some kind of warm ghey moment where HeavyDsparks flies Ed to the mine in his fucking BLACKHAWK. For the clicks. Brought to you by Squarespace and NordVPN. And soon Carl's Jr.
You forgot athletic greens.

Yes, discussing these (potentially entertaining) folks who wish to make their living as entertainers. I'm aware of their propensity to fabricate drama to drive interest to get "clicks, likes, & subscribes" to increase marketability and therefore income. So, more power to them, but I'm not emotionally invested in those professional charlatans.

You, however, appear almost fanatically invested in them.

. . . like "I can tell you what sweater Angela Lansbury wore in episode 7 of Murder, She Wrote" level of commitment :laughing:

By any chance, are you related or connected to any of them?
Holy crap, you sure do assume a lot of facts not in evidence.

Here's the extent of my fandom:

• I watched some videos.
  • I remember what I saw and heard.
  • And I have commented on them.

You are sure reaching for any way to substantiate your pre-conceived notions.

Holy crap, you sure do assume a lot of facts not in evidence.

Here's the extent of my fandom:

• I watched some videos.
  • I remember what I saw and heard.
  • And I have commented on them.

You are sure reaching for any way to substantiate your pre-conceived notions.
OR . . .

I'm just typing random shit to fuck with you :flipoff2:

there is a talent to being on tv and being watchable. Matt has it. lizzy has it. Matt's kids have it. Paul and his brother have it. Matts wife, pauls wife, pauls kids, robbie and his crew, don't.

they want to build their audience. people like me who just like the regular stuff, pulling people out, fixing stuff, doing some builds are already watching SO, they have to add the other bullshit to keep growing. American business, if you aren't growing 20% a year, you are shrinking. It is why there is life cycle.

The nugget project probably started off as 'this is kind of a cool story and it would be fun' and then it got out of control... now, Paul is teasing a new project and it will be silly. I just hope they get past all the silly and do some regular stuff that I find much more entertaining.

Most companies I’ve worked with skip a truck and go straight to a skid steer with winch setup. Easier to get to in the northeast.
B6FE7906-6CEB-46D3-BB95-FC81684036EB.jpeg

But for truck, I’m sure you’ve seen BSF recovery or hill auto body in Washington. They both have great channels with no click bait. They run exactly what I’m taking about plus BSF runs a sling. Most off-road haul outs benefit from a sling and it’s much lighter than a wheel lift. With super singles BSF would have an ideal truck. We used to have a 550 set up that way and would trailer it to the trail head.
This would be a workable setup on flat ground, no roots, no sharp rocks, and the ability to trailer it to the site.

That just doesn't make sense outside of a dedicated jobsite. Tracked skidsteers suck on off slopes and sidehills. Rubber tracks aren't great in the snow and they're terrible on ice. Having owned a CAT 247B, I can attest to those conditions. The expensive tracks are also easily damaged on sharp roots and rocks. It just doesn't make sense to trailer the rig when you can just use kinetic ropes, winches, snatch blocks, and other implements on the tow rig or other 4wd recovery rig.

It would be a cool site specific setup to have around on a jobsite, but they wouldn't work well for much outside of that, at least not in the west. I can't imagine why it would be any better in the east.

But for truck, I’m sure you’ve seen BSF recovery or hill auto body in Washington. They both have great channels with no click bait. They run exactly what I’m taking about plus BSF runs a sling. Most off-road haul outs benefit from a sling and it’s much lighter than a wheel lift. With super singles BSF would have an ideal truck. We used to have a 550 set up that way and would trailer it to the trail head.
I agree that BSF is under-appreciated. Dude is a good driver, a solid wrench, and achieves a lot without a whizz-bang rig. But he is not the typical youtube 'hey look at me' type.

Top Back Refresh