What's new

Major Bridge in Baltimore Collapses After Being Struck by Cargo Ship

On a filed trip with a bunch of 8th graders from California on the bus driving to Philadelphia. I see a river and a Baltimore sign and ask how close will we be to the bridge collapse. As she's asking the driver because she doesn't know, I look out the window and say, "I think that's it right there"

20240411_090754.jpg
20240411_090750.jpg

Buddy of mine is there cutting up the bridge. Says they won't let them burn underwater due to stored energy, so right now they are using saws and shears, which you can set and back away from.

Now he thinks he's famous because he made the news.
I called him a fag.

Damn Mexican from Nebraska.

Your friend doesn't get paid nearly enough, that's some really dangerous work. 10k an hour wouldn't get me down there :eek: . I'm sure they 10 engineers looking at every move, but still ....

Offloading containers with that crane has to be slower than molasses and then they have limited space to stack them. Do they plan to offload the entire ship or just enough to clear the sketchy containers and get the rest back to port where it can be offloaded with the port equipment?
I'm surprised they don't lift the whole stack or part of it. Not like they're lacking for crane capacity. :laughing:

I saw something that said they were lifting 3 at a time when they could.

Are they triple rigging them? The twist locks they use to secure the containers to each other while on the ship are barely strong enough for that purpose. Can't imagine they could handle the vertical load of lifting two containers beneath them.

Are they triple rigging them? The twist locks they use to secure the containers to each other while on the ship are barely strong enough for that purpose. Can't imagine they could handle the vertical load of lifting two containers beneath them.
no idea but I had the same thoughts.

Could also be fake news.

Hook the sling hooks the bottom container. Clip the sling ropes to the holes in the top container so the whole stack can't tip over.

That dude's a moron and it way out of his element when it comes to bridge construction. Pillars? Trestle sections? Where are those on that bridge?

And the stern is sitting out of the water because the bow is buried in the mud? :confused:

Trestle sections are them triangle things over the top that held the roadway up below .
Pillers were the columns of steel sticking up out of the water.
The stern is up because the bow is being held down by tons of steel and road bed so therefore since the bottom is muddy it's in the mud

Trestle sections are them triangle things over the top that held the roadway up below .
No they aren't.

Pillers were the columns of steel sticking up out of the water.
No they aren't.

The stern is up because the bow is being held down by tons of steel and road bed so therefore since the bottom is muddy it's in the mud

Not the way he described it.

Not worth arguing about

Weak. There are/were no trestle sections or pillars on that bridge. If someone's going to be putting out technical videos they should have a clue what the fuck they're talking about.

There are entire ongoing debates on various Facebook crane groups arguing if it’s ever acceptable to lift a loaded container hooked to the top corners like that because somebody, somewhere supposedly heard about one folding up. Probably because whatever was in it was heavy and directly in the middle.

To expedite removal of the under water sections why don’t they get a tow boat with one of those woo pow Cummings and a big bubba rope and tow the big sections out for the way then they can cut them up later?

To expedite removal of the under water sections why don’t they get a tow boat with one of those woo pow Cummings and a big bubba rope and tow the big sections out for the way then they can cut them up later?
Because it's too far for them to get replacement U joints in from Steve300xcw when they blow them apart from the monster horse torques provided by the fuel creating Cummings engine...

Aaron Z

There are entire ongoing debates on various Facebook crane groups arguing if it’s ever acceptable to lift a loaded container hooked to the top corners like that because somebody, somewhere supposedly heard about one folding up. Probably because whatever was in it was heavy and directly in the middle.

How do they think they lift them every single day?
1712884443482.png

Well it is using a spreader bar, but I'm no expert on rigging those boxes.

With the length of the slings in that pic we were talking about, it might as well be a vertical pick.

Now, doing that with way shorter legs and like a 10 or 15 degree sling angle would probably be a problem on a heavy container. I can definitely say it's not a problem on an empty container when you need to unload a truck and all you have are the few chains they were using to tie it down. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh